cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VY - an USD 2600 "Professional's choice" for bankruptcy

ALXHK
Level 7
Hi,

I'm ALXHK, an idiot who has thought that ASUS top ROG laptops could be used for professional daily work.

Well, in my case the G752VY i7 4700HQ DDR4 64GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980M 4GB VRAM not just drives me insane, now I am on the verge of bankruptcy, as I have to spend too much time recovering from the freezes and hardware errors and more importantly - it breaks my otherwise perfect workflow.

How would you like it if during the intense work it just freezes and you cannot do anything??? All 3d renders in multiple VMs are lost, prerenders are lost, autosaves make you to do it again, and again, day after day.

THAT SUCKS, Gentlemen.

For my brutally hard earned USD 2600 plus 64GB RAM upgrade plus Samsung 950 Pro M2 plus plus plus... this makes absolutely no sense.

Now instead of getting an "edge on competition", I am on the verge of bankruptcy by using a "top grade" ASUS Laptop.

When using Wacom 27QHD with USB+USB-C/Mini-displayport connectivity, it freezes like 3-5 times per day IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WORK DAMNIT.

I thought it was due to the original SSDs. So I have bought Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2. Nothing changed (worked faster when it worked).

I have specifically waited for almost 1 year to get 6700HQ model with 64GB RAM support, hoping to make an investment for at least 5 years. And got this?

This is insane.

I have paid USD 2600 for what, for being unpaid beta tester???

I should have rather purchased an Alienware. I am now paying that price difference with my time. Taking professional losses and reputation risks.

Here is a more detailed explanation with others having the same issue:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?82046-G752VY-Freeze-Problem&p=668170&viewfull=1

ASUS Guys & Gals, if/when you are reading this, do something.

You are ruining, smashing, devastating ASUS brand, which I have trusted. I am just somebody who has spent significant money AND TIME into your product, which does not make sense for professional use.

You are no longer making the Samurai's swords as you have used before.

Here are some other "bonus" issues

(-) Now to upgrade RAM to 64GB I have to tear the whole laptop apart (!!!)
(-) It leaks electricity via USB ports when OFF (!!!) - i.e. with cooler/mouse connected to it, it has 64% left overnight; figured it out in an airplane when I did not have enough battery to get the job done;
(-) It strikes my with an electricity if I touch my 3.5mm headphones' audio cable (!?)
(-) I get little electricity shocks if I touch the back of the laptop's body
(-) The back-lid lights may still stay turned on after I turn off the laptop. So I have to turn on the laptop, wait a few seconds and turn off it again - then the lights are off and I can sleep.
(-) sometimes the coolers get into the top RPM mode after an increased workload and do not go off even while idle; a reboot does not help, power off is necessary;
(-) SICA ROG mouse was "dead" after 3 months of use (why add a shining crap into your ROG line? what is the point?)

Here are the other people having issues with left USB (what!? usb malfunctioning in a USD 2600 laptop!? just think about it, "INSPIRE THE NEXT"😞

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53846-g751-jt-left-usb-problem

One person has succeeded to return the laptop, the lucky one:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/returned-my-asus-g751jy.771680/

Some people suggested that this is the Intel's Skylake issue and "not ASUS's fault"

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/01/intel-skylake-bug-causes-pcs-to-freeze-during-complex-worklo...

http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/37572/Skylake

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylake_(microarchitecture)

How the heck is it "not ASUS's fault", pardon my French? Where is your testing department, ASUS? Where are the quality assurance people? Who is responsible for this public product release?

And this is for an USD 2600 laptop? ARE YOU NUTS!?

Check out Amazon reviews for Eluktronics 64GB RAM laptops and compare these to ASUS ROG laptops in the same category. They have over 88% 5 star ratings and ZERO one star ones. ZERO PERCENT, 0% 1 star. With the same Intel i7 6700HQ. 146 reviews, 84% 5 star, 2% 1 star. Unbelievable. Now just think about it for a moment.

