cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC won't boot after running bios update!

XGZiDeus
Level 9
Hello RoG

I got a notification from the Asus live update app (comes pre installed on Asus computers).. It was a bios update and I didn't think I should be concerned about it even though I didn't want to touch the bios, I did trust the update since it came from Asus.. So I went ahead and followed the prompts., after downloading the update it prompted for a reboot to complete the update, I did that but during the reboot process an error message flashed saying the update was unsuccessful. I did not get to read the full message because it disappeared right away. After that, my  pc will NOT boot any more. I tried basic troubleshooting like turning it off and unplugging it then pressing the power button for 45 seconds (usually works for laptops).. Didn't work, I just see the RGB lights and the fan turn on when I attempt to boot the pc, that's all that happens. Monitor remains black, nothing boots at all.

Terribly disappointed how an Asus update ruins my 1 month old pc!
8 REPLIES 8

Nate152

Nate152 wrote:
Hi XGZiDeus

What pc or motherboard do you have ?

Hello

After countless attempts I managed to get into the bios and I ran a recovery and had to start from scratch. Got my pc to factory settings and back to square one but at least it's running now. I'm now in the process of testing everything.

One odd thing I notice though, the SDD installed on the 2.5" bay appears on the tool bar like a removable USB device as seen here 66429

It wasn't like this before and this shouldn't be. Not sure how to remedy this and why this happened.. I'm all ears.

Thanks

FonzieBulldog
Level 9
Strange.Have one hardware updated Asus G20CB and one with a Asus Hero VIII motherboard with lots of modifications and have never got any of these messages from Asus live update.

This is a weird situation and the tech people I've asked haven't seen this sort of thing either. I did check the properties of the drive and I'm seeing the removal policy saying something about windows caching and the drive appearing on the notification as a removable hardware.. It's the "default" setting.

Can't say if it's related or not., or it could just be a result of the new bios upgrade.. Clueless really at this point. Please see attachment.

Eleiyas
Level 10
As asked above, which PC or Motherboard is this on?

Eleiyas wrote:
As asked above, which PC or Motherboard is this on?

It's the RoG GD30-CI Strix -- https://www.asus.com/us/Tower-PCs/ROG-STRIX-GD30CI/Features/

Eleiyas
Level 10
Well, it's good you managed to get it to boot after a botched BIOS update as that usually bricks the board.

Only thing(s) I can recommend in order to try to fix everything is to manually flash the latest BIOS using a USB flash drive, and then you may also need to reinstall Windows.

Eleiyas wrote:
Well, it's good you managed to get it to boot after a botched BIOS update as that usually bricks the board.

Only thing(s) I can recommend in order to try to fix everything is to manually flash the latest BIOS using a USB flash drive, and then you may also need to reinstall Windows.

Appreciate the input. I have not tried a bios flash, I fear I may encounter the original problem again if I do that. So far I have done further tests and here's what I observed aside from the SSD appearing as a removable drive:

1) Games installed on the SSD appearing as a removable drive boots and loads much longer. Figured because it is read as a removable drive, read/write processes are slowed down as a result.

2) Waking up after putting it on a sleep state takes so much longer (2-3 minutes) compared to starting it up (from a shut down state) which only takes around 15-20 seconds.

Called Asus CS but they have not provided me a solution either. This is such a let down.