Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    1) So what ARE your CPU and GPU temperatures at idle and when you encounter an artifact problem?

2) When you backrevved your NVIDIA driver, did you boot into Safe Mode and check the "Clean Install" checkbox? If not , you could have NVIDIA driver remnants that are causing issues. You may need to use Driver Sweeper and possibly CCleaner to remove them.
    Hmm.. I did not do it through safe mode, I rebooted and it had the driver 268xx on it, the thread nvidia posted said anything below 275.xx was fine, after it was there I went through custom install and selected clean install.. Is this not a clean install? =x .

Also CCleaner has been used, driver sweeper will be next, thank you. I kind of forgot about the temperatures... The problem is now the crashes are less frequent. I'll see if I can catch one though,

Thank you.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

You'll probably want to configure logging in your temperature monitoring software. You can get your idle temperatures then run a stress test like Prime95 to see if you can produce artifacts.

That is a clean install, however, I recommend doing it in Safe Mode to disable any running drivers that might interfere with the NVIDIA install.

If I was in your situation, I'd probably attempt to completely remove the NVIDIA drivers, then check to see if there are any NVIDIA remnants in Driver Sweeper, then re-install NVIDIA driver from Safe Mode. If that failed, my next step would be to clean install Windows 7 or restore the Windows System Image of my last known stable instance backup.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 02-02-2012 at 05:22 PM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by IxPanda View Post
    Here's the driver error:
    "display driver NVIDIA windows kernel mode driver, version 290.53 stopped responding and has successully recovered."
    and just a fyi, I am using the beta drivers for the 560m right now, but the same thing was happening before I upgraded to them for the skyrim boosts.
    Yeap i had the same issue , when install this 290.53 drivers but uninstall with uninstall tool and install the 285 WHQL - slove black's and errors
    So after that i decided to refuse from such kind of beta

ROG Enthusiast Array

i think i know the problem... i had the same problem back in December.. its the nivdia drivers the 290 ones. i installed them and it randomly started crashing after i noticed that i went back to the factory 268 drivers try it and see and it stopped crashing after that i had the same exact problem. get them here http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G74SX/
    G74SX-AH71
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M 3GB GDDR5 VRAM
    Display: 17.3-inch Full HD display (1920 x 1080)
    Processor: i7-2670QM (2.2 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.1 GHz)
    Memory: 16GB DDR3

I love it

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hey again guys.

simply to resurrect a fairly old thread. I'll throw down a couple more details for you because just recently I've ran into the problem more and more.. See if this helps anyone narrow down the issue.

- Currently running driver 285.62WHQL , which I have installed via safe mode correctly this time.
    - GPU temperature fluctuates from about 45 - 65 When it decides to crap out.
    - I've had it happen when reading through an online PDF, watching a youtube video, flipping pictures on facebook... But never In the middle of a game. anything from league legends, to crysis 2.
    However, it has happened when the game goes from a loading screen to actual game play. Is it possible theres an issue when my GPU goes from low core speeds and switches to high speeds? Honestly it's the only thing I can think of.

Any further input would be greatly appreciated guys. thank you.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hey again guys.

simply to resurrect a fairly old thread. I'll throw down a couple more details for you because just recently I've ran into the problem more and more.. See if this helps anyone narrow down the issue.

- Currently running driver 285.62WHQL , which I have installed via safe mode correctly this time.
    - GPU temperature fluctuates from about 45 - 65 When it decides to crap out.
    - I've had it happen when reading through an online PDF, watching a youtube video, flipping pictures on facebook... But never In the middle of a game. anything from league legends, to crysis 2.
    However, it has happened when the game goes from a loading screen to actual game play. Is it possible theres an issue when my GPU goes from low core speeds and switches to high speeds? Honestly it's the only thing I can think of.

Any further input would be greatly appreciated guys. thank you.
    Hi IxPanda

I had the same thing happen with my G73sw awhile back, same issues and such... Unfortunately I went through the same steps you did, but ultimately had to send my machine in for numerous RMA's. They had to replace alot of parts, and unfortunately I had to send the machine in for repair 4 times. If you keep trying troubleshooting, and you keep having issues over and over again I would recommend maybe returning your laptop to where you brought it from, and see if they will do an exchange for a new machine. Or if that is not an option, I would recommend you set up an RMA to send in your machine for repair.

