cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus VIII Hero USB 3.1 red port only sort of works

Blue11
Level 7
Fresh build, current 3401BIOS, all drivers installed, Win10 Pro, no exclamation points in Device manager, USB 3.1 enabled in BIOS.

I plug a USB 3 memory stick (that works fine in a blue USB 3.0 connector) into the red USB 3.1 connector, and Win10 says a device has been inserted, but it doesn't show up ANYWHERE, not in Disk Manager (so I can assign it a drive letter), not in Explorer, nowhere. Same stick plugged into a blue USB 3 port shows up everywhere.

The BIOS sees it in the BOOT menu, displays its model and capacity, but once Win10 boots it's there, but it's not.

Tried turning on and off the 'USB 3.1 Charging' feature, no difference.

According to many web articles, a USB 3.1 connection should be backward compatible with USB 3 and USB 2 devices, and after finding the onboard 3.1 connector wouldn't properly recognize the memory stick, I installed a ThunderboltEX3 card and drivers, and its USB 3.1 port sees the same memory stick just fine.

Anyone have any idea what is happening here? Anything else for me to try? Is the motherboard just defective?
7 REPLIES 7

Blue11
Level 7
Really?

Nobody?

Everybody's USB 3.1 port on the back of the machine is working flawlessly? I'm the only one in the entire ASUS MAXIMUS VIII community with this problem?

claudej
Level 7
Hi Blue,
Mine work fine,
Did you install any USB3.1 device driver (ASmedia in my case) ?

claudej wrote:
Hi Blue,
Mine work fine,
Did you install any USB3.1 device driver (ASmedia in my case) ?

Hello Claude, and thanks for responding. Finally got it working this morning.

On my setup, neither the ASmedia USB drivers that came on the drivers disk, nor the newer ones on the ASUS downloads page made it work.

From Device Driver, I tried "Update Driver" and after about 5 minutes of looking online it found driver version 1.16.38.1 (newer than the ones I had) and installed it, and after it was done, the USB 3.1 socket started working.

There are even newer drivers available (1.16.43.1) on Softpedia, and I downloaded those as well but haven't installed them, being just happy that the ones I have installed are now working.

claudej
Level 7
Just did some updates myself 😉
There are firmware updates available too. I did try to install one, but it didn't work out. It's a little risky.

OldMike65
Level 8
Ran some tests on my 3.1 usb slot today, and it ran fine. Could not find any problems using a 3.0 stick in the 3.1 slot. Was pretty fast moving huge files on to it too.
I then checked my driver installed for this USB 3.1 slot, and its from MS with a fairly new driver date. Pic below. 🙂

I was having problems with the ASmedia USB drivers, not the Intel ones. The Inter driven ports were working fine, it was the ASmedia USB drivers that needed updates on my setup.

Blue11 wrote:
I was having problems with the ASmedia USB drivers, not the Intel ones. The Inter driven ports were working fine, it was the ASmedia USB drivers that needed updates on my setup.

Sorry Blue, only usb 3.1 port I have on my MB is made by Intel. Very glad it is too. 🙂 Glad you solved your issue thou. Good Job !!