cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make memory stable at advertised speed but without XMP?(X99 Sabretooth)

Krzychc
Level 7
Hi,

I am having a bit of an issue with my memory. I am using 4x4 GB 3000 MHz CL15 from Corsair (CMK16GX4M4B3000C15, it is on the list of recommended RAM in mobo manual), Asus X99 Sabretooth motherboard and 5960X. Memory should work at 15-17-17-35 1.35V. It kinda does with XMP, but XMP uses 125 BCLK and I am not reaching stable overclocks with this way of memory setup. Without it I am fully stable in AIDA64 stress test with 4.7 GHz core and 4.5 GHz cache, both at 1.3V, which is great (my chip was advertised as binned, 4.8@1.38)

The problem is, when I try to set things manually, 3000 DRAM, 15-17-17-35, 1.35-1.4V, and 1.176 VCCSA (the same what XMP sets) I won't even boot, not only on 3000 but anything up from 2600 is not booting at all, there is even no signal to the display. Max is 2400 MHz, but at this frequency I am getting errors with 12-12-12-35, so pretty worthless. I would have kept it if it was doing CL10, but with this... 2400 boots with no changes to voltages, and then 2600 suddenly won't boot at all even with aggressive DRAM, VCCSA and VCCIN voltages.

So I would like to ask for an advice what to do and what tweaks to try, because my CPU is overclocking great, but so what if I am left with 2133 CL15 memory... Why can't it just boot when I set memory frequency manually?
Alternatively I would be thankful for advice on how to stabilize my overclocks assuming that I have to use this XMP, memory on this platform seems really complicated, on my previous platforms like Z97 or X79 memory was just one click and sometimes some small VCCSA tweak... but now things are looking pretty hopeless so far

Also I think an important information, I had MSI X99A SLI before, and even though it wasn't a good mobo, memory was booting with no issue at manually set DRAM frequency to 3200 MHz, so it doesn't look like that those sticks are bad.

Thanks in advance
4 REPLIES 4

Krzychc
Level 7
I have tried Memory BCLK 100:133 setting and it boots at 3200 MHz but throws errors even if timings are increased. With the same 100:133 setting smaller values like 2933 or 2666 won't boot at all. How can 3200 boot and 2600 not boot at the same time and the same settings... I will get different RAM kit and see if it changes anything. I had similar memory issues on previous mobo so it is either the fault of this RAM or my CPU cannot handle those frequencies. Will see.

tommiboi
Level 7
Remove all sticks but 1. Boot up see if it works, test it. Try all all sticks solo. Is your kit 4x4 of the same kit or is it 2x4 (2x), that is not to good.

Be sure your base clock is at 100 as well. If all is okay you can enter the value's of your ram.
Ram timming
Dram voltage
All info should be on your sticks.
Try more, Try harder, Try and previal

It is 4x4 kit.

Thats mostly my issue, even if everything is on default and I try to configure RAM only, by choosing DRAM frequency and adjusting timings and voltages to the ones from specs, it won't boot. Even at 2600 MHz, not only 3000. 2400 is max as I said. With XMP it boots at 3000 with all timing according to specs, but throws errors and limits my OC potential. So I wanted to try without XMP, but it just won't let me.

I have found the source of the errors with XMP memory setup. I have to set Fully Manual Mode to Enabled instead of Auto. Voltages remain the same as with Auto so I don't quite understand what is going on. Everything nice but with Fully Manual Mode I can set only stiff voltages, the are no options for adapative and etc.