cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mounting 3D printed M.2 fan holder

HarlemSquirrel
Level 7
So I've printed and secured a fan to the m.2 fan holder but can't seem to find a good way to attach it. Has anyone had any luck? It looks like I need longer screws and spacers or standoffs.
3 REPLIES 3

Ross350
Level 7
there are 2 motherboard screws below the M.2 slot (ones that secure the motherboard to the case.)
unscrew them and then they go through the fan holder you printed, through the motherboard and into the case.
I don't even think ASUS know how they work lol.66491

Korth
Level 14
Those mobo holes look metal-lined, like they're attached to PCB ground plane and are meant to have metal screws and metal standoffs and metal chassis, lol. I'm a firm believer in having proper electrical contacts, lol, at least on high-spec or overclocked hardware.

But you can probably use longer screws if the existing ones aren't long enough to tap through your M.2 plastic to the mobo to the standoffs. Shouldn't cause any electrical faults. You might need to be careful about mechanical stress, don't overtighten the screw and crack your mobo PCBs.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

These were the ones I used. Just slightly longer than the ones that came with my case:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DAOETHM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I liked the wide head to avoid cracking the 3D plastic bracket. Size is 6-32 x 5/16. If you need longer, the next size up would be 6-32 x 3/8.