cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG AREION 10G Drivers

Ljugtomten
Level 9
Hi
I have ordered an ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme, where the NIC ROG Areion 10G is bundled and was preparing my Windows Deployment Server with drivers. (Server 2016).
The drivers available at https://www.asus.com/se/Motherboard-Accessory/ROG-AREION-10G/HelpDesk_Download/ cannot be imported in the WDS server, and by that PXE boot to install the operating system (Win10 X64) will not work using that network card.

Are you planning to release updated drivers soon, where the drivers are correct and not bundled in a separate installation program? (Extracted them from the .msi)

Edit: Nevermind, forgot to rename files from _extension to .extension after extracting from MSI.. Imported OK in WDS and let's hope PXE works then motheboard are delivered on wednesday.

Edit2: I can confirm that the drivers from the MSI works in WDS for Server 2016 when using PXE boot.
After installation of OS, a reinstall of the drivers with the normal installation program is recommended, as it sometimes takes a while after Win10 is launched until network connectivity is up if driver is not installed after OS..
3 REPLIES 3

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Congratulations on the purchase of your new ROG Zenith Extreme and Areion! If there are any questions, just let us know. Enjoy!

I am having issues copying large files over my 10g network. My main PC is a new ThreadRipper X399 (ROG ZENITH EXTREME) and the card came with the motherboard is the ROG 10G. I have an Asus 10G switch (XG-U2008) and the server I am copying to has an Asus 10G nic (XG-C100C). Both cables are CAT 6a and the led lights are blue on the switch fort the 10G connection.

When I start to copy large files it starts out good, I get 300-500mbs, after a few seconds the transfer speed goes down to 0 and it just sits there for a few minutes then I get an Windows error about the network connection. I ran this several different ways but it seems to point to the card. To eliminate some of the other variables, I then ran the same file copy over the on board Intel Lan of the motherboard and it worked with no issues (just a lot slower).

I have jumbo frames on the NIC 9014, Link Speed 10g (not auto), and transfer buffer to max 4096. Are there any settings I need to change?

Does anyone have experience using the ROG AREION 10G with Linux (Ubuntu 16.04 in particular)?

So far we haven't been able to get this working reliably. I'm using a driver from DR_XG_C100C_5005_Linux.zip which compiles to module file 'atlantic.ko'. Once installed with insmod we have a ethernet device. Currently we're connecting two ROG AREION 10G NIC devices on two separate computers directly with a Cat 6a cable (we've removed the 10GbE hub to reduce the number of variables in our problem).

We can get the machines to ping each other for a short while, but any significant file transfers fail, and the machines need to be rebooted before any packets can be exchanged again.

I would love to chat to anyone that has successfully used this card with Linux at the 10Gbps rate.

Regards,

Joe

Update: we've re-introduced the switch, and we can now maintain a connection, but performance is really really poor (sub 10Mbps). I have a hunch we have the wrong driver for this card (perhaps it's for another with a simliar chipset).