cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gtx 780ti matrix platinum hole burnt trough pcb

qwertz
Level 9
I recently had gtx 780ti matrix platinum burn a hole trough pcb near voltage regulator near middel of gpu board.
I opened it up and removed the burnt down voltage regualtor components , it ruled out one 8 pin power connector as those regulators were connected to it.
Now i connected it to test mb and psu and other 8 pin power light returs green if connected.

Is it safe to run the gpu further and does it now have higher potential to burn trough remaining voltage regulators?
Will gpu power/capabilities be limited if try to run it further on single 8 pin power?

Do short circuits in gpu risk to kill psu or it will more likely protect fast enough?
Do short circuits in gpu risk to kill motherboard trough the pci connector?
Will the forum bugs get fixed?
2 REPLIES 2

tommiboi
Level 7
Okay,,,,

Not sure how many watt your 780ti draws. I had 780 it it was abit over 250watt. Am guessing a 780ti model use abit more. Near 300watt on max power draw.
So i take it yoru card has 2x 8pin connector. 1x 8 pin stands for 150w and your PCE slot provide 75watt.

means you only provide a maximum wattage of 225 to your card. In the end your card will demand 250plus watt and will strain your pci slot and 1x 8 pin. I guess you can imagine what wil happen. Risk to burnout your PCI slot/Powersupplie.

But a power regulater is easy to replace. Also kinda curious how this could have happend
Try more, Try harder, Try and previal

tommiboi wrote:
Okay,,,,

Not sure how many watt your 780ti draws. I had 780 it it was abit over 250watt. Am guessing a 780ti model use abit more. Near 300watt on max power draw.
So i take it yoru card has 2x 8pin connector. 1x 8 pin stands for 150w and your PCE slot provide 75watt.

means you only provide a maximum wattage of 225 to your card. In the end your card will demand 250plus watt and will strain your pci slot and 1x 8 pin. I guess you can imagine what wil happen. Risk to burnout your PCI slot/Powersupplie.

But a power regulater is easy to replace. Also kinda curious how this could have happend

Happened on idle, and not mad ammounts dust on gpu cooler.
It seems that multilayer circuit traces short circuited eachothers levels and burnt quite big hole trough ,also layers for direct power from 8 pin conncetors appear to run on multilevel circuits on top eachother so it could burn for while until full board burnt to dust if noone stops it.

I think cause may have been stress/bend in card as it quite heavy and supported only by 1 half but as it has quite thick metal plate , it should have avoided bend. Also could have been troughout years many temperature cycles of cool/hot .
for some reason 2 or more layers of circuit board short circuited , or some other component heated quick and caused it to short circuit if that makes sense.

Luckily pc was stopped fast enough to prevent burning circuit board traces further. About 1-2cm black hole near middle voltage regulators.

I hope it wont at some point short circuit motherboard sided 75w power, atm pci power connectors are not shorted
Would rampage V have protection against short circuit on pci power?

Best case if itl run on 225w and auto limit core clock /voltage but it is very dangerous card if it once burn down already.
In gpu bios it should have power limits for each connector , regulator.
Will the forum bugs get fixed?