Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

G74sx strange GPU behaviour.

Hello Rog,

I've been having the strangest experience with my new G74sx. It's a month old right now and it's been doing the same thing for a while now, it seems to be happening more often now. Whenever I play any game, (Skyrim, SWTOR, LoL) anything like that, no matter how graphics intensive I have no problems. however, whenever I go on for example facebook, scrolling through pictures 1 of 2 things happens at random. Either my screen will flicker and the driver will crash for the 560m, or it will actually artifact on me and freeze completely. as for the specs..

actually it happened to me while going to get the specs. x). Here's the driver error:
    "display driver NVIDIA windows kernel mode driver, version 290.53 stopped responding and has successully recovered."
    and just a fyi, I am using the beta drivers for the 560m right now, but the same thing was happening before I upgraded to them for the skyrim boosts.

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. G74Sx.203, 23/09/2011
    SMBIOS Version 2.6
    gpu driver : 290.53

It's strange because I get the driver error, meaning most likely software issues. and then it will artifact up on me, which i was understanding meant it was overheating. Sorry for the novel, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array fuzon1337's Avatar

Hi

Have you tried to do a clean install of the nVidia driver when you update them?
    When you update the graphic driver you got a option to choose "customize installation" (or something like that) and then you can choose a "clean install" mode when you install the latest driver

Optional: Also you could download CCleaner and run the register check to find som junk of files that can cause problems on your notebook (run that check until the program doesn't find any more useless register files)

If it's a overheating issue, blow some compressed air into the fans and see if it's a lot of dust coming out from there.

How is it with latest driver for chipset and WiFi card?
    Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
    - Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
    - BIOS 205

ROG Enthusiast Array

Thanks for the quick reply!

I tried a new install, went back to the standard drivers instead of the beta (285.62) for the gpu and ran ccleaner with a bunch of errors and then fixed them all. Unfortunately I'm still getting the black screen / artifacting issues. same error as I previously quoted and the artifacting. Just to give you an example, I was browsing the atheros website (as I'm sure everyone knows really isn't very graphics intensive. x) ) and It actually artifacted from that. I can't imagine it being a heat issue because like I said I can play swtor for hours with no problems. As well the laptop is only a month old, I can't imagine dust being an issue yet. Can you think of anything else?

Thank you.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array fostert's Avatar

Just to check, what are your GPU temps when this happens? Grab GPU-Z or Speedfan to check them. Agreed that it isn't likely this, but lets eliminate it for sure.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array PILGRIM's Avatar

@IxPanda:

How about using a more stable graphics driver (i.e. 285.62 whql)?
    ASUS G74SX-3DE

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by PILGRIM View Post
    @IxPanda:

How about using a more stable graphics driver (i.e. 285.62 whql)?
    Thanks for the reply,

Yeah I did revert to that, when I reinstalled the drivers clean I used 285.62 instead, but it did it before I went to the beta as well, very strange..

Another example, I just got home, turned on the laptop and the first page I go to is the rog forum, as i'm loading it it blacks out and tells me the driver crashed. Leads my to believe it isn't a heat issue, but that will be what I do next, check the temperatures and when after a couple times I'll post the results.

I appreciate it guys, Thanks.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

Here is an article that discusses how to troubleshoot NVIDIA TDR (timeout detection and recovery) Errors: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=215256
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    Here is an article that discusses how to troubleshoot NVIDIA TDR (timeout detection and recovery) Errors: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=215256
    Thank you for the reply,

Just an FYI, I uninstalled the most recent driver and currently am running 268.xx and haven't had any errors for the day, I'll post again in a while if this seems to be a permanent fix or not, but I do thank you for the information.

ROG Enthusiast Array

So i followed the rest of the instructions and did a clean install of the 2.85 drivers and had no problems for a long time, until today when I had taken a confirmation number down in a word pad and then closed the screen, opened it again it artifacted within like 15 seconds... strange.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IxPanda View Post
    Leads my to believe it isn't a heat issue, but that will be what I do next, check the temperatures and when after a couple times I'll post the results.
    1) So what ARE your CPU and GPU temperatures at idle and when you encounter an artifact problem?

2) When you backrevved your NVIDIA driver, did you boot into Safe Mode and check the "Clean Install" checkbox? If not , you could have NVIDIA driver remnants that are causing issues. You may need to use Driver Sweeper and possibly CCleaner to remove them.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 02-02-2012 at 04:57 PM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast