cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q-code 8 mystery

kiaxa
Level 7
Hi,

So I've been having this problem for a long time and I've finally mustered up enough courage and narrowed the problem down to a point where I feel I can ask for some help figuring this issue out.

Here's a rundown of my issue:
This problem occurs when I am downloading a game through Steam (I think it also did it when I was installing a program called Vivado through a web installer which downloads a very large amount of data). After a large amount of data has been downloaded (last time it happened was after 16GB were downloaded) the system will start to freeze up, it will then become fully locked up, and after about 30s-2min the system will hard crash out and the motherboard will have Q-code 8 and the DRAM LED will be flashing (this feels to me like a watchdog event).

The really odd thing is that I can play games on it all day, every day and not have a single issue.

My system:
Ryzen 5 1600X (if it matters this is one of the earliest production chips, I had it in hand a day before official launch)
C6H, bios 1403 (got this a week or two before I got the chip)
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB, B-die, 3200MHz (SPDs are fine, currently running at 2133 with a voltage 1.35V)
RX 480
960 EVO SSD
WD Blue 1TB SATA3 HDD (all of my games are downloaded to this)
In Win 750W Platinum power supply
Swiftech Apogee XL waterblock (very, very high mounting pressure but I don't think its the cause of the problem)
Windows 10 pro

Now correlation != causation but one last thing that is worth noting is that this problem only seemed to occur after I installed the Creator's update. I can't remember ever having it happen either of the two times I had a pre Creator's build running on my machine.

I am really stumped on this one, I'd really appreciate it if anyone could give me some insight on this.
17 REPLIES 17

Korth
Level 14
DRAM LED is lit, suggesting the fault is cased by a bad or misconfigured DIMM. Have you tried methodically testing and troubleshooting each of your DDR4 sticks and slots? Have you monitored or logged PSU and motherboard voltages before the faults? Intermittent faults are most often caused by electrical or thermal issues, although they can be difficult to troubleshoot when the interaction of a combination of components produces fault conditions. Can you reproduce the Q-Code 8 fault on demand?

Ryzens are notoriously finicky about memory compatibility. Is your DDR4 kit QVL certified for the CH6?

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91842-Asus-Crosshair-VI-Hero-Q-Code-8-Not-Starting
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/801026-asus-crosshair-vi-hero-q-code-8/
https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/asus-crosshair-q-code-8/
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/780799-Asus-Crosshair-VI-Hero-Q-Code-8-Not-Startin...
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

My system has no issue starting, I've never seen Q-code 8 during POST. As far as whether my RAM is compatible I'd say yes by technicality. The QVL for the C6H is very outdated and was never updated but the F4-3200C14D-GTZ is on the QVL and my memory is the GTZR. As far as PSU voltages, they are all within spec. No thermal issues. And I can normally trigger the fault by downloading a large game through Steam.

I guess when I get home from work I will run Memtest86 just to make sure its not RAM related.

gupsterg
Level 13
DRAM Q-LED blinking when Q-Code: 8 occurs is "normal" if you get what I mean.

Q-Code: 8 from what I have experienced is pretty much a universal Q-Code for instability. I can trigger this by various methods:-

- Lowering VCORE so OC destabilise.
- Lowering SOC so OC destabilise.
- Too aggressive an OC on CPU/RAM.
- Too aggressive RAM timings.
- Once or twice I believe I have had this when a program has made PC crash. Ryzen is odd, in that I have rarely experienced a BSOD under W7, it just sorta crash to black screen or Q-Code: 8, only in W10 have I experienced Stopcodes / BSOD.

Don't worry about the RAM not being on QVL. The F4-3200C14D-GTZR will be Samsung B Die, what Ryzen luvs 😄 .
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

Korth
Level 14
Ryzen loves *some* Samsung B. It's indifferent or downright hostile with other Samsung B, lol. From what I've read, it seems to depend on motherboard part more than on processor part.

I'm guessing Q-Code 8 is a symptom of unstable overclock. Your Ryzen might overclock well, your DDR4 might overclock well, but overclocking both to full overspec simultaneously might be too much. I'd graph out the clock/voltage/temp limits of each overclock in isolation to get a better idea of where the "sweet spot" which balances them can be found on the particular part combination. Sorry, that's all I got, lol.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

The weird thing is, I don't have an OC on my machine (its too hot where I live right now to be trying to OC), I'm running all default. I wish there were better diagnostic tools so I could pinpoint the cause of the failure (I wish Windows had verbose kernel logging like any of the *nix flavors). I guess I might just need to start increasing some voltages marginally and seeing what happens. I probably should still run Memtest like I was going to do. *sigh*

Thanks for trying to help guys, I guess more fiddling needs to be done. I just wish I could figure out why it's only downloading that triggers the issue.

gupsterg
Level 13
Korth, been living breathing Ryzen/C6H since launch 😉 .

