cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Strix RX480 8GB (lost info on GPU-Z + problems)

guily6669
Level 7
Hi there,

I bought a brand new Asus Strix RX480 8GB quite a few time ago and since day one it only gave me problems (crashes, crashes, freezes, freezes, red screen of death...................). I had last silent bios update made.

Recently I saw a new update of the GPU Bios for system stability and memory optimisation... I downloaded, but it said my GPU didnt need the update.

I opened the update ".exe" with winrar and uncompressed the files and flashed my GPU manually with ATIWinFlash.exe successfully, but after that, GPU-Z lost some info and my GPU can't OC (changing to any mod on GPUTweak does nothing and MSI afterburner is also locked on everything).

GPU-Z reports:

Pixel Fillrate: Unknown
Texture Fillrate: Unknown
Bandwidth: Unknown
GPU Clock: 0 MHz Memory: 0 MHz

But the GPU is working properly at stock gaming mode clocks.

ANYWAY AFTER ALL OF THAT I FLASHED IT TO Asus Strix RX580 8GB and it seems now its way more stable than EVER, HOWEVER, THE SAME PROBLEM PERSIST:

- Unknown specs and still can't use any other OC mod from GPU TWEAK, no OC support anymore, MSI Afterburner also can't change anything

ps: Is there anyway to fix this?

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!
10 REPLIES 10

Bahz
Level 12
Flashing vBIOS to RX580 isn't recommended, it voids the warranty on your card when you flash it to a different model regardless if it's compatible due to same architecture. The issues you were having before were probably due to being changed to incompatible modded BIOS. If that's not the case then you should have sent back the card for RMA.

Everything happened before flashing to RX580 like I said... And I also sent the GPU for RMA before flashing anything and the result was they stole the original box and accessories and sent me the same GPU back with a paper tied to it saying the GPU was fully functional...

Anyway that has nothing to do with the problem I reported of missing info and lost OC mods after flashing it with the Strix RX480 firmware.

guily6669 wrote:
Everything happened before flashing to RX580 like I said... And I also sent the GPU for RMA before flashing anything and the result was they stole the original box and accessories and sent me the same GPU back with a paper tied to it saying the GPU was fully functional...

Anyway that has nothing to do with the problem I reported of missing info and lost OC mods after flashing it with the Strix RX480 firmware.

RMA instructions state to only send back the card itself and not include the accessories. I would recommend that you flash back it back to the original RX480 vBIOS and report this issue to the customer service team. I haven't see anyone else post similar issue on the forum so I assume this issue might be specific to your card. If they can't offer a solution then you should contact them again to see if they can provide you with a replacement.

You can apply for RMA and send me a PM with the serial number and RMA# and I can have our service team follow up on it so we can make sure you get a replacement.

Bahz wrote:
RMA instructions state to only send back the card itself and not include the accessories. I would recommend that you flash back it back to the original RX480 vBIOS and report this issue to the customer service team. I haven't see anyone else post similar issue on the forum so I assume this issue might be specific to your card. If they can't offer a solution then you should contact them again to see if they can provide you with a replacement.

You can apply for RMA and send me a PM with the serial number and RMA# and I can have our service team follow up on it so we can make sure you get a replacement.

I also have the same problem as mentioned above... its not specific to his card,

And this user seems to have a similar problem but with a diferent model

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?95359-Rx-470-gpu-tweak-issues

I already submited a ticket to support but still havent got a reply.

Bahz wrote:

I didnt send it to RMA my self... I took it back to the store and they sent it for RMA and took almost 2 months...

The store already contacted them for the case but they cant send my original retail box, they only can offer me a similar one which will have different serial numbers and therefore impact the selling price for a used GPU...

Anyway I have seen more people posting the same images of GPU-Z of their Strix and some also lost the info like mine.

One guy on the tutorial that flashed to Strix RX580 he didnt lost any info on GPU-Z, it shows exactly like if he had a strix RX580 with his RX480...

And the problem happened like I said before using the official Asus Strix RX480 bios upgrade for my GPU, but like I said it reported my GPU didnt need the bios update while I was having a lot of stability issues and that new bios improved stability...

So like I said I opened the oficial Vbios update with winrar and decompressed it and flashed one of the official firmwares inside for my RX480 (only flashed a compatible one since some reported that was for a different GPU)...
FB2791 wrote:
I also have the same problem as mentioned above... its not specific to his card,

And this user seems to have a similar problem but with a diferent model

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?95359-Rx-470-gpu-tweak-issues

I already submited a ticket to support but still havent got a reply.

Yep, SAME EXACT PROBLEM HERE.

But mine only happened after flashing my Asus Strix RX480 8 GB with the official latest bios update for my GPU (though like I said, I flashed it manually).

I also have made a backup of the bios with the GPU-Z, but flashing it still doesnt fix anything, it still has the lost info on GPU-Z and still can't use any OC mode on GPU Tweak, just like you it changes the value to strange numbers and applying anything does nothing.

Browni
Level 7
guily6669 wrote:

GPU-Z reports:

Pixel Fillrate: Unknown
Texture Fillrate: Unknown
Bandwidth: Unknown
GPU Clock: 0 MHz Memory: 0 MHz

ps: Is there anyway to fix this?

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

GPU-Z reports the same for me on an original RX580 T8G so it's not an Asus problem.

But here everything was properly displayed on GPU-Z and all OC modes (OC\gaming\silent) worked before flashing the BIOS.

Now, theres the missing info and not a single OC mode works...

Bahz
Level 12
I believe Browni is right, this issue is more so an issue with current AMD bug with their latest drivers which causes issues monitoring software from properly detecting the correct information. Might need to wait a few driver versions before this is fixed considering how AMD doesn't always fix the most common issues first...

Bahz wrote:
I believe Browni is right, this issue is more so an issue with current AMD bug with their latest drivers which causes issues monitoring software from properly detecting the correct information. Might need to wait a few driver versions before this is fixed considering how AMD doesn't always fix the most common issues first...

And what about loosing all OC mods, theres no way to OC my Strix anymore...