cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATA Controller Issue

llamabob
Level 7
Hi All,

When I built my new Ryzen system, I used my two Crucial MX300 SSD's from my previous system (along with an old HDD for movies, etc). I did a fresh install of Windows 10 and formatted all drives. However, my load times for BF1 have increased significantly.

I've updated firmware, installed latest AMD chipsets etc. One thing I notice is under IDE/ATAPI in device manager, I have two controllers: Standard AHCI Controller and AMD SATA Controller. When I run Crucial Storage Manager, it shows that all drives are using the Standard controller that Windows installs. I want them to the AMD controller to see if it helps with loading times in BF1.

However, if I uninstall the Standard driver, it will not recognize my drives, and I can't seem to force the drives to use the AMD drivers. Any idea how I can?

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

andyliu
Level 9
llamabob wrote:
Hi All,

When I built my new Ryzen system, I used my two Crucial MX300 SSD's from my previous system (along with an old HDD for movies, etc). I did a fresh install of Windows 10 and formatted all drives. However, my load times for BF1 have increased significantly.

I've updated firmware, installed latest AMD chipsets etc. One thing I notice is under IDE/ATAPI in device manager, I have two controllers: Standard AHCI Controller and AMD SATA Controller. When I run Crucial Storage Manager, it shows that all drives are using the Standard controller that Windows installs. I want them to the AMD controller to see if it helps with loading times in BF1.

However, if I uninstall the Standard driver, it will not recognize my drives, and I can't seem to force the drives to use the AMD drivers. Any idea how I can?

Thanks.

You can just update without uninstall MS standard driver.
make sure you are admin
go to device manager right the standard ahci controller and select update
click on browse my computer for driver
click on let me pick driver
and you should be able to pick / load the driver that you want to use.

andyliu wrote:
You can just update without uninstall MS standard driver.
make sure you are admin
go to device manager right the standard ahci controller and select update
click on browse my computer for driver
click on let me pick driver
and you should be able to pick / load the driver that you want to use.

For some reason it won't let me. I can update the one that is already labeled AMD by doing the manual search and can swap to standard or amd, but when I select the Standard controller update and direct it to the correct AMD folder with the drivers, it says the best driver is already installed and remains Standard. If I choose let me pick the driver, it just says no driver is found.

Any ideas?

llamabob wrote:
For some reason it won't let me. I can update the one that is already labeled AMD by doing the manual search and can swap to standard or amd, but when I select the Standard controller update and direct it to the correct AMD folder with the drivers, it says the best driver is already installed and remains Standard. If I choose let me pick the driver, it just says no driver is found.

Any ideas?

What's the directory path for the driver?
If anything, you can just uncheck "show compatible hardware" and select AMD for the driver.

andyliu wrote:
What's the directory path for the driver?
If anything, you can just uncheck "show compatible hardware" and select AMD for the driver.

Awesome, you nailed it. Unchecking that box let me manually pick AMD.

Thanks man!