cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to run G751JY without battery?

ufotheswe
Level 7
I am having some serious problems with my G751JY, where the battery is always at 0% and won't charge - and on top of that I believe this makes the laptop shut down whenever it gets a little stressed (games, stresstests etc.). I think this is happening because when the laptop is stressed it needs to take some extra energy from the battery, but since my battery is dead the computer turns off. My hope is that if I take out the battery completely that it will stop to try to get energy from any other places than the PSU - which in turn will make my computer usable again.

So the question is; did anybody try to run their G751JY after completely disconnecting it? Or is there anything else you might think could help my situation?
10 REPLIES 10

Eleiyas
Level 10
Quite a few of these posts cropping up at the moment.

Here is what I recommend to do - because it CAN (not assuredly) fix the 0% battery issue.

Step 1 - Turn off the unit and unplug it

Step 2 - Hold power button for 1 minute (hard reset) - If the unit turns on, make sure it is turned off again

Step 3 - Plug in the unit and charge for around 12 hours - again, make sure the unit does not turn on

Step 4 - See if it works 🙂

Thanks I will for sure try this. Regarding step 2 I know it wont turn on because the battery is deader than disco. One question when it comes to hard reset; how does the PC know that I am doing a hard reset when there is 0 energy coming to it?

Regards

Eleiyas
Level 10
It's just to ensure that there is no remaining juice flowing around the mainboard.

Again, it may or may not work - it has worked for me though 🙂

warryabel
Level 7
without battery, i bet u couldnt get full performance!

warryabel wrote:
without battery, i bet u couldnt get full performance!

So you think the laptop uses both the PSU and the battery to function properly? That explains why my G751JY turns off all the time (since my battery is at 0% and not charging)

warryabel
Level 7
yes, but thats not my meaning, ive read this somewhere!

NeoBeum
Level 9
Hi, you can, but make sure HDD caching is disabled, so you don't corrupt drives if you accidentally kick the cable out

JustinThyme
Level 13
During extreme peak power usage the machine does draw from the battery as well as the brick. If there is no battery and you max out the brick it will shut down and not throttle.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Correct. Both the Battery and Brick are utilised at the same time. ;x

If you're always plugged into the wall with your gaming lappy, you can do a Cycle Check and will see your battery has actually gone through a lot of work.

So yes, you do need your battery, it does roughly 5-15% of the work.

One question when it comes to hard reset; how does the PC know that I am doing a hard reset when there is 0 energy coming to it?

Every computer has a battery, a small one, known as the CMOS.