cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a 12.5mm drive fit?

mertesn
Level 7
I'm interested in upgrading the primary hard drive to an SSD and the secondary to a 1TB drive. The 1TB drives so far are only in a 12.5mm tall package (as opposed to the more standard 9.5mm height). Will the 12.5mm tall drives fit in a G73JH?
4 REPLIES 4

Retired
Not applicable
ssd will work, 12.5mm no clue and i doubt it. it needs to fit on the HDD caddy and that is designed for standard 2.5 harddrive sizes. can you show me a picture of the 12.5mm?

mertesn
Level 7
Any of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007605+600030600&QksAutoSuggestion=&S...

There is no difference between a 12.5mm tall drive and the standard 9.5mm drives other than height.

Pyro411
Level 7
I just double checked, that would be a negative. I have a Seagate ST9500420ASG which has a height of 9.5mm and has no additional clearance for taller drives to be mounted in there... unless you cut away your palm rest above the drive. Which sucks because the Velociraptor is 15mm tall 😞 it'd be nice to stuff one or 2 of those bad dogs into the G73Jh

Retired
Not applicable
yea i dont think itll fit because you not only have to screw in the hdd on the caddy but also screw it down to the chassis, if its taller, it wont be able to screw down.