"Eluktronics", an unknown brand, has beaten ASUS at their own "swords for the samurais" game. WHAT!? Seriously?

ASUS, If you can't make it perfect at USD 2600, make it perfect at USD 3600, but it should be absolutely well tested with zero drawbacks with top hardware. ZERO DRAWBACKS. I repeat, ZERO DRAWBACKS. VERYY WELL TESTED, and then tested again, and then again. So that the final product will have ZERO DRAWBACKS. Got it? No?

THIS CRAP is NOT well tested. It is a Red Dot Design Award winning CRAP, gentlemen.

Thank you, ASUS, for the Red Dot Design Award winning insolvency enhancing headache.

Needless to say that I am severely, absolutely disappointed.

How on Earth can I deliver flawless products myself if I am fighting a faulty hardware on a daily basis???

Bottomline: I am reisntalling, and reinstalling, fixing and fixing just to try to make something to work that is expected to work out of the box.

The ASUS service is useless, as they cannot reproduce the freezes on the laptop iteself, I do not fancy carrying the 27QHD beast around and I cannot leave my only workhorse to them.

Suggestions?

Solutions?

If nobody from ASUS is going to solve this, I am intending to give the f345k up on the whole ASUS brand and move to Alienware / Origin / Aorus or even "Eluktronics" (who the hell is that you would ask, but they have 88% 5 star 24+ ratings for the 64GB RAM top performance laptops with on Amazon), will finally ditch my USD 300+ ASUS router which is 3 years old, will replace my 6 years old 13" ASUS laptop with malfunctioning USBs. Just not to get reminded of ASUS.

What to do with this otherwise beautiful G752VY is an open question.

If ASUS cannot adapt, they should leave. If the same rules apply to me, what makes ASUS "think different"!? Too big to fail? You have forgotten who you once were. I am here to either remind you and/or to be forgotten forever.

HARDWARE CONNECTED

Wacom 27QHD, Pro Pen, EK Remote (USB3 right side, USB-C/Mini-displayport)
Logitech G502 USB3 wired mouse (USB via Wacom)
Dell Ultrasharp 24" monitor (HDMI right side)
Coolermaster SF-17 (USB3 right side)
APC UPS 1100VA (USB management, surge protection)

Systems tested: Win10, Win10 Creators Update, Debian 8.5 Jessie with backports for NVMe/NVIDIA support, now Debian 9.0/9.1 Stretch

PS Yes, I have awaited 1 day to get my registration confirmed here so that I could share this with the fellow ASUS ROG owners or those considering to buy one.

I was advised to post in service section by a gentleman here:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?261-New-member-Introduce-yourself-here&p=668171#post668171

PPS Amazing job guys and gals from the ASUS designing department. Well done, absolutely fabulous, fantastic, ORIGINAL design.

Guys/gals from the tech, QA and other depts - not so much.

As for me, "the patient is exhausted but not done yet".

PPS To post this message I have had to: wait 1 calendar day to get account "confirmed", go through the ridiculous limitations here as if I am a caged beast or something.

Fare well, ASUS. That is ridiculous.
6 REPLIES 6

Korth
Level 14
Well, there is always some version of the usual Limitation of Liability small print:
"... ASUS is not responsible for direct, special, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any breach in warranty or condition, or under any other legal theory, including but not limited to loss of use; loss of revenue; loss of actual or anticipated profits (including loss of profits on contracts); loss of the use of money; loss of anticipated savings; loss of business; loss of opportunity; loss of goodwill; loss of reputation; loss of, damage to or corruption of data; any indirect of consequential loss or damage whatsoever caused including the replacement of equipment and property, any costs of recovering or reproducing any data stored on or used with the Product ..."

It doesn't apply to everyone everywhere. But it's a precedent for a whole lot of different kinds of "loss" or "damage", vague and specific, that you'll have a hard time pinning onto ASUS in most courts, lol.