At first there was an issue where due to lack of firmware development (mainly from AMD side IMO), there where cases of 2933MHz/3200MHz max on Samsung B die. I was such a owner. Later with AGESA 1.0.0.6 same HW has hit ~3500MHz, the OCN thread for C6H is pretty high traffic, a lot of members also had improved results with these later UEFIs. IMO anyone now not achieving at least 3200MHz tight on 1DPC SR Samsung B Die, total RAM 16GB, is doing something vastly wrong on their C6H. 3333MHz fast is pretty much achievable by many IMO. There are several members on OCN with 3466MHz 2DPC SR 4x 8GB Samsung B Die as well, on a C6H. Recently a new member in the C6H thread has 64GB 3200MHz. From 3200MHz RAM MHZz the gains on linked "Data Fabric" of Ryzen is minimal, tightening up RAM is more beneficial.

Besides the AGESA containing CPU microcode updates SMU FW was also updated and IMC FW. Coupled with many of the options which were not exposed in earlier UEFI it has become easier to achieve higher RAM MHz. ProcODT was first exposed in AGESA 1.0.0.4a UEFIs, this did help but was really not enough. Later AGESA 1.0.0.6 opened up timings tweaking and had CLDO_VDDP option, this allows moving memory holes. A CPU which I have is able to do 3333MHz tight but it would not have been possible without access to CLDO_VDDP as that RAM frequency is a memory hole for it. Later AGESA 1.0.0.6RC4 UEFI has also CAD Bus options, tweaking those again can aid stabilising RAM.

Kiaxa, if you're have Q-Code 8 at stock then I reckon it is as I had stated before.

- Once or twice I believe I have had this when a program has made PC crash. Ryzen is odd, in that I have rarely experienced a BSOD under W7, it just sorta crash to black screen or Q-Code: 8, only in W10 have I experienced Stopcodes/BSOD.

As I use W7/W10C I had the case quoted above whilst using FireFox to browse web and Steam to download a game. I tested in both OS with known good setup. Now I can't replicate it for myself. So I reckon due to updates of those SW the issue subsided.

I'd run HCI Memtest, 12 instances set to 1136MB. GSAT is also another good app to use, you can install BASH in W10, info in OP of this thread.

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger

Da Music video

gupsterg wrote:

As I use W7/W10C I had the case quoted above whilst using FireFox to browse web and Steam to download a game. I tested in both OS with known good setup. Now I can't replicate it for myself. So I reckon due to updates of those SW the issue subsided.

You actually made me realize that I don't think I'm running the Steam beta client, I probably should make sure that I'm running that.

gupsterg wrote:

I'd run HCI Memtest, 12 instances set to 1136MB. GSAT is also another good app to use, you can install BASH in W10, info in OP of this thread.

I will definitely give these apps a try and see what happens.

Well results are in for memory stability test;...1 hour of GSAT came up with no errors. I am starting to feel like this is just something I need to live with and hope that updates to software make it go away or I may need to switch to a more mature board (C6E). I guess I will also run that HCI Memtest program just to verify the GSAT results. The only other thing I can think that could cause the issue would be my Intel 7260 ac wifi AIC since the issue is related to downloading, the 7260 is EOL and I did a driver update for it recently and I think I recall the latest driver version for 7260 being 18 something and the drivers for the 8260 being 19 something. Maybe the problem is some weird "legacy" conflict or something and I should upgrade to an 8260. I just don't know anymore.

EDIT: 1 hour of HCI Memtest and 0 errors.

gupsterg
Level 13
I don't think you have a RAM issue.

I use a GC-WB867D-I (rev. 2.0) which has Intel AC7260 module. I use the latest Intel drivers, 19.xx.x on W7, with the C6H, no issues to report. W10C IIRC I don't install any drivers for that, but will check. I have fresh installs of W7/W10C.

So is still the only situation you get a code 8 when you download game in Steam?

Da Music video