cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix overheating for all gl-series laptops !!!!!!!!!with turbo boost active!!!!!!!

Nevortic
Level 8
Hi guys, I leave the video because now I have no time to write the whole process but as soon as I have time I will write all about that post.

- ACTIVE Turbo Boost.
- You do not need to have a cooling pad (unless you want it colder).
- New stable GPU curve.

VIDEO LINK : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMU5VU_P9-4

I hope you are useful and that it also works for you.
Write any question.
------------
If there is any mistake I correct as soon as I have time.
16 REPLIES 16

Nightwing113
Level 7
Nevortic wrote:
Hi guys, I leave the video because now I have no time to write the whole process but as soon as I have time I will write all about that post.

- ACTIVE Turbo Boost.
- You do not need to have a cooling pad (unless you want it colder).
- New stable GPU curve.

VIDEO LINK : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMU5VU_P9-4

I hope you are useful and that it also works for you.
Write any question.
------------
If there is any mistake I correct as soon as I have time.

Your solution is basically undervolting. While it is the best and the most feasible solution but still the numbers on the video means nothing.
You have limited the GPU to rendering to 55 FPS so the GPU/CPU are not working hard enough to overheat and thermally throttle anyway.

Nightwing113 wrote:
Your solution is basically undervolting. While it is the best and the most feasible solution but still the numbers on the video means nothing.
You have limited the GPU to rendering to 55 FPS so the GPU/CPU are not working hard enough to overheat and thermally throttle anyway.

With only undervolt on cpu and gpu the temperatures are higher ... instead on the video you see more

Nevortic wrote:
With only undervolt on cpu and gpu the temperatures are higher ... instead on the video you see more

Worst case scenario with an undervolt there should be no change in thermals. If your thermals are higher with an undervolt, you either did something wrong or there is a problem with your hardware/software.

Korth
Level 14
Overvolting and overclocking parts causes them to burn and waste more power (and get hotter) along an exponential curve. A few hundred MHz might operate stable at rated voltages, then volts get bumped up one increment at a time each few hundred MHz more, then bumped several increments, then many increments for each hundred MHz ... and eventually the part hits a threshold where it runs too hot to operate stable. The curve starts with a shallow slope which steadily increases and at the top end the part is spewing tons of heat.

Undervolting and underclocking have less drastic but similar (though reversed) curves. You could reduce speeds and volts down 25% or 50% and see no real difference in temps. You could lower them by 75% to see 20% savings in power consumption and waste heat. The middle of the curve is somewhat flat and the minima are steep, but you always lose much to gain little.

I'd personally advise never undervolting - unless there's a serious need to conserve battery or bring temps down. It's far more economical to simply buy lesser hardware. Or better hardware.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
I'd personally advise never undervolting - unless there's a serious need to conserve battery or bring temps down. It's far more economical to simply buy lesser hardware. Or better hardware.

Why would you not advise undervolting? It's literally free performance, lower thermals, and battery life. Your mileage will vary as how tolerant your chip is to undervolting can be drastically different from chip to chip.

Undervolting has my CPU running 10-15 C coolers while sustaining higher clock speeds when under load. Lower thermals are also going to help the chip live longer, and the lower voltage in theory should increase battery life (though I haven't tested to see if I actually got any worthwhile gains).

Bran187 wrote:
Why would you not advise undervolting? It's literally free performance, lower thermals, and battery life. Your mileage will vary as how tolerant your chip is to undervolting can be drastically different from chip to chip.

How do you get free performance by deliberately throttling your parts down to slower speeds just to avoid having them automatically throttle down to slower speeds?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
How do you get free performance by deliberately throttling your parts down to slower speeds just to avoid having them automatically throttle down to slower speeds?

Undervolting is not the same as throttling. We are lowering the voltage being pumped into the chip, not limiting it's clock speed (unless you are someone who is also disabling turbo boost).

Generally speaking manufacturers pump more voltage into a CPU then it needs to run at its given specifications. This is to accommodate chips that have lower tolerances. This means that often you can run it at a lower voltage than it came out of the box with, without impacting performance. It still runs the same speed, just with less voltage being pumped into it.

In my case (and the case with many of these GL series notebooks) our laptops are thermal throttling at stock settings. By running them at lower voltages, they generate less heat. By producing less heat, they no longer thermal throttle.

In my case, I went from a laptop that would throttle down to between 2.8 and 3.0 ghz across all cores while being up at 95c to a laptop running at 3.4 ghz across all cores at around 80c.

So I suppose my claim of 'free performance' depends on whether or not the laptop was throttling in the first place, but since we were talking about this in a thread about laptops that are struggling with heat I figured it was pretty safe to assume most all of us were in that boat.

Have you tried the settings on xtu that you see on the video?

StarJack
Level 11
It's ridiculous to advise against undervolting these GL series laptops. Not even gonna bother..