I'm not defending ASUS or claiming that your ASUS laptop is flawless. No laptop can be absolutely "perfect" and bug-free, but good luck finding any laptop with ZERO DRAWBACKS - regardless of price or brand or model - although I do agree that a $2600 machine should be a reliable performer.

Like you, I rely on a lot of professional hard compute, crunching, and rendering to make my money.

And, like you, I don't intend to become insolvent because a computer fails to perform reliably.

You should invest in a second machine. Preferably a desktop, if that's a realistic option with your mobile plane-travelling lifestyle, because a $2600 desktop can do a lot more work than a $2600 laptop, especially if you're planning on rendering in multiple VMs, lol. Keep both machines updated with your work, two physical copies of your data; keep a mobile storage device handy all the time, three physical copies of your data. It's tempting to mix professional and personal use on your machines - especially expensive and powerful machines - but this is best avoided and valuable "work stuff" should always be stored somewhere else.

You should always have (and always adhere to) a backup strategy. A number of rotating daily backups, each day of the week, each week, each month. Stored off-site, stored on different physical media. Even stored somewhere in the Cloud (so it's always accessible from any machine anywhere). Sort of like "system restore points" for your work, snapshots of each day's progress, so in the worst-case scenarios (where your machine breaks or it's stolen or you're unaware of data corruption until days later) you can always step back without losing many days and days of your work (and money).

I recommend avoiding the latest-and-greatest new chipsets and processors and laptops if reliable computing and maximum uptime are important. Buy stuff which is one generation closer to "obsolescence", it might not be as fast and fancy but it has matured through a year or two of firmware updates, driver updates, and bug fixes - you can count on the "proven" reliability. This is the main reason why enterprise-grade computing tech is so dull and unexciting when compared vs consumer-grade tech. Just as with any other business model, performance matters, quantity matters, output matters ... but it's all worth nothing if you can't depend on it meeting certain standards and being done right.

You may be unaware of Intel HT bugs which affected your Skylake, recently fixed through firmware/microcode updates. They could corrupt data on any Skylake platform, ASUS or Alienware or whatever.

To be honest, your description of the problem sounds like you're just pushing too much work onto your laptop. Skylake is "mainstream" consumer/gaming stuff, not intended for serious multithreading productivity, especially not when on a battery-powered mobile form factor. Sluggish response, problems with autosave, etc, all indicate the system is multitasking beyond it's real capabilities.
The raw cores on a $2600 "entry level" Intel HEDT or AMD Threadripper platform could dramatically decrease your render times. Running your work on a non-Windows operating system can also dramatically decrease your render times, if it's an option for the softwares you use.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Well, there is always some version of the usual Limitation of Liability small print:

Thanks Korth for your constructive reply which makes perfect sense. I do as well appreciate your professional calming tone.

Of course I did not expect anybody from ASUS to actually listen and/or react to whatever I mentioned, it is just to let some steam go off the valve.

Their product/project managers, project/product owners are on huge salaries with benefits and bonuses and cars with drivers and whatnot which are not tied up the the actual clients' satisfaction, so nothing will change that. That is why brands like Eluktronics has their chance. And it is great.

Actually laptops from ASUS had zero drawbacks earlier. I still have a 6 or 7 years old (ASUS) machine which works flawlessly with ZERO DRAWBACKS, yes indeed. I have upgraded it to SSD with proper DDR4 and additional 4x coolers cooling pad. "Dark Knight" works great by this day, too. These are the reasons why I was looking and waiting for the ASUS machine at the first place.

To what you have said I would add that all the stuff shared on the cloud should be on an encrypted logical drive.

And nothing personal on a working machine 300%. That is why I still keep that old laptop along with the memories it holds. And mac MINI for backups.

