cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G11CD Windows 10 Upgrade Not Working

Chainz123
Level 7
Just curious if anyone else is having an issue upgrading Windows 10 ? I have a G11CD which is fine but anytime it downloads/installs the upgrade, when it comes up, my desktop is black and blank and nothing will work no matter where I click. I have to reset the PC to last usable environment. I just cut the upgrade attempts off. Not sure if I need this upgrade or not for the OS but if I can't use the system after the upgrade what's the point? It's not in warranty anymore so not sure ASUS would do anything. When I did call I was put on hold and no one came back. Has anyone installed this "Upgrade"? and if so are there any benefits that I would need for this system ? Thanks.

KC
ASUS G11CD
i7 - 6700 3.4Ghz
DDR4 2133 16GB
2TB (8GB Hybrid) + 256GB SSD SATA3
NVidia GTX980 4GB DDR5
Win10 64bit
BlueRay/DVD Combo
17 REPLIES 17

Bill
Level 7
Hello Chainz123
Can you tell me what upgrade are you referring to?
Any code name or a description of the upgrade?
Or perhaps a photo or a screenshot?
Is the upgrade issued by Microsoft? Have you consulted them yet?
Otherwise, we don't know what upgrade you are talking about.

Thank you

Bill@ASUS wrote:
Hello Chainz123
Can you tell me what upgrade are you referring to?
Any code name or a description of the upgrade?
Or perhaps a photo or a screenshot?
Is the upgrade issued by Microsoft? Have you consulted them yet?
Otherwise, we don't know what upgrade you are talking about.

Thank you

I can't take a screenshot because the functions won't work. Wished I had snapped a pic with my phone. I get an upgrade message (It doesn't say Microsoft it just gives the message) that says Windows needs to install important security updates but first I have to upgrade to latest Windows version so it downloads...reboots...restarts a few times then finally comes to a login screen. Looks all normal. Once I login, the little spiral of circles goes on seems forever saying Loading Windows. Finally it logs in and my desktop is gone. The background is black with a recycle Bin icon at the top left. A Windows icon at the bottom left along with a magnifying glass search icon, and a task icon. Clicking on any of them does nothing. I also get an error message C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile is missing or unavailable. I also get Unknown Hard Error messages for sihost.exe and explorer.exe. I have to power system off, unplug it and hold the power button in for 30 seconds. I plug the power cord back in and it loads the last environment. I guess it's completely possible it could be a virus of some kind but I do run Anti-Virus. I'm not going to allow the attempted upgrade again. I thought I was missing security updates that I need for the OS.

I have Windows 10 Home
64bit Build 10240
ASUS G11CD
i7 - 6700 3.4Ghz
DDR4 2133 16GB
NVidia GTX980 4GB DDR5
Win10 64bit
BlueRay/DVD Combo

chilinmichael
Level 10
If you are trying to upgrade to the latest version of 10 (Creator's) you can try the following link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

This is different than using the upgrade via Windows.
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

chilinmichael wrote:
If you are trying to upgrade to the latest version of 10 (Creator's) you can try the following link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

This is different than using the upgrade via Windows.

you want to uninstall creator and revert it. it is very problematic. will break dual monitor and couple of stuff . google it on how to revert.

chilinmichael
Level 10
Can't say I've heard of it breaking dual monitor, infact, works fine my two monitors. Haven't had a single issue.
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

chilinmichael wrote:
Can't say I've heard of it breaking dual monitor, infact, works fine my two monitors. Haven't had a single issue.

Thanks I appreciate the reply. I have Windows 10 Home ...64bit.... Build 10240 Do I need to upgrade ?
ASUS G11CD
i7 - 6700 3.4Ghz
DDR4 2133 16GB
NVidia GTX980 4GB DDR5
Win10 64bit
BlueRay/DVD Combo

Chainz123 wrote:
Thanks I appreciate the reply. I have Windows 10 Home ...64bit.... Build 10240 Do I need to upgrade ?

Very much so. You are far behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chilinmichael wrote:
Very much so. You are far behind.

Thx man. Here I go. I created a Restore point just in case. *fingers crossed*
ASUS G11CD
i7 - 6700 3.4Ghz
DDR4 2133 16GB
NVidia GTX980 4GB DDR5
Win10 64bit
BlueRay/DVD Combo

chilinmichael
Level 10
You can use the media creation toolkit from Microsofts site to install the latest version fresh.