KillerKowz
Level 7
I just finished rebuilding my box about two days ago with:

i7 Krabby Lake, 7700k at 4.2ghz with Coolmaster 212 Evo External fan
16gb Ripjaw Series V Ram, DDR4
Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger
Geforce 950
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1050W PSU

So I plugged everything, double checked that everything was connected that could be connected, checked the instructions in the user manual in case I forgot something on the motherboard and every time I turn it on I got a 04 Q code on the motherboard which means "PCH initializing before microcode loading".

I checked some other forums which implies that my CPU is bad but this is only my second complete build and a coworker of mine said it is more likely that the motherboard is faulty due to the package being X-rayed during shipping than the CPU being bad. I am just trying to get some other thoughts before I try to send anything back.

Any help would be appreciated.
32 REPLIES 32

Nate152
Hi KillerKowz

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Have you updated the bios before installing your cpu? You'll need to do this for the motherboard to recognize the cpu.

Use the bios flashback feature to update the bios, all you need is a usb stick and power to the motherboard.

I have not, I can't get a signal to my monitor to view anything (if that makes a difference at all to your post). No post boot, or beeps nothing.

Would I download the Motherboard firmware/software and plug the USB into the slot and let it do its thing? I was/am under the assumption that you wouldn't have to install any software for the motherboard for it to recognize the CPU. This is a completely new build. The only thing that isn't fresh from Newegg is my PSU.

Keep in mind though, this is my first complete build in 9 years so maybe things have changed and I just don't know about the advances/changes to the process. So in advance, I apologize for any silly questions that may seem common place.

I forgot to mention that I have checked my RAM, made sure my RAM was set correctly, tried using a different GPU, and have removed all the RAM and checked and got a different Q code so I don't think the RAM is bad.

Thank you for the welcome, I appreciate it.

Nate152
Here are the steps to updating the bios, it's listed in the manual too. You don't need to have display or be in the bios just power to the motherboard.

1) Format an empty usb flash drive to .FAT32.
2) Download the latest bios from the Asus Support Center (3401). https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-RANGER/HelpDesk_Download/
3) Extract the bios file to the usb flash drive.
4) Rename the bios file to M8R.CAP
5) Insert the usb flash drive into the ROG Connect port.
6) Press and hold the bios flashback button until it starts flashing.
7) When the flashing stops, start your pc.

Let us know how it goes.

I will try that when I get home today. Thank you

So I got home and I plugged everything in, placed the CPU, graphics card, RAM, and hooked it up to power. At this point I have NOT turned the computer on. Right now the USB drive has not been made into a bootable drive but has the M8R.CAP file on the flash drive. I have pushed and held the Bios button for up to 2 minutes while it would flash, hold for a second then flash again, making me think I held too long but then once I stopped pressing it the light turns solid but won't turn off. Then as soon as I turn on the computer the bios button turns off and the same thing happens. Am I missing something?

Nate152
Yeah it sounds like it's not flashing properly, the flashing should get faster and faster then stop and take about 90 seconds to complete.

Redo the bios file and rename it again, it might be best to put it on an empty flash drive if you have one. Make sure the flash drive is formatted to .FAT32

After you download it, extract it to the flash drive then rename it.

I used an empty usb drive from the start. I redownloaded the bios firmware to ensure that it was the one that was compatible with my 4.2ghz CPU then reformatted the USB drive before copying it over again and renaming the CAP file to M8R.CAP and removed it from the file and left it inside the file. I hold the button until it cycles which is Flash - flash - flash, then it repeats the same thing for as long as I hold it. Then it will flash for a bit longer then the blue light will go solid. I turn on the PC and it turns off immediately with an 04 Qcode or a 00 Qcode. When I remove the CPU from the motherboard it won't turn on at all (from my research is is supposed to?) I have the RAM in the A2 slot which I guess is recommended and I got nothing.

Nate152
Ok thank you

Hold the bios flashback button until you see it flash once then release.

It won't start until you get the bios flashed.

You can install both sticks of ram in slots A2 - B2 which are the recommended slots.

I will try that tomorrow before I call Asus and see if they have any other troubleshooting ideas.

So far every time the blue Bios light is on, every time I power up the motherboard the blue light shuts off and I get the same Qcode. I will continue to try but it seems like the motherboard is bad. Thank you for your help, I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.