cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED] Strange G752VM battery charge drop when laptop is shut down

Miq_Mac
Level 7
Hi,

I have very strange issue with my G752VM ROG.
I left my laptop fully charged (to 100%) for a few days turned off (anticipating any further questions - yes, laptop was turned off, I know the difference between shut down, sleep and hibernate), and when I started it again, it had 90% instead 100%.

I left it again for 2 full days and from 100% it went down to 95%.

Laptop is brand new, bought 3 months ago, although probably manufactured last year.

I found some posts, that this might be related to Win10 but I tried lots of proposed solutions (turning off fast boot in BIOS and Windows), I did recent BIOS upgrade to 306, nothing helps, battery is still dropping. However I din't try to reinstall Win (yet).

Can this be related to OS or Should I send it to service for battery repair?

Thanks in advance
M.
7 REPLIES 7

xeromist
I don't think this is unusual. I have a lenovo laptop that also loses charge over time. Maybe another 752 owner can chime in as to how much charge they normally lose.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Clintlgm
Level 14
Have you disabled Hybrid shutdown in your power options/ advanced settings, some loss is normal, I don't know how much since I never use my G752VY on battery the only time is when we have a power outage then I shut it down and unplug it to protect the power supply from taking a hit from the power surges as the power restores
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

CerealKillerGuy
Level 7
It may be the fact that usb's are always powered even when shut down. But I'm not 100% sure on that.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Battery is always connected since it's integrated.

Batteries, no matter what battery, will lose charge overtime, especially if it is in a cold environment.

You may have Power 2 USB installed, which can remain active on your shut down laptop, essentially turning your G752 into a glorified power bank.

Your date of manufacture might be longer than your purchase date.

I suggest you let it go down to 20% then shut down, and charge it to 100% with the lappy OFF.

Hi guys,

thank you for all your valuable hints. The problem looks to be sloved.

TL;DR - I installed and then uninstalled USB Charger Plus software.

Longer story:
Originally, my rog didn't came with pre-installed windows, however I after 2 days I needed to send it to service on warranty, since DVD stopped opening. And it came back with installed Win10 Home by Asus. However, in the meantime, I bought m2 SSD and installed my private Win10 on that drive, formatting the disk with Asus-installed Win. As it was pure Win10, I was installing drivers and software directly from website, choosing which one to have. USB Charger seemed usless for me, so i skipped it. But probably it was installed previously on the windows-by-asus image, so it added some settings to bios to power-up usb when off and on battery. At first, when I discovered the loosing power issue, USB Charger was my first hint, but since I didn't have it installed, I moved on searching for other resons.
Unfortunatelly, I didn't check before installing sofware if my rog would power some device when on battery and shutdown...
Perhaps if someone will have similar issue or is willing to format his laptop, could check it and confirm, that even though you don't have USB Charger Installed now, previous installation "forcly" removed from laptop messes something.

Again, thanks for your help, I'm marking topic as [SOLVED].

Yes you also have to turn off charger Plus in the Bios also.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

in BIOS? I don't see that option in my BIOS...