cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Low 3dmark Fire Strike score on G751JY

Jamesgz
Level 7
I have ASUS G751JY with 980M and i7-4720HQ. I started to play Overwatch again after half a year, but the fps was alot lower than before. I decided to do a 3dmark Fire Strike benchmark and got 4917. I had High-Performance mode on and closed other applications) Most G751JYs get at least 8000.

What is wrong with my laptop?

My score: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/21557655

Notebookcheck score: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-G751JY-G-Sync-Notebook-Review.146086.0.html
8 REPLIES 8

Clintlgm
Level 14
That doesn't seem to low to me G752VY Extreme 1080 full screen
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
That doesn't seem to low to me G752VY Extreme 1080 full screen

I believe that's a different benchmark. I used Fire Strike

Dreamonic
Level 12
Hey Jamesgz,

You're most likely thermal throttling at load. Monitor your CPU and GPU temps on your next benchmark run and then post those results back here.

The 4720HQ runs very warm in that notebook (even out of box when that model was released). So it's probably time to do a repaste at the very least. If that's something you don't wish to tackle yourself, you can opt in running NBFC with an aggressive fan config and that should help lower thermals enough.

I have done extensive testing with the G751JY, so this is what I would look at given your benchmark score being where it is. You can use HWiNFO with the Sensors-only option and monitor everything this way or use MSI Afterburner with the CPU and GPU monitors enabled in the OSD and watch it that way instead.

Hi, here is the history log file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sf7uvzq2989ocar/2.CSV?dl=0

It seems like my pc is thermal throttling...

Dreamonic wrote:
Hey Jamesgz,

You're most likely thermal throttling at load. Monitor your CPU and GPU temps on your next benchmark run and then post those results back here.

The 4720HQ runs very warm in that notebook (even out of box when that model was released). So it's probably time to do a repaste at the very least. If that's something you don't wish to tackle yourself, you can opt in running NBFC with an aggressive fan config and that should help lower thermals enough.

I have done extensive testing with the G751JY, so this is what I would look at given your benchmark score being where it is. You can use HWiNFO with the Sensors-only option and monitor everything this way or use MSI Afterburner with the CPU and GPU monitors enabled in the OSD and watch it that way instead.

I used NBFC on auto and got a score of 7397, which is much better now. But from my monitoring, my cpus were still thermal throttling at the end. Should I risk it and open up my laptop, and do a thermal paste or something?
History log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nxxhq4cv0rljihr/4.CSV?dl=0

Dreamonic wrote:
Hey Jamesgz,

Dreamonic
Level 12
As I imagined, NBFC would help enough. Decent change in score! You were in the mid 90s at one point with your cores though. GPU temperature reaching lower 90s as well. You sir are in need of a repaste if max fans don't keep the temps just below the throttling point.

Definitely don't rush the process of notebook disassembly and repasting either simply BECAUSE it needs to be addressed. Take the time to follow the disassembly guides online (preferred one here) here and here and prior to doing all of this, make sure you have the right tools on hand like a good Philips screwdriver set (#00, #0 and #1 mostly) that have a magnetic tip and rubber handle, as well as thermal compound of choice ready to go.

You can always pay to get this done at a local PC repair shop instead if you feel the undertaking is a bit overwhelming. No shame in it either. Just have a game plan on what you want to do and go for it!

JustinThyme
Level 13
Just one suggestions before disassembly, you have blown out the heatsinks etc? they get crusty and dusty which will give you the same results.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

NeoBeum
Level 9
Jamesgz wrote:
I started to play Overwatch again after half a year, but the fps was alot lower than before

What is wrong with my laptop?

Make sure nvidia isn't using it's networking processes in the background - there was a problem with them - way back when the 751s were new - it was causing stuttering in Starcraft II and LoL.
This was with GFE 2.8 - the newer GFE might have different sets of junk.