cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

at a complete loss!! HDD don't get recognized in bios or windows?????

Stephanisk
Level 7
hi you all,

This time i am really at a loss. I am kind of computer minded. so this is what happens.

I had 2 old harddrives ( Seagate Barracuda 2 TB ) from my old build, i planned to use them as backup drives in my new build ( Core P5 mod, must say, turned out nicely) . So these drives are part of my water loop and didnt work after installing windows, i guessed well maybe they received some blow in my old rig, as it had to sustain a lot during moving. I bought 2 brand new firecuda drives 2 Tb each and installed them today in my rig. ( took 7 hours to dismantle and install them as the make part of my water loop, so really i spent a lot of time installing them and replacing the old drives. yes, i know, ridiculous but my HDD are watercooled )

Now my surprise, these new drives arent recognized by boot nor windows, i mean what the hell, i spent 8 hours installing them to come to the conclusion that my old drives arent broken at all, it is another issue. I tried my old drives now on another computer, they work like a charm...

So i have a rampage V extreme board, bios version 3501, i mean how is it possible that all me SSD's and my M.2 drive is recognized , but the HDD that have been aroud for the past 20 years are not???????

Any help on what might be the issue???????? RMA of the board? can't do that, has already been RMA'd :))), Bad drives? surely not, the old ones work and the new ones to be both broke on purchase?? njaaa... not a chance.....??? so what is wrong with the rampage extreme V????

I really hope somebody has an answer to this, cause i have been trying all settings in the bios to recognize and find these drives, unsuccesfull so far

( windows doesnt see them either, bios can not find them, ssD drives are not a problem, these i find in bios aswell as in windows.)

Thanks for any help, i am sure i am not the only one.

Regards,

Stephane from Belgium, feeling really stupid to post this on the forum :)))))) but at the end of his knowledge for the moment.
9 REPLIES 9

Nate152
Hi Stephanisk

The M.2 drive may disable some sata ports, I'm not sure which ones it will say in the manual.

Try different sata ports.

I have tried them all. Even the ports where my ssd drives are recognized. Due to the build I made I am only able to use the top row of sata ports, though I can not believe that using only the top row might be a problem. My ssd drives get recognized perfectly.

Nice idea on the other hand. Didn't know that m.2 drive might interfere with sata ports. So we learned that today 

Hi,

I have removed the m.2 drive.... The problem remains... No HDD will be recognized in bios.

Stephanisk
Level 7
hi you all,

This time i am really at a loss. I am kind of computer minded. so this is what happens.

I had 2 old harddrives ( Seagate Barracuda 2 TB ) from my old build, i planned to use them as backup drives in my new build ( Core P5 mod, must say, turned out nicely) . So these drives are part of my water loop and didnt work after installing windows, i guessed well maybe they received some blow in my old rig, as it had to sustain a lot during moving. I bought 2 brand new firecuda drives 2 Tb each and installed them today in my rig. ( took 7 hours to dismantle and install them as the make part of my water loop, so really i spent a lot of time installing them and replacing the old drives. yes, i know, ridiculous but my HDD are watercooled )

Now my surprise, these new drives arent recognized by boot nor windows, i mean what the hell, i spent 8 hours installing them to come to the conclusion that my old drives arent broken at all, it is another issue. I tried my old drives now on another computer, they work like a charm...

So i have a rampage V extreme board, bios version 3501, i mean how is it possible that all me SSD's and my M.2 drive is recognized , but the HDD that have been aroud for the past 20 years are not???????

Any help on what might be the issue???????? RMA of the board? can't do that, has already been RMA'd )), Bad drives? surely not, the old ones work and the new ones to be both broke on purchase?? njaaa... not a chance.....??? so what is wrong with the rampage extreme V????

I really hope somebody has an answer to this, cause i have been trying all settings in the bios to recognize and find these drives, unsuccesfull so far

( windows doesnt see them either, bios can not find them, ssD drives are not a problem, these i find in bios aswell as in windows.)

Thanks for any help, i am sure i am not the only one.

Regards,

Stephane from Belgium, feeling really stupid to post this on the forum ))))) but at the end of his knowledge for the moment.

I am using the top row of ports as can be seen on the picture.

Still haven't found a solution. I find it extremely strange... Asus themselves should answer this too. It isn't normal for a motherboard of 500 EUR to have these issues.

Stephane

xeromist
Merged two threads.

Please maintain *one* thread per topic. Thank you.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Hi xeromist.

I understand you merged together. I posted twice because I didn't get any real answers in 24 hours. Which is uncommon in a forum. I am starting to worry that nobody has issues like this. Which is strange as my board for rma'd already and was returned fixed. (Wasn't about data ports though than)

Hopefully someone knows the problem. Are there no technicians from Asus themselves active on the forum?

Regards

Stephane

xeromist
No biggie. If you ever feel like a thread would be more on-topic in another section just ask and one of us moderators can move it for you.

My suggestion would be to double check power. Since you moved everything around perhaps one of your power cables is loose at the PSU.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…