Returning the machine would probably be the best option believe me, I survived one of the many RMA horrifying long drawn out repair processes lol .

i hope that you get your machine back fixed without any further issues, and not have to go through numerous RMA's *fingers crossed Best of luck

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by lilysintrigue View Post
    Hi IxPanda

I had the same thing happen with my G73sw awhile back, same issues and such... Unfortunately I went through the same steps you did, but ultimately had to send my machine in for numerous RMA's. They had to replace alot of parts, and unfortunately I had to send the machine in for repair 4 times. If you keep trying troubleshooting, and you keep having issues over and over again I would recommend maybe returning your laptop to where you brought it from, and see if they will do an exchange for a new machine. Or if that is not an option, I would recommend you set up an RMA to send in your machine for repair.

Returning the machine would probably be the best option believe me, I survived one of the many RMA horrifying long drawn out repair processes lol .

i hope that you get your machine back fixed without any further issues, and not have to go through numerous RMA's *fingers crossed Best of luck
    Hello, Thank you for the reply.

The more and more I have this issue the more I'm starting to see that an RMA Seems to be the only thing I can do.
    I'm just wondering.. There isn't really a way I can guarntee the tech can replicate this error.. any suggestions on how to make it a successful RMA When It's not easily replicated? Also, I put an SSD into this thing.. if I RMA it I'm assuming I'll get the same one back repaired and not a brand new one, so my SSD is safe?

PS I bought it from Amazon.. Not sure if they'd be willing to replace.

Thanks guys.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Have you tried turning powermizer off? There is a program that allows you to do this. It was suggested to me when I had constant display driver crashes, and since turning it off, I've not had a single crash.
    G750JH-T4074H i7-4700HQ, 32GB, 512GB SSD + 1TB , GTX780M-4GB
    G75VW-T1013V
    G74SX

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hello, Thank you for the reply.

The more and more I have this issue the more I'm starting to see that an RMA Seems to be the only thing I can do.
    I'm just wondering.. There isn't really a way I can guarntee the tech can replicate this error.. any suggestions on how to make it a successful RMA When It's not easily replicated? Also, I put an SSD into this thing.. if I RMA it I'm assuming I'll get the same one back repaired and not a brand new one, so my SSD is safe?

PS I bought it from Amazon.. Not sure if they'd be willing to replace.

Thanks guys.
    I'm not sure about the ssd drive, I know that Amazon has a pretty good return policy for faulty products though, I would contact them and see what they say.

If your having the same issues that I was having ie I could play games all I wanted, but when i got on the desktop, or was surfing the net I would get constant kernal driver errors, and your nvidia graphics card has stopped working but recovered successfully.
    When this first started, I was only getting them like twice a week, and I was like okay not really a big thing.. But then I started getting them every day, like 15 - 20 a day, tried every driver under the sun, still got them, did clean installs, factory resets everything to no avail. They ended up replacing my motherboard, my mainboard, my hdd twice, and my gpu twice. Basically everything except for the shell lol. If I would have known that I would have had to go through all of that now, I would have returned it immediately, I would contact amazon, let them know what is happening and what you have tried, since you brought it fairly recentely there should be no problem.

That would be the first step I would take, (don't let them push you around :P You paid for a product they sold you, it's defective/ has issues, and they need to stand behind the products they sell to make you the consumer happy. If you have passed their return dates, and too much time has passed since the purchase, unfortunately an RMA is your only option.

I would recommend taking out your ssd and putting the factory hdd back in before you send it in for RMA, because those dullard's at Bizcom will probably be like oh its your hdd (that was the first thing they replaced in mine lol) They won't pay attention to the fact that it's not the same one that came with the laptop, and most likely they will replace it with a normal hdd.

Also, when you call in to the RMA center, let them know you have a G series, and to send you a fedex shipping label, do not get off the phone until you have the label in your inbox, (because calling them back and saying oh I didnt get my label won't work, they like to deny things they have said before lol) I made this mistake and I paid $150 to send my laptop to them the first time via ups w/insurance. Asus does offer shipping labels for their G Series laptops, so don't let them tell you they don't.

As for replication of the error you are getting, I like you was weary, but believe me that error will pop up when they are doing the testing! Hope this help's, and if you like you can pm me with other questions!

Sorry this was so long guys
    Last edited by lilysintrigue; 08-03-2012 at 12:55 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Thank you guys so much for all your help.
    I'm going to try it out with powermizer disabled.. as that (in my mind) seems to be something that should help.. But of course I really don't know .

I really appreciate all the tips for the RMA, I've never had to do one before and if that's what it comes to, I've got a pretty good starting point!

if I have any further question's on it I'll be sending you a message, thanks again lilysintrigue, and anyone else who chipped in..

I'll give you guys an update after I've tried it out with powermizer disabled.

Thanks again!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast