cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAID Support Question for Maximus IX Extreme

alexcraig
Level 7
G'day all!

Just built a new Maximus IX Exteme based rig which will be used primarily for business and some flight sim apps.

I have 4 ssd hard drives which I want to use in two RAID 1 arrays. One M.2 array using 960 EVO's and another using 850 EVO's.

Given the research I've done, I'm left with the impression that the board will only support a single RAID array. If that is the case, I will buy a RAID PCIe adapter to support the 2nd array. Can someone please provide a definitive answer?

Also, I've read where some individuals have been able to boot from an M.2 RAID array and that is what I'd like to do. Albeit, I'm running into trouble getting Intel RAID drivers to see the M.2 array on a Win7 64 bit Pro platform. I've played with it a bit and have been able to install Win7 to a single disk. I'm hoping I can clone it to a RAID with one of the various cloning apps which are available.

Worst case I'll go to Win10. However, I have a ton of apps with a ton of custom code running on my Win7 platform and I am loathe to risk having to recreate it for any apps that Win10 will not support.

Anyway, first things first, will my board support two RAID arrays or do I need to buy a card?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Alex Craig
6 REPLIES 6

alexcraig
Level 7
G'day all,

Well, I just put up my first post and it looks like I screwed up already as I didn't notice this forum until I scrolled down further into the Forum Main Menu .

Anyway, here's a link to my post in the General Discussion area. I apologize for choosing the wrong forum with my first post.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?95348-RAID-Support-Question-for-Maximus-IX-Extreme

JustinThyme
Level 13
The board will support multiple raid arrays.
Its time to ditch Win7 move on up as its not long before its not supported at all and finding drivers for new hardware to go backwards is getting very slim pickings.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Its time to ditch Win7 move on up as its not long before its not supported at all and finding drivers for new hardware to go backwards is getting very slim pickings.

Thanks Justin! Good to hear it will support multiple raid arrays.

While I plan on doing a bit of gaming (primarily flight sims), this rig's main purpose in life will be business related.

I have a number of legacy devices & apps involving custom coded s/w that runs on them that I am using on my current Win7 build that I have developed over the last decade. It might take months to duplicate in a Win10 environment and I just cannot afford to invest that amount of time in research. Eventually, I might run a dual boot to slowly create a Win10 build that will do what my current Win7 system does.

Ironically, my favorite flight sim, BoB II will not run in a Win10 environment.

Anyway, thanks again for the input re: raid arrays.

PS Hmmm ... I didn't receive a notification re: the replies, I'll have to see if our Sonic Wall server is grabbin' em.

JustinThyme wrote:

Justin,

FYI, you were correct. The rig is up & running with two native RAID 1 arrays with a Win7 OS installed on an M.2 array.

Building a custom Win7 install image for the stick was a bear, but there is enough info & free tools on the net to get 'er done.

Booting an OS from an M.2 device is supposed to be quick, but seeing it in real life on this board is pretty impressive! Maybe 8 seconds with fast boot turned off after the first bios screen appears. Certainly compared to the current old Extreme quad 4 6800 system I have in my current production system.

Thanks again.

Nate152 wrote:
Threads merged. 🙂

Much appreciate the merge. Thanks!