cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

75 Degrees threshold 100% fan

MacLeod77
Level 7
Hello,

I have a 270H mobo and 7700k. As you probably all know the 7700k gets a little bit hot every now and then(!), with spiky temps every time a program is started.

At the moment I have my 7700k clocked at 4.8ghz using adaptive settings 1.26v as this keeps the temperature below 75 degrees at all times, even under heavy loads.

So why 75 degrees, If Intel says the chip is rated to 100 degrees? Well the motherboard has a threshold at 75 degrees where all the fans kick in 100%.

This is kinda annoying as I could quite easily get the cpu to 4.9 or 5ghz but then the case starts making noise like an xbox360!

All I want to be able to do it set the fan curve for temps above 75 degrees (for example maximum of 60% fanspeed) and I can't see a way to override in BIOS or AI Suite.

Does anyone have any ideas before I order a delid tool?
4 REPLIES 4

Chino
Level 15
Delidding and upgrading your cooling might be your best option if you're willing to part ways with the warranty on the CPU.

Unfortunately, I'm having the same issue as you. Having purchased Asus specifically for their fan controls (which, for the most part, seem exceptional), this seems like a really bizarre limitation. I guess all we can do is make plenty of noise about it and hope that Asus fixes this (and matches their competitors, who all allow full fan control up to 90-100C).

One workaround I have been thinking about is that AI Suite III's latest versions do allow a "critical temperature" up to 100C for their system fans (but not CPU fan, for some reason?) - Perhaps it's possible to hook the CPU fan up to one of the 4-pin system fans, change the critical temp to 100C, then either hook up a low-speed system fan to the CPU fan header (check it allows 3-pin fans, though!) or going through the BIOS to ignore any "CPU Fan Not Detected" warnings.

Though that's a pretty extreme workaround for something that MSI, Gigabyte and Asrock have all managed to figure out a year ago.

TamiyaGuy wrote:
Unfortunately, I'm having the same issue as you. Having purchased Asus specifically for their fan controls (which, for the most part, seem exceptional), this seems like a really bizarre limitation. I guess all we can do is make plenty of noise about it and hope that Asus fixes this (and matches their competitors, who all allow full fan control up to 90-100C).

One workaround I have been thinking about is that AI Suite III's latest versions do allow a "critical temperature" up to 100C for their system fans (but not CPU fan, for some reason?) - Perhaps it's possible to hook the CPU fan up to one of the 4-pin system fans, change the critical temp to 100C, then either hook up a low-speed system fan to the CPU fan header (check it allows 3-pin fans, though!) or going through the BIOS to ignore any "CPU Fan Not Detected" warnings.

Though that's a pretty extreme workaround for something that MSI, Gigabyte and Asrock have all managed to figure out a year ago.

I thought had the latest version of Ai Suite, and don't recall being able to set the case fans so they don't have the 75 degree threshold. I will give that a try when I get home.

The weird thing is that with my BeQuiet AIO cooler the optimum speed seems to be around 30 to 40 percent fan speed. Anything faster has no effect. I guess that is the design of this type of quiet cooler. In fact even 10% speed yields decent cooling and anything above yield diminishing returns. In fact I recently turned the pump to zero and the fans just to make sure I wasn't just running passive cooling! (everything did heat up much more without). My temps seem on a par with most users and having reapplied thermal paste 3 times, plus the known issues with temp spikes on the 7700k i am sure my installation has no issues.

I am sure most of us would be fairly happy if we could calms the fans down more at 75-85 degrees, removing the need for delidding which is frankly daft on a brand new £300 processor.

I'm pretty certain that most AIO coolers don't benefit from 100% fans so more control from the Mobo side would be really welcome. Does the threshold exist because of Intel or another reason?

This issue affects me as well, the only workaround I came up with, is setting the CPU temperature limit to 74°C.

This prevents the fan from spinning up to frequently, but on certain workloads like ffmpeg, it still can happen.

I don't know if you lose much performance, but the fact that I have to spend my time working around such issues makes me sad.
Since the board works pretty well besides this and the faulty I/O chip issue, even sader.

Here's how I feel if this issue is not fixed: 😞
And here, if this issue is fixed in a BIOS update: :D:o:rolleyes: (of course, all at once!)

So, with the best hopes and wishes, even to the guy who changed my nickname (I really hope he's not the same guy who does the BIOSes),

asusnogoodbios

Edit: Indeed works now with a Prime X470 Pro and BIOS 5809. Now my rig is silent and a little more powerfull. Thanks the BIOS guy that allows us to set a temperature higher than 75 °C ! Super IO Chip / WMI still buggy. :D:o: