cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temp and volt

Psycrow
Level 11
Hi

I had my new pc for few month now and i know i asked before, but my current idle temp on my i7 7700k is around 35 c. idle
and under load its 70 c. ish using prime95 and i know its a heater software but just for a quick test i got these results.

I have build a pc for my friend using a z170 deluxe board and a i7 6700 cpu and now he bought the same cpu cooler like i have.
The noctua NH-D15S with 2 fans setup.

He gets like 25c. idle and i find that ridicules low compared to my 35c. 😄
I know you cant compare these 2 cpu but realy 10 c. in differnce ?

My cpu runs 4.5 automatic OC. by default
and his cpu runs 4.2 automatic OC. by default

Then i want to check my volt settings since they are set to auto and i want to set my cpu to 1.2 v because i heard aoto settings can overheat voltage a littel.
So how do i set my vold right in bios. Using a maximus IX board ??

Something with manaual or adaptive offset?

Im use to set volt on my old pc but bios keep getting more and more advanced
53 REPLIES 53

tommiboi
Level 7
Thats just the 7700K for you in a nutshell. Those CPU run very hot. 70C is actually low temp for an air cooler. You cant really compare the CPU's with each other. I have 6600k running at 30 to 35 C at Idle. Then again am putting in 1.4 V in to my chip... but load temps are max 63 C 🙂
Try more, Try harder, Try and previal

Nate152
Hi Psycrow

Check to see if the voltage is throttling at idle.

To set 1.20v, in the bios on the extreme tweaker tab scroll down to CPU Core/Cache voltage and select adaptive mode then just below that the "Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage Override" appears.

Enter in 1.20v in the Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage Override, if it's going over 1.20v under load then you'll have to use a negative offset.

Psycrow
Level 11
I dont understand it anymore.
Atm its set to automatic volt in bios and the cpu is set to balance, so when idle it goes down to like 1200 ish mhz " usual jumps alot up and down in mhz" but it idles on like 0.800 ish volt and under prime95 loads it shows 4500 mhz 1.200 v

Then if i turn off prime 95 and watching cpu z, then it shows 1,248V and 4500 mhz when there is activity for a short second..what does all this means ?

I havent seen the volt go over 1.248.

But if i set the volt manuel then it will stay on ect 1.200 even when idle on 1200 mhz ? and i dont want that to happend.

How or what/where do i set my volt right in bios so it still used low volt under idle and a max volt uner load.

I want to see if i can score a lower temp by finding the right volt.

tommiboi
Level 7
Do you use HWiNFO64 Program ?

wanting lower temps will nearly impossible with a 7700K. yes undervolting will help in the end with some of the heat problems. But really 70C is great temp. maybe setting the fans a little bit more higer on idle.

Delidding is the best way to loose temps and after that a custome loop.

Btw maybe you are confusing VID voltage with Vcore voltage.

Nate152
Use adaptive mode as I suggested in my post above.

Also try a lower level of LLC say 3 or 4, this is found in the DiGi+ section of the bios.

Psycrow
Level 11
Using cpu z and real temp and speccy

Psycrow
Level 11
I tryed to enter adaptive mode and with a + under that menu and then i set the volt to 1.160 but that dident change anything.
Since cpu z was showing idle volt under 1.0 and load 1.248 ish under load.

What did i do wrong here ?
I set the bios back to auto again

Do i need to change the + to a - ?

Nate152
Yes try a negative offset of -0.048v, this should put the cpu voltage at 1.20v under load.

Nate152 wrote:
Yes try a negative offset of -0.048v, this should put the cpu voltage at 1.20v under load.

What Nate 152 said and then lower it with 0.005 after every test.