cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Strix Z270F won't boot with more than 8gb RAM

Bjartur
Level 7
Greetings.

I recently bought all the parts for a new computer and assembled it. After putting everything together, the computer doesn't boot, can't get into BIOS.
It refuses to boot if I use 2,3 or 4 sticks of 3200hz DDR4 RAM, however, it does boot and function normally if I use only one stick of RAM.
When it fails to boot with more than one stick, I get a red DRAM light on the motherboard.
Am I doing something wrong here? Do I need to update my BIOS or change settings in it? Any help would be appreciated.

Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z270F
Processor: Intel Core I7-7700
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080TI ROG Strix 11GB (not OC edition)
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200hz 4x8 (CMK32GX4M4B3200C16)
SSD: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB
PSU: XPredator 650gm 650w

I checked the manufacturers list and I noticed that the RAM is not there, however very similiar ram is there.
10 REPLIES 10

Bill
Level 7
Hello Bjartur
Have you checked that all of your RAM are normal?
Thanks

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Have you tested each stick individually to see if your system would post?

Yes, every stick works as normal, and the computer boots if i have any one of the sticks in a1 or a2, but it will never boot in any dual, triple or quad configuration.
It will not boot either if I have one stick in b1 or b2. All 4 RAM work solo in slot a1 or a2.

Hello again.
Here is an image of the LEDs I get when the computer cannot boot. Internal speaker makes no sound, and it cannot post.

Upon closer inspection, it appears 2 of my CPU pins on the motherboard are bent. Should I try to bend them back into place?

CMK32GX4M4B3200C16 doesm't appear tp be on the Asus QVL tested list for that motherboard.

I chose F4-3200C16Q-32GVKB (also 4x8 3200) and they work fine.

Bjartur wrote:
Hello again.
Here is an image of the LEDs I get when the computer cannot boot. Internal speaker makes no sound, and it cannot post.

Upon closer inspection, it appears 2 of my CPU pins on the motherboard are bent. Should I try to bend them back into place?

If you feel capable, yes. Bent pins often affects the memory slots.

Hello again.

I was checking out the pins and I took out a spyglass to take a closer look. It turns out the pinheads were completely hanging off of the pins themselves.
Just rotating the motherboard to see it a bit better made them break off..

I suppose the motherboard is unusable now. I'm not familiar with ASUS RMA policy, can I return this and get a new one?
The pins were bent in such a way that its impossible it was my fault. Its almost like the neck of the pin (right under the head) was burnt.

My initial PRIME Z270-A was bad. Bent pins and I found a solder flake jammed in the pins. I was a bit shocked that it passed Asus QA.

I bought it from Amazon and returning it to them was the fastest. I filled out the return information completely online, said the socket was bad, and they issued a total refund even before they got the old board back. They paid for the return shipping. I used the refund to buy a STRIX Z270F instead and with Prime I had the replacement in 2 days.