cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CH6 PCIe Issues: 2GPU, soundcard and wifi

radioone
Level 7
I need some help figuring out how I can power two GPUs.

I have an Asus CH6 w/1700X, eVGA 850W Platinum PS, 1080GTX, 1060 SSC, wifi card and a soundblaster Z. The setup is like this:

• PCIEX1_1: Intel AC7260 wifi card
  • PCIEX16: Zotac 1080 GTX
  • PCIEX8_2: eVGA 1060 SSC
  • PCIEX4_3: Soundblaster ZX

When the computer is set up like this everything works, but the problem are my 2 GPUs. The 1080 is so large that it abuts the 1060. The 1080 overheats terribly because of no airflow. I'm just using the 1060 to mine-- I'd just like to break even. In my BIOS, 1403, all the PCI options are set to 'AUTO'. What I'd like to do is swap the slots for the cards and have my 1080 be the display on 8_2 (so there would be airflow) while the 1060 would just mine in the 16X (8_1) slot.

I've tried this, but it does not work at all. The computer just hangs before hitting Windows. I've even taken out the 1060 and left the 1080 in the 8_2 slot. But again, no boot. I don't know if there is not enough bandwidth with the two other cards. I can lose those by switching to onboard sound and ethernet. I've though about moving the 1060 to the 4_3 slot, but then that covers up most of the posts we need for the motherboard to work. Or is this just a quirk and the display must always be in the slot with the most available bandwidth?

Any ideas how I can achieve this? (I can't imagine what would happen if had 2 1080s and decided to run SLI)

Any insights would greatly appreciated!
4 REPLIES 4

andyliu
Level 9
radioone wrote:
I need some help figuring out how I can power two GPUs.

I have an Asus CH6 w/1700X, eVGA 850W Platinum PS, 1080GTX, 1060 SSC, wifi card and a soundblaster Z. The setup is like this:

• PCIEX1_1: Intel AC7260 wifi card
  • PCIEX16: Zotac 1080 GTX
  • PCIEX8_2: eVGA 1060 SSC
  • PCIEX4_3: Soundblaster ZX

When the computer is set up like this everything works, but the problem are my 2 GPUs. The 1080 is so large that it abuts the 1060. The 1080 overheats terribly because of no airflow. I'm just using the 1060 to mine-- I'd just like to break even. In my BIOS, 1403, all the PCI options are set to 'AUTO'. What I'd like to do is swap the slots for the cards and have my 1080 be the display on 8_2 (so there would be airflow) while the 1060 would just mine in the 16X (8_1) slot.

I've tried this, but it does not work at all. The computer just hangs before hitting Windows. I've even taken out the 1060 and left the 1080 in the 8_2 slot. But again, no boot. I don't know if there is not enough bandwidth with the two other cards. I can lose those by switching to onboard sound and ethernet. I've though about moving the 1060 to the 4_3 slot, but then that covers up most of the posts we need for the motherboard to work. Or is this just a quirk and the display must always be in the slot with the most available bandwidth?

Any ideas how I can achieve this? (I can't imagine what would happen if had 2 1080s and decided to run SLI)

Any insights would greatly appreciated!

not much knowledge for more than 1 card, but here is what I would have tried.
what happen when you connect monitor to the 1060 @ 8_2 slot? like boot into windows first and then swap the monitor cable to 1060.
And I am not sure what you meant by hang before hitting windows, it could be that windows having trouble loading driver so you might wanna try to remove all the driver first.
it shouldn't be an issue with just 1 card @ 8_2, so i will also try unplug everything else and slowly adding cards.

andyliu wrote:
not much knowledge for more than 1 card, but here is what I would have tried.
what happen when you connect monitor to the 1060 @ 8_2 slot? like boot into windows first and then swap the monitor cable to 1060.
And I am not sure what you meant by hang before hitting windows, it could be that windows having trouble loading driver so you might wanna try to remove all the driver first.
it shouldn't be an issue with just 1 card @ 8_2, so i will also try unplug everything else and slowly adding cards.

Thanks. I will try that. But I need the 1080 in the 8_2 slot for it to have any ventilation. I could download DDU and clean and reinstall Nvidia drivers. But I don't know why one card would work in a slot and not another.

AndehX
Level 7
any q-codes?

AndehX wrote:
any q-codes?

I think the Q-Code is 27.