cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3.1 & ErP

IsaacV2
Level 7
Hello,

I'm having some troubles with the ErP (both s5 and s4+s5) and also when i hit the switch on my power supply.

every time i enable ErP or shut down my power supply, the next startup is a 4-6 times loop of bios updating
after that every bios setting is back to what i configured and everything works fine. it just takes a long time to get there.
i even replaced the MB battery, even though my clock wasn't resetting after a complete power down. didn't helped.
i updated my bios to 3701, reset every setting, started from scratch. still encountering the same problem.

my specs are:
ASUS Mainboard RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3.1
BIOS version 3701
Intel Core i7-5960X
CORSAIR 1500W 80 PLUS TITANIUM AX1500i DIGITAL MODULAR PSU (i know, overkill)
(everything else shouldn't matter)

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated
6 REPLIES 6

Menthol
Level 14
IsaacV2,
everything else may mater in this case
When you make changes in the bios, or remove standby power by turning off power supply, or add hardware such as pcie cards, memory modules, etc. the bios needs to test the functionality of all hardware and devices before booting, this may be what you are referring to as updating, after the first full boot it then boots normally you should be OK
Does erp function as expected?

hi mentol,
thx for the quick reply

yes, the erp works as intended, everything shuts down to a minimum.
i just encounter issues when i start the pc up again when erp is enabled

it posts a message after bios promt that that bios is updating and that i should not power down
then reboots and loops that a few times before resuming normal function

i didnt change any hardware or other setting in the bios, just erp.
if i disable erp, the pc boots up just fine.

edit: pc specs in my profile

could the power supply be the problem?
i have to use an adapter ...

or it seems like the board is loading the second (backup) bios and updates it to the primary one :confused:

i know its a luxury problem but the MB stand by LED (orange) and the mouse lights really bother me at night...

Menthol
Level 14
IsacV2,
Go into the bios main page where it shows the bios information and firmware versions and check if there is any firmware that doesn't show the version or shows N/A
Some bios versions that update other firmware require both bios files to be updated or when you change from one bios to the other it will go through the update process
Why it is doing this when changing erp I do not know unless you have a corrupted bios, I had to purchase a couple new bios chips once because both were corrupted, for MEI version showed N/A is why I ask to check, sometimes flashing the bios using the Flashback method can correct the bios sometimes not

I don't think it is your power supply, what kind of adapter are you using? The same lights bother me also, especially mouse and keyboard

I checked if the bios version is showing correctly and it does.
is there a specific thing i have to do to update the backup bios?
it should do this automatically right?

yes, it really seems like after a complete power down (ErP or powersupply switch),
my system selects to the backup bios and then has to fetch the data from the main bios.
or the other way around.
really weird.

anything i can do without soldering new pieces?

Never mind.
I solved the problem in a very Low-Tech fashion.

*apply sharpie to light source* done

i tinkered for weeks now and my guess is there is something wrong in the hardware, i did everything i could software-wise.

thx anyway for trying to help me menthol ❤️