cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use G551JW SSD drive as cache?

lucian_mardale
Level 7
Hello,

I have an ASUS ROG G551JW and i want to use the SSD drive as cache. i found this article: https://rog.asus.com/articles/maximus-motherboards/intel-smart-response-technology-user-guide/, but i'm stuck at point 3. I can't find RAID, I have only IDE and AHCI.

Can you please tell me why?

Thank you so much!
4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
Laptops have much more limited options than desktop motherboards, in general. There are a few laptops that feature RAID but most do not.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Laptops have much more limited options than desktop motherboards, in general. There are a few laptops that feature RAID but most do not.

So why to put a SSD which is to little to install windows on it? Windows, no, cache, no, what to do? sell it? 😄

lucian_mardale wrote:
So why to put a SSD which is to little to install windows on it? Windows, no, cache, no, what to do? sell it? 😄

I understand what you're saying. My Lenovo laptop came with a 16GB MSATA SSD as cache but I bought a bigger SSD and just used it as a normal drive. It has been several years now so I do not remember what setting enabled SRT. It might be a different BIOS option in a laptop.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Clintlgm
Level 14
I would search the forum, I don't have the answer for you. I do remember this being discussed. Seems some like yours came from the factory with the 1/2 size SSD MSATA I believe is what they are called?, however the ones that didn't come with and when people Clean installed there were issues. I don't remember what the answer was or if it was ever resolved
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro