cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What connection method to use when updating bios via internet?

Thomas_extreme_
Level 8
What internet connection method to use when updating bios via internet using ez flash 3?
8 REPLIES 8

haihane
Level 13
I'd rather you use the save to USB or drive method,
Go into bios, load the new flash, then flash it.

Safer.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

haihane wrote:
I'd rather you use the save to USB or drive method,
Go into bios, load the new flash, then flash it.

Safer.

I would rather flash via internet it is easier. What is the drive method?

Thomas extreme gamer wrote:
I would rather flash via internet it is easier. What is the drive method?

I'm old fashioned then.
I can't tell you any more about how to flash bios over the internet without knowing the particular model of the motherboard, desktop or laptop that you want to flash.

Purely by guessing... Follow what the GUI says, I guess?

Drive method: saving the bios file to a storage device. Example:
Crosshair vi hero motherboard. Once you downloaded the bios from the support site, you'd get: CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO-ASUS-1403.CAP
Save that thing in C:\ or in a USB drive (up to you)

Go to bios, load the bios with the flash utility built into bios. Hit flash (or something akin to that).
Done.

haihane wrote:
I'm old fashioned then.
I can't tell you any more about how to flash bios over the internet without knowing the particular model of the motherboard, desktop or laptop that you want to flash.

Purely by guessing... Follow what the GUI says, I guess?

Drive method: saving the bios file to a storage device. Example:
Crosshair vi hero motherboard. Once you downloaded the bios from the support site, you'd get: CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO-ASUS-1403.CAP
Save that thing in C:\ or in a USB drive (up to you)

Go to bios, load the bios with the flash utility built into bios. Hit flash (or something akin to that).
Done.

Can you download bios update file on the same pc you to flash? Example download bios update on ssd then go into bios load the and then flash is this correct, is this how the drive method works?

Can you download bios update file on the same pc you to flash? Example download bios update on ssd then go into bios load the and then flash is this correct, is this how the drive method works?

yeah.
done that on Crosshair V formula Z, and sabertooth mark 1.
easiest would be to put it on root folder, saves time digging through the subdirectories.

Nate152
I'd prefer to use a usb flash drive vs cd/dvd.

I've updated the bios via the internet, after you click via internet click DHCP that looks like the earth globe. It's easy, I wouldn't do it while there was a thunderstorm, you don't want power cut to the board during the update process. This is a reason people advise against it.

Did you get the bios updated ? If it's not storming you can do it via internet. 🙂

Chino
Level 15
What internet connection method to use when updating bios via internet using ez flash 3?

Put the BIOS file on an empty FAT32 formatted USB pendrive. Then flash from there within EZ Flash Utility.

AQUASTEVAE
Level 8
I have a bios button on my mobo, which is the easiest and safest way to update it. Turn off the computer, plug in the usb to the bios port, hold the bios flashback for three seconds, and it does all the rest. The light stops flashing when it's done, adn you just turn your system back on. Easy peasy!!!
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11