cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy audio after standby with Maximus IX Hero

WhiteNoise
Level 7
I experience an audio issue with the Maximus IX Hero.

When Windows 10 boots, the audio works fine. However, if I put the computer to sleep for a while (~ 2-5 min) and wake it up again, the audio is littered with noisy “crackles” or “clicks”. In case someone tries to reproduce the issue, these “crackles” are easier to detect over softer sounds and speech.

Broadly speaking, it seems as if the audio controller doesn’t re-initialize properly after the wake up process and goes out of tune (pun intended!).

My audio setup is simple. Just a pair of headphones, plugged into the rear 3.5mm jack of the mobo. I use the latest BIOS and every driver is up to date.

Has anyone else come across anything like this?

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

Redfield93
Level 7
I've the same motherboard and I never had this problem before.
Even before I buy a sound card.
Maybe it will sound stupid, but did you tried to delete and reinstall the audio driver to see if that fixed the problem ?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Redfield93 wrote:
I've the same motherboard and I never had this problem before.
Even before I buy a sound card.
Maybe it will sound stupid, but did you tried to delete and reinstall the audio driver to see if that fixed the problem ?

I’ve tried different drivers (including the latest one: 6.0.0.8158 2017-06-07), but I never exactly deleted the old ones. I will give it a go and update you if somethings changes.

Chino wrote:
Have you tested your system at stock defaults?

Everything in the system (CPU, RAM, GPU) runs at stock.

Regards...

After extensive troubleshooting, I discovered that if I go into the Realtek settings and choose “AC97 Front Panel” instead of “HD Audio Front Panel” the problem goes away. The caveat is, however, that I lose my front panel functionality since it’s an “HD Audio” one.

Either choice is frustrating, but this makes me hopeful that a future driver/bios update will address the issue’ given the lack of distortion in the “AC97” case, there should be a way for it to disappear from the “HD Audio” one as well.