cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme won't POST

Jbonnett
Level 8
Hi All,
I have the weirdest issue yet, today I turned on my PC and installed a driver for a new mouse (at the time I had two mouses plugged in and working) I then reinstalled my graphics drivers with a clean install due to previous issues after installing CUDA. This clean install restarted my system and now won't boot. Not even to the BIOS.

Things that I have tried:
- Disconnecting both mice
- Disabling PCIe devices using the dim switch
- Cleared the BIOS (Clear CMOS button)
- Flashing the BIOS (flashback method)
- Removing PCIe devices (one by one)
- Removing RAM (one by one)

The only tell tale signs I have is that the CPU_LED is lit and the fourth lane next to the dim switch is flashing with the second and third lit constantly along with a Q-Code of 00.

Baring in mind only the first and third slots are populated.

Please help.

Thanks,
Jamie
12 REPLIES 12

Menthol
Level 14
Qcode 00 can indicate a bad CPU or motherboard but also a corrupted bios
Have you tried switching to the other bios?
Can you enter the bios?
Check CPU socket and remount heatsink/block carefully without over tightening one stick of RAM, OS drive and keyboard mouse only
If it is a faulty CPU or motherboard you have to RMA one or the other to determine which one is faulty or take your system to a store that can determine which is bad

Menthol wrote:
Qcode 00 can indicate a bad CPU or motherboard but also a corrupted bios
Have you tried switching to the other bios?
Can you enter the bios?
Check CPU socket and remount heatsink/block carefully without over tightening one stick of RAM, OS drive and keyboard mouse only
If it is a faulty CPU or motherboard you have to RMA one or the other to determine which one is faulty or take your system to a store that can determine which is bad

I can't enter the BIOS.
I've already taken these steps, if the CPU is damaged then I most certainly have a faulty motherboard too as I have already RMA'd my CPU before in this motherboard.

Nixon2992
Level 7
You use XMP profile and you cpu is Broadwell-E die IMC, motherboard is not broken, broken only CPU.

Отправлено с моего SGP611 через Tapatalk

Nixon2992 wrote:
You use XMP profile and you cpu is Broadwell-E die IMC, motherboard is not broken, broken only CPU.

All my timings and voltages .etc are manual, so no XMP. Most of this post is an assumption and not really figuring out the source of the problem.

But thank you anyway.

Jbonnett wrote:
All my timings and voltages .etc are manual, so no XMP. Most of this post is an assumption and not really figuring out the source of the problem.

But thank you anyway.
Post code 00 and red cpu LED always indicate cpu death, if only POST 00 and no leds, for example Linux live image booting process, it normally. Can you tell VCC SA voltage you cpu before death, if it will be greater than 1.35 you simply slow burn cpu.

Nixon2992 wrote:
Post code 00 and red cpu LED always indicate cpu death, if only POST 00 and no leds, for example Linux live image booting process, it normally. Can you tell VCC SA voltage you cpu before death, if it will be greater than 1.35 you simply slow burn cpu.

My vcore was 1.3v (when I actually use the overclock, which I only do for benchmarking), so that wasn't a problem, see here: https://valid.x86.fr/6qwjjd. I really do believe it's the board as when my last CPU gave up I didn't have any indication like this not only that I had problems with the board when I first got it e.g. the packaging (brand new) was a bit on the broken side and the pins were bent which meant I claim on warranty and the company that I bought it from wouldn't take it back.

So having bought a £500 motherboard I was very disappointed and my only option was to bend the pins back. This was about 1-2 years ago.

With bent pins:

Fixed bent pins:

The bit I don't get is if it's the CPU I should still be able to get in the BIOS at least, which I can not.

I did try following this post by EasyLover https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?78926-Random-00-no-post&p=553513&viewfull=1#post553513. But I couldn't get past the put CPU back in and test, I also tried to see if I get a different Q-Code without a CPU in and it's the same.

Not trying to jack your thread, read it since it is relevant to my current needs. I came home from work and experianced the same issue. I was running no XMP or O/C. Turned the computer on and got no post, no beeps, QC-00 and no leds except BIOS selection. Disconnected everything and removed memory and video cards, same result. Performed PSU self test, was good, and then tried different PSU and same result on start. Removed and reset CPU, no change. I am guessing board since the first couple times all fans would move initially then stop and now only processor fans get power (top right plugs), rest get no power. I will reply back if new board fixes it or if it is CPU. Best of luck on your rig.

NiteShaft
Level 7
I would like to make a suggestion, unplug your OC panel from your motherboard and see if that fixes your issue. I ran in to the same issue about a week ago, I upluged the OC panel, and everything is up and working fine.

NiteShaft wrote:
I would like to make a suggestion, unplug your OC panel from your motherboard and see if that fixes your issue. I ran in to the same issue about a week ago, I upluged the OC panel, and everything is up and working fine.

I've never used the OC panel so that isn't a problem.