cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motherboard temperature from 1-255 °C

twangerke
Level 7
I can see this anomaly in Aida64 quite often:

The CPU temperature is also strange, but that's not the main trouble.
But the VRM and Chipset temperature jumps between 1°C and 255°C, and I have no idea what could cause this. Of course during these jumps I do not rinse my MO with hot liquid nitrogen, so these are false values. Did this happen to anyone else? Is my motherboard faulty? Or just the BIOS has this bug even after the latest update? Is a black hole about to open in my room?

Give me any ideas or tips!
13 REPLIES 13

Bill
Level 7
Hello twangerke
Can you provide more info about your build?
When did you start experiencing this?
Does this anomaly cause any malfunctions or performance drops?
Do you see this anomaly with indications other than Aida64 ?
Thank you

Bill@ASUS wrote:
Hello twangerke
Can you provide more info about your build?
When did you start experiencing this?
Does this anomaly cause any malfunctions or performance drops?
Do you see this anomaly with indications other than Aida64 ?
Thank you

Hmmm... I'm not sure what could be useful information about it. The Crosshair VI (w/o WiFi) is 1.5 months old with almost every other parts. The BIOS had to be updated before first use, because it didn't like the CPU (Ryzen 7 1800X). EVGA G3 750W PSU, 1 SSD, 2 HDD. 2 sticks of 8 GB RAM (3200 Hz, but running at 2133Hz, because the motherboard doesn't like TridentZ RGB too much (yet?)). GPU a bit old, and probably it causes some fast black flashing during a game. These temperature bouncings are not synchronized with those, and happen without any load (as it can be seen on the picture).
These happen since I had the board, I was just hoping that new BIOS would fix it, but it didn't.

I haven't experienced performance issues that could be directly linked to these moments. Sometimes they are quite rare, sometimes they come even more often than on the picture (fresh rate was 1 or 2 sec). I don't know any other programs that can make such diagrams about these temperatures, any ideas?

skellattarr
Level 10
what type of cooling do you have? I remember when I first got my board I was using a corsair h80 and I had temp spikes like that but I think it was just a freak reading anyway I got a Corsair 115i and haven't had any problem sence
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
Corsair Hydro Series H115i
G.SKILL Trident Z 3200mhz 64gb 4x16 timings 16,18,18,38
asus rog strix gtx 1080
TOSHIBA 3TB hdd 3x a total of 9tb, 10 tb hdd and a 1tb mushkin ssd
corsair axi 1200i 1200 watt psu
thermal take view 71 case

skellattarr wrote:
what type of cooling do you have? I remember when I first got my board I was using a corsair h80 and I had temp spikes like that but I think it was just a freak reading anyway I got a Corsair 115i and haven't had any problem sence

The CPU temps are not my main problem, the Chipset temperatures on the other hand can't be real ones.
But to answer: The case cooling is the 3 pieces of "stock" fan (14 mm) that came with the case, so probably some kind of NZXT fans.
The CPU has ""stock"" Wraith Max coolers on it.
(And I have 1 Arctic F8 fan placed at a strategic place to support the GPU's passive cooling)

I've recently noticed with latest non beta bios I was seeing minus temps in both hwinfo64 and aida64 but in bios the temps were showing normal. How could two programs show the same -77C while asus bios shows 30C? I know damn well I'm not getting -77 haha otherwise I'll be seeing ice in my case. Wonder what's causing that issue. Anyone else had this problem?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

VRBabe81 wrote:
I've recently noticed with latest non beta bios I was seeing minus temps in both hwinfo64 and aida64 but in bios the temps were showing normal. How could two programs show the same -77C while asus bios shows 30C? I know damn well I'm not getting -77 haha otherwise I'll be seeing ice in my case. Wonder what's causing that issue. Anyone else had this problem?

Most probably different reasons. In my case it's quite strange that it always jumps to exactly 1 or 255 °C. Like the 2 end values of a byte. No between, only when it shows normal values.

Polling issue, probably due to multiple tools running at the same time, or when the system is under load. It's just a mis-read, doesn't mean something is wrong with the system.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Polling issue, probably due to multiple tools running at the same time, or when the system is under load. It's just a mis-read, doesn't mean something is wrong with the system.

This is an old but current problem with this MB. My CPU and Chassie fans are dally speeding, pumping or stopping. The temperature readings from the MB changes between -74 and 0 and has an idle temp between 28 and 40 degrees. Stability tests on max load gives a steady 48 degrees. These temperature fluctuation will either stop the fan or make it got into full speed. Fan over speeds can be fixed by a small change in the FanXpert program. Under temp problems need a reboot. I have had these problems since the MB came out. I have had the MB replaced twice already. BIOS has been updated at least seven times now and still no fix. A reboot into BIOS resets the BIOS and all problems are gone for that time.

Waxinator wrote:
This is an old but current problem with this MB. My CPU and Chassie fans are dally speeding, pumping or stopping. The temperature readings from the MB changes between -74 and 0 and has an idle temp between 28 and 40 degrees. Stability tests on max load gives a steady 48 degrees. These temperature fluctuation will either stop the fan or make it got into full speed. Fan over speeds can be fixed by a small change in the FanXpert program. Under temp problems need a reboot. I have had these problems since the MB came out. I have had the MB replaced twice already. BIOS has been updated at least seven times now and still no fix. A reboot into BIOS resets the BIOS and all problems are gone for that time.

Try not running more than one monitoring tool at one time.