cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power limit throttling - A general question

player1_fanatic
Level 7
I have noticed with my GT502VMK (GTX 1060) that only throttling in games I can have is due to power limit . It's either that or no load (no frame data from CPU, or throttling due to slow CPU). Checked with MSI Afterburner.

So, is power limit throttling of GTX 1060 per design?
Essentially is it how it was configured by nVidia, making GTX 1060 for laptops perform per specification?

I am generally curious. I do not needs tips on how to unvervolt or bypass the limit.
7 REPLIES 7

Bahz
Level 12
How did you come to conclusion that the throttling is caused by the power limit on the GPU? What games are you playing when you're experiencing the throttling? What graphics driver version are you currently on? What temps are you getting under load after about 1 hour or so of gaming?

Just a random thing I remembered, back quite a few years ago my friend had a laptop that was constantly experiencing similar issues that you've explained. In the end the solution was to disable the onboard graphics and it resolved the issue because on 2D or low performance application it will use the onboard graphics and for high performance profile apps it will use the dedicated graphics card + the onboard graphics. He actually had issues where his dedicated graphics kept down-clocking and he wasn't able to game properly. He tried a bunch of software to adjust clock speeds and change other settings, however nothing worked until he saw a post on one of the forums suggesting him to try and disable the onboard graphics and that ended up fixing the issue.

Bahz wrote:
Just a random thing I remembered, back quite a few years ago my friend had a laptop that was constantly experiencing similar issues that you've explained. In the end the solution was to disable the onboard graphics and it resolved the issue because on 2D or low performance application it will use the onboard graphics and for high performance profile apps it will use the dedicated graphics card + the onboard graphics. He actually had issues where his dedicated graphics kept down-clocking and he wasn't able to game properly. He tried a bunch of software to adjust clock speeds and change other settings, however nothing worked until he saw a post on one of the forums suggesting him to try and disable the onboard graphics and that ended up fixing the issue.

Yeah I have seen this before as well back in the early Optimus days. Luckily we don't see this too often anymore as Nvidia has really ironed out their drivers for Optimus notebooks.

Unfortunately I don't think this would be the issue for the OP as the laptop in question uses its dedicated GPU exclusively.

Bahz wrote:
How did you come to conclusion that the throttling is caused by the power limit on the GPU? What games are you playing when you're experiencing the throttling? What graphics driver version are you currently on? What temps are you getting under load after about 1 hour or so of gaming?

Easy. MSI Afterburner has an option to show OSD indicator about what kind of throttling is happning for GPU.

No Load = not enough frames from CPU or when locked to 60fps
Power = power limit I have
Temperature = throttling due to high temperature of GPU. Had this often with my old GTX 960M (G551JW).
Voltage = Not sure exactly how this one differs from power limit. I happened to get this only when using battery power.

GPU temps were around 78-82. Playing Andromeda at around 40-60fps at ultra preset in 1080p. Newest drivers.

Anyway, I just do not know if this is normal, per design behavior, or an actual problem.

player1_fanatic wrote:
Easy. MSI Afterburner has an option to show OSD indicator about what kind of throttling is happning for GPU.

No Load = not enough frames from CPU or when locked to 60fps
Power = power limit I have
Temperature = throttling due to high temperature of GPU. Had this often with my old GTX 960M (G551JW).
Voltage = Not sure exactly how this one differs from power limit. I happened to get this only when using battery power.

GPU temps were around 78-82. Playing Andromeda at around 40-60fps at ultra preset in 1080p. Newest drivers.

Anyway, I just do not know if this is normal, per design behavior, or an actual problem.

Can you post a picture of the afterburner graph, showing gpu clocks and usage when this happens?

Usually swaps between Power and No Limit every couple of seconds:

I've seen "Voltage" limit also when GPU maximizes clock around 18XXMhz, with low load (50%, capped fps to 60).

Usually operates in 16XXMhz range, going above to 17XXMHz and 18XXMHz when low load (when capped to 60fps, and for some reason much more common on windowed mode). Not to be confused with scenarios with very low load (like menus), when it downclocks to around 800-900Mhz.

player1_fanatic wrote:
Usually swaps between Power and No Limit every couple of seconds:

I've seen "Voltage" limit also when GPU maximizes clock around 18XXMhz, with low load (50%, capped fps to 60).

Usually operates in 16XXMhz range, going above to 17XXMHz and 18XXMHz when low load (when capped to 60fps, and for some reason much more common on windowed mode). Not to be confused with scenarios with very low load (like menus), when it downclocks to around 800-900Mhz.

Looks normal to me. That's right in line with the core clocks I get it at stock settings, and according to Notebookcheck (which is usually pretty damn spot on with their information and benchmarks) the mobile variant of the 1060 should have load core clocks of 1506 (Base) to 1708 (Boost) MHz.

I can't speak for the limit AfterBurner is showing, but I am pretty confident that your 1060 is operating right in line with what it should be.

Bahz
Level 12
We haven't got other reports of any similar issues, the problem could be hardware related if you already tried cleaning out all the drivers and reinstalling to the latest driver.