Another thing with laptops is their (a) mobility and (b) cool factor (I spend waay too much time with these things, I like to have the cutting edge stuff, inspiration is undervalued in this world, and this Red Dot Award Winning design gives me some true engineering Inspiration; it is just that - awesome engineering p0rn).

With all respect to the desktop machines, I cannot imagine taking one with a monitor to a cafe or anywhere else I wan to temporarily work at for a change. The NUC line looks promising, and soon there will be foldable transparent monitors on the mass market, so I am on the waiting lists.

You actually could build a portable rendering farm with those NUCs, and it is as solid as Intel can be.

I already have another simpler/older laptop, a mac mini (just in case + backups) and this G752VY beast (plus all the "stuff" listed, plus some other little things which I would not like to talk about such as separate coolerless hardware firewalls) - it does all add up very quickly and you are soon over 60kg with "luggage".

Keeping two 4,5 KG laptops is a bit out of hand, but if I have to keep even 3-5 laptops, I will do that (and ship one by freight, second carry on, third checked in). But it will be the "top stuff". I would rather not have a car and eat noodles, but will work on the really inspiring $h1t. Anyways, you use a car max 1-2 hours per day, and on this machine I work at least 14 hours every day. Because I obviously love what I am doing, and I only use the tools that I like to watch at before/after starting on/off.

Also agree with the corporate/enterprise "boring" stuff, that is why I have online servers running 24/7/365 with 99,999% uptime under SLAs just for me and for me alone.

But I want personal mobile computing which is cool and with the same uptime. That is what is expected.

The only thing that I disagree with you is that "you're just pushing too much work onto your laptop". Well, I am just using everything it has to offer to get my ROI, that is simple as you would expect from any machine, be it a car, a laptop, a boat or a plane.

I suggest I would just shut up myself and level up and always buy 2x or 3x laptops with the same insides and keep them synced in realtime, just in case.

It is like you have to keep two Range Rovers in your garage - to use the other while the first one is at service.

Bahz wrote:
Obviously you didn't read the MUST READ thread before posting, this doesn't belong in this section. I will move it over to the G Series notebook section.

Obviously I could not have cared less (or more). You could have as well removed the post(s) and/or my username. It does not make sense to get through all these waiting time for confirmation, codes, limitations, retype this, remove that, "confirm that you are a human".

Thanks for letting me know though, no offense I understand it is your job here to kick *******s like me who are not avid rules readers/adherers. Enjoy your forum.

Any further post from username ALXHK would mean that the account has been compromised.

Good luck with ASUS.

ALXHK wrote:
Thanks Korth for your constructive reply which makes perfect sense. I do as well appreciate your professional calming tone.

Of course I did not expect anybody from ASUS to actually listen and/or react to whatever I mentioned, it is just to let some steam go off the valve.

Their product/project managers, project/product owners are on huge salaries with benefits and bonuses and cars with drivers and whatnot which are not tied up the the actual clients' satisfaction, so nothing will change that. That is why brands like Eluktronics has their chance. And it is great.

Actually laptops from ASUS had zero drawbacks earlier. I still have a 6 or 7 years old (ASUS) machine which works flawlessly with ZERO DRAWBACKS, yes indeed. I have upgraded it to SSD with proper DDR4 and additional 4x coolers cooling pad. "Dark Knight" works great by this day, too. These are the reasons why I was looking and waiting for the ASUS machine at the first place.

To what you have said I would add that all the stuff shared on the cloud should be on an encrypted logical drive.

And nothing personal on a working machine 300%. That is why I still keep that old laptop along with the memories it holds. And mac MINI for backups.

Another thing with laptops is their (a) mobility and (b) cool factor (I spend waay too much time with these things, I like to have the cutting edge stuff, inspiration is undervalued in this world, and this Red Dot Award Winning design gives me some true engineering Inspiration; it is just that - awesome engineering p0rn).

With all respect to the desktop machines, I cannot imagine taking one with a monitor to a cafe or anywhere else I wan to temporarily work at for a change. The NUC line looks promising, and soon there will be foldable transparent monitors on the mass market, so I am on the waiting lists.

