cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74sx strange GPU behaviour.

IxPanda
Level 7
Hello Rog, 🙂

I've been having the strangest experience with my new G74sx. It's a month old right now and it's been doing the same thing for a while now, it seems to be happening more often now. Whenever I play any game, (Skyrim, SWTOR, LoL) anything like that, no matter how graphics intensive I have no problems. however, whenever I go on for example facebook, scrolling through pictures 1 of 2 things happens at random. Either my screen will flicker and the driver will crash for the 560m, or it will actually artifact on me and freeze completely. as for the specs..

actually it happened to me while going to get the specs. x). Here's the driver error:
"display driver NVIDIA windows kernel mode driver, version 290.53 stopped responding and has successully recovered."
and just a fyi, I am using the beta drivers for the 560m right now, but the same thing was happening before I upgraded to them for the skyrim boosts. 🙂

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. G74Sx.203, 23/09/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.6
gpu driver : 290.53

It's strange because I get the driver error, meaning most likely software issues. and then it will artifact up on me, which i was understanding meant it was overheating. Sorry for the novel, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
ASUS G74SX-XA1
120GB OCZ Vertex III SSD + 750GB HDD.
Intel Core I7 2670QM.
26 REPLIES 26

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hi

Have you tried to do a clean install of the nVidia driver when you update them?
When you update the graphic driver you got a option to choose "customize installation" (or something like that) and then you can choose a "clean install" mode when you install the latest driver 🙂

Optional: Also you could download CCleaner and run the register check to find som junk of files that can cause problems on your notebook (run that check until the program doesn't find any more useless register files)

If it's a overheating issue, blow some compressed air into the fans and see if it's a lot of dust coming out from there.

How is it with latest driver for chipset and WiFi card? 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

Thanks for the quick reply!

I tried a new install, went back to the standard drivers instead of the beta (285.62) for the gpu and ran ccleaner with a bunch of errors and then fixed them all. Unfortunately I'm still getting the black screen / artifacting issues. same error as I previously quoted and the artifacting. Just to give you an example, I was browsing the atheros website (as I'm sure everyone knows really isn't very graphics intensive. x) ) and It actually artifacted from that. I can't imagine it being a heat issue because like I said I can play swtor for hours with no problems. As well the laptop is only a month old, I can't imagine dust being an issue yet. Can you think of anything else?

Thank you.
ASUS G74SX-XA1
Intel Core I7 2670QM.

Just to check, what are your GPU temps when this happens? Grab GPU-Z or Speedfan to check them. Agreed that it isn't likely this, but lets eliminate it for sure.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

PILGRIM
Level 11
@IxPanda:

How about using a more stable graphics driver (i.e. 285.62 whql)?
ASUS G74SX-3DE

PILGRIM wrote:
@IxPanda:

How about using a more stable graphics driver (i.e. 285.62 whql)?

Thanks for the reply,

Yeah I did revert to that, when I reinstalled the drivers clean I used 285.62 instead, but it did it before I went to the beta as well, very strange..

Another example, I just got home, turned on the laptop and the first page I go to is the rog forum, as i'm loading it it blacks out and tells me the driver crashed. Leads my to believe it isn't a heat issue, but that will be what I do next, check the temperatures and when after a couple times I'll post the results.

I appreciate it guys, Thanks.
ASUS G74SX-XA1
Intel Core I7 2670QM.

IxPanda wrote:
Leads my to believe it isn't a heat issue, but that will be what I do next, check the temperatures and when after a couple times I'll post the results.

1) So what ARE your CPU and GPU temperatures at idle and when you encounter an artifact problem?

2) When you backrevved your NVIDIA driver, did you boot into Safe Mode and check the "Clean Install" checkbox? If not , you could have NVIDIA driver remnants that are causing issues. You may need to use Driver Sweeper and possibly CCleaner to remove them.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
1) So what ARE your CPU and GPU temperatures at idle and when you encounter an artifact problem?

2) When you backrevved your NVIDIA driver, did you boot into Safe Mode and check the "Clean Install" checkbox? If not , you could have NVIDIA driver remnants that are causing issues. You may need to use Driver Sweeper and possibly CCleaner to remove them.

Hmm.. I did not do it through safe mode, I rebooted and it had the driver 268xx on it, the thread nvidia posted said anything below 275.xx was fine, after it was there I went through custom install and selected clean install.. Is this not a clean install? =x .

Also CCleaner has been used, driver sweeper will be next, thank you. I kind of forgot about the temperatures... The problem is now the crashes are less frequent. I'll see if I can catch one though,

Thank you.
ASUS G74SX-XA1
Intel Core I7 2670QM.

i think i know the problem... i had the same problem back in December.. its the nivdia drivers the 290 ones. i installed them and it randomly started crashing after i noticed that i went back to the factory 268 drivers try it and see and it stopped crashing after that 🙂 i had the same exact problem. get them here http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G74SX/
G74SX-AH71
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M 3GB GDDR5 VRAM
Display: 17.3-inch Full HD display (1920 x 1080)
Processor: i7-2670QM (2.2 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.1 GHz)
Memory: 16GB DDR3

I love it :cool:

Hey again guys. 🙂

simply to resurrect a fairly old thread. I'll throw down a couple more details for you because just recently I've ran into the problem more and more.. See if this helps anyone narrow down the issue.

- Currently running driver 285.62WHQL , which I have installed via safe mode correctly this time.
- GPU temperature fluctuates from about 45 - 65 When it decides to crap out.
- I've had it happen when reading through an online PDF, watching a youtube video, flipping pictures on facebook... But never In the middle of a game. anything from league legends, to crysis 2.
However, it has happened when the game goes from a loading screen to actual game play. Is it possible theres an issue when my GPU goes from low core speeds and switches to high speeds? Honestly it's the only thing I can think of.

Any further input would be greatly appreciated guys. thank you.
ASUS G74SX-XA1
Intel Core I7 2670QM.