cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Code 60: Check CPU / White VGA Light

Indutiomarus
Level 7
I'm trying to get my new PC working and am currently unable to boot. I have the following parts:

• ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme
  • AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
  • G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) F4-3200C16Q-64GTZKW
  • PNY GeForce GTX 970 4GB

Yesterday, I had it booting about 25% of the time, but when it would boot, it would show "Code: 60 Check CPU" on the LED. The other 75% of the time it would fail very early during the boot process and it would restart on its own. When it did boot, it worked fine (I was able to get Windows installed and run some benchmarks). I updated to BIOS 0502 but that did not help (or hurt) anything.

In an effort to address these issues, this morning I removed the CPU (since it said "Check CPU"), checked for bent pins (there were none) and reinstalled it. Now I cannot boot at all. The following indicators appear when I turn power on:

• Yellow memory QLED lights up
  • "Memory" displayed on LED, with progress animation
  • Yellow memory QLED turns off; Red CPU QLED lights up
  • "CPU" displayed on LED, with progress animation
  • Red CPU QLED turns off
  • "Code: 60 Check CPU" displayed on LED
  • "CPU" displayed on LED, with progress animation
  • White VGA QLED lights up

And at this point it just gets stuck. Power stays on, but no progress is made toward booting.

I've checked all of the power cables. I've tried different combinations of DIMMs. But the same memory and graphics card were working yesterday. The graphics card works in another PC. I also tried another graphics card (because it's the white VGA QLED that is lit) and that did not help. I tried the graphics cards in the bottom x16 electrical PCIE but that did not help.

Any suggestions on what else to test? Or any idea what might be wrong?
4 REPLIES 4

Vlada011
Level 10
If you success to boot and work some benchmarks than CPU is probably OK, and board maybe need little work...
Did you tried to clear CMOS and different BIOS versions? Last is some 0502 Beta, If you success to boot and enter in BIOS try previous version 0401.
You connect both CPU cables 2x 8pin?
Sometimes board stuck like that and not react on BIOS updates, you update but problem stay, like you did nothing.

I would try to disconnect all cables, clear CMOS and reflesh BIOS 0401 or maybe even previous version with ASUS BIOS Flashback.
For that you need only mobo, PSU and USB Flash drive... You don't need to enter in BIOS - VGA, CPU or RAM to change BIOS version on ASUS mobo, that;s one of reason why I like ASUS board and that function saved me during X99 build. With different board I would probably RMA board and technical support will fix and back me board after few weeks.

http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

I have some rule to avoid BETA BIOS except if some problem force me to try him or if BETA BIOS 100% fix some known bug or issue, just like that from stable on BETA BIOS no.
I have stable system almost 3 year with second BIOS for my board, after that I download 15 version but didn't update.

Thanks for the suggestions. I also figured the CPU was probably okay, given that I was able to run benchmarks and get results that were about what I found in various Threadripper reviews.

Yes, I have both 8-pin EPS cables plugged in.

Per your suggestion, I re-flashed 0401 via the flashback and I got it to boot once (after about 4 or 5 attempts). It hasn't booted since that, so I'm guessing that was a "fluke" that it worked once :-).

At this point I'll probably just RMA the board to NewEgg.

Thanks.

Vlada011
Level 10
I would try to work little more with board but if you not success to revive her than you need to try on that way.
Where is you OS, on M.2 or SATA III SSD?

Raja
Level 13
Sounds like the CPU isn't making good contact with the pins.