You actually could build a portable rendering farm with those NUCs, and it is as solid as Intel can be.

I already have another simpler/older laptop, a mac mini (just in case + backups) and this G752VY beast (plus all the "stuff" listed, plus some other little things which I would not like to talk about such as separate coolerless hardware firewalls) - it does all add up very quickly and you are soon over 60kg with "luggage".

Keeping two 4,5 KG laptops is a bit out of hand, but if I have to keep even 3-5 laptops, I will do that (and ship one by freight, second carry on, third checked in). But it will be the "top stuff". I would rather not have a car and eat noodles, but will work on the really inspiring $h1t. Anyways, you use a car max 1-2 hours per day, and on this machine I work at least 14 hours every day. Because I obviously love what I am doing, and I only use the tools that I like to watch at before/after starting on/off.

Also agree with the corporate/enterprise "boring" stuff, that is why I have online servers running 24/7/365 with 99,999% uptime under SLAs just for me and for me alone.

But I want personal mobile computing which is cool and with the same uptime. That is what is expected.

The only thing that I disagree with you is that "you're just pushing too much work onto your laptop". Well, I am just using everything it has to offer to get my ROI, that is simple as you would expect from any machine, be it a car, a laptop, a boat or a plane.

I suggest I would just shut up myself and level up and always buy 2x or 3x laptops with the same insides and keep them synced in realtime, just in case.

It is like you have to keep two Range Rovers in your garage - to use the other while the first one is at service.

Obviously I could not have cared less (or more). You could have as well removed the post(s) and/or my username. It does not make sense to get through all these waiting time for confirmation, codes, limitations, retype this, remove that, "confirm that you are a human".

Thanks for letting me know though, no offense I understand it is your job here to kick *******s like me who are not avid rules readers/adherers. Enjoy your forum.

Any further post from username ALXHK would mean that the account has been compromised.

Good luck with ASUS.

No offense, but maybe you shouldn't have bought a gaming laptop to do the "professional" graphics work you're talking about? There are workstations specifically designed for that. I wouldn't buy a road bike, then get mad when it broke going off jumps at a downhill mountain bike resort. Yeah, you can do it (if you're skilled enough), but is it optimal? You're putting it through different stresses it wasn't designed to handle. It's only a matter of time before it fails. Could fail instantly, or take a few hits. Either way, just because it's a 6,000 carbon road bike, does that mean I should be able to mountain bike with it? Yes, they're both bikes, but for completely different purposes. I also can't imagine doing pro level graphics work on a monitor with 85 percent and 56 percent of sRGB and AdobeRGB. It does sound like you're stressing the machine beyond its design. What are others in your line of work using? With what you have, I'd experiment with underclocking for more stability, less power usage, and less heat in exchange for some slightly longer render times. Things might take longer, but would be more likely to complete without errors. Yes I do some graphics work on my "gaming" desktop, but it's a desktop with a liquid-cooled CPU and my graphics card is half the size of your laptop. There will ALWAYS be compromises when you go that small, even on a machine that big.

I seriously hope you're not going to go bankrupt from one purchase. That would be sad, and some poor financial planning. That being said, a company should stand behind their products and I hope that if there is indeed something faulty with the machine you can get resolution. Best of luck to you in the future.

ALXHK wrote:

Good luck with ASUS.

Well it looks like the conversation is over, lol.

Good luck with your Alienware, "Eluktronics", or Mac mini laptop.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Bahz
Level 12
Obviously you didn't read the MUST READ thread before posting, this doesn't belong in this section. I will move it over to the G Series notebook section.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Well.. ';x

I love my G752VS thank you very much. ;<

But yes.. not sure why you'd expect a Laptop to run multiple VM's. Also you should turn off Hyperthreading to fix those crashes. ;x

Your SSD's and NVMe will hate you by the way.