cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU advice for a new gaming build

bfollowell
Level 9
I'm asking for some build advice for my adult son, specifically GPU advice. He is planning a new build using an Asus Z270 motherboard with an i5-7600k CPU. He's using an ASUS VG248QE, 1080p monitor. He wants a 1080, but I think that's way overkill for 1080p gaming. A 1070 should be more than enough, and maybe even a 1060. However, I know he's into competitive gaming and he's looking for ultimate frame rates. He's hoping to push up to the max of his 144Hz monitor. Also, he is considering starting to stream his games, which I know will have an impact as well, so what do I know. I guess a 1080 would help future proof him a little too.

What do you guys suggest for a graphics card given the above information? He's mostly into FPS games. Currently, his main title is Rainbow Six Siege, but he also plays several of the Battlefield games and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.

Any opinions?

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

haihane
Level 13
hearing what you said, i feel compelled to share this with you.
allow me to go on a slight storytelling mode:

when i was young, my late dad told me: you don't blame your equipment, but find ways in which you can improve.

up until this date, i took his word to heart. in fact, i've seen quite a few friends of mine, to their own detriment, would rather blame their equipments than their own lack of perseverance. while i don't know what type of competitive gaming your son is going to pursue; i feel the need to recommend you to this channel: Core A Gaming, one such example is this: Getting better at fighting games.

i can say with certainty that a GTX 1060 is enough for games like: Dota 2, Lol, CS GO, Hots (heroes of the storm), even World of tanks with all eyecandies enabled. ok, i'll give your son a little bit more slack, a GTX 1070 would be really-overkill. also, if you can find a chance, give your son a mention about Daigo Umehara's moment 37 parry.

the problem is this:human reaction time is the limiting factor, not GPU framerates. no human can react anywhere as fast. give the video a watch in its entirety.

you can spend the money instead to invest on a really good Monitor with lowest input lag, lowest response time. this will help much more than spending money on a GTX 1080s 1080Tis.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

Bahz
Level 12
I would suggest not going anything above a GTX 1070 for 1080P gaming. You can easily max out 144fps on practically all games at 1080P with a GTX 1070.

kkn
Level 14
it all comes down to what games he plays, you have heavy graphic demanding games, and you have games with low graphic demands.

you even have those who turn down the graphics just to have less "traffic" on the internet speed towards the game server ( online server ).

on the monitor you have respomce time witch may be alpha and omega at times, but this can come down to the ping between the player and the server and back again.

you have keyboard and mouse lag too witch can have "lag" on it ( time from pressed button until pc gets the signal and reakts on it ).

so i fhe wants to play compettative he have to start thinking about things like that, witch can get expensive in the end.

and for streaming purposes i would advice on a i7 cpu.