cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New G752VL Owner - WD NVMe drive?

ST9752
Level 10
I just picked up a G752VL and needless to say the first order of business is to stop booting from this dog of a 5400RPM spindle. I am considering the new Western Digital Black WDS512G1X0C-00ENX0.

https://www.wdc.com/products/solid-state-drives/wd-black-pcie-ssd.html#WDS512G1X0C

It certainly seems like it checks all the boxes for compatibility though I have no idea how the WD migration would work. Apparently they include links to download free migration software like Samsung.

Has anyone used this in a G752 yet?

Thanks,

Scott

and yes... I did search for the forums first. 🙂
9 REPLIES 9

Clintlgm
Level 14
No but the last time I bought WD hard drive they were still using Acronis Light, You'll probably be better off using Macrium Reflect Free also we all know for sure how well Samsung SSD work and are compatible. Most of us are running them on IRST drivers in RAID Mode so no other drivers are required. You should check I'm pretty sure the VL uses NVME. Be sure to back up your eSupport folder and make a good Image of your OS entire drive before you start just incase that eSupport folder hold all the drivers and software your notebook came with .
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

You are probably correct. WD have been using that WD Edition of Acronis for a while and it's frankly getting very old. Macrium is a much better choice. You can be certain I would make a complete system image before attempting something like this. I've done the SSD migration once before but that was with a standard SATA SSD. NVMe adds a new wrinkle. I'm dreading it a bit, but it has to be done to make this system useful.

I have no idea about the IRST drivers. I'll look into that. Thanks for the info.

You're saying that many people around here are running dual NVMe drives in RAID mode using the IRST drivers? I assume they work for a single drive as well?

Thanks,

Scott

Yes my single 500gb Samsung Pro 960 is running RAID mode in the BIOS and IRST driver in windows. No Idea how your VT is set up so not sure how cloning will go. Others here have done this on your model, hopefully one of them will see this thread and advise your.

I can tell you for sure that the way we are running RAID on NVME is that is how they come from Asus with M.2 SSD, To clean install you would have the RST driver download and extracted to the same USB thumb drive you are installing windows from. During the install when you get to part where you select your SSD to install to you won't see it. then look for the I have a driver or something like that and direct that to your the IRST driver on your install media once it install like magic your SSD will appear and your be able to select it to install windows too. Download the f6flpyx64 floppy version of IRST drive for this operation.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

ST9752 wrote:
You are probably correct. WD have been using that WD Edition of Acronis for a while and it's frankly getting very old. Macrium is a much better choice. You can be certain I would make a complete system image before attempting something like this. I've done the SSD migration once before but that was with a standard SATA SSD. NVMe adds a new wrinkle. I'm dreading it a bit, but it has to be done to make this system useful.

I have no idea about the IRST drivers. I'll look into that. Thanks for the info.

You're saying that many people around here are running dual NVMe drives in RAID mode using the IRST drivers? I assume they work for a single drive as well?

Thanks,

Scott

You wouldnt happen to have a online storage with a backup of your eSupport folder would yah ?
I downloaded one other I found but its all jacked up I cant even make sense of anything thats in the folder to install =\
Peace

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Just speeding by. Acronis doesn't work with NVMe's. It seems to not detect the drive through DoS.

At least through my experience.

@OP

Can you please update if you got this working?

Just got my WD Black 256GB NVMe in the mail, installed and Win10 doesnt see it (not even in diskmgmt)

I can see the NVMe in Bios, (not in the SATA config location, is that normal?)

HyeVltg3 wrote:
@OP

Can you please update if you got this working?

Just got my WD Black 256GB NVMe in the mail, installed and Win10 doesnt see it (not even in diskmgmt)

I can see the NVMe in Bios, (not in the SATA config location, is that normal?)

Forgot to mention I wanted to use it (like almost everyone else) as a boot drive.

Figured it out.
just need to goto Intel and grab the .zip file of IRST: Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) (grab the .zip with all the .cat .inf and .sys files, Extract to Folder > name it Asus Drivers or anything, chuck it into the USB you're using to reinstall Windows (in my case I was clean installing) during Windows install when it asks to Upgrade or Custom, choose Custom and if you only have the NVMe installed, the drives list should be blank, click Load Driver, browse the USB you're using to install Win10, you just need to point out the folder with the IRST drivers, it will search the folder and show you the Driver it finds, just select it and hit next, Win10 will install the driver, your NVMe should now show up to be able to install Win10 to it as Boot Drive. enjoy)

Darnassus wrote:
Just speeding by. Acronis doesn't work with NVMe's. It seems to not detect the drive through DoS.

That doesn't surprise me at all. Acronis seems to be about 3 to 5 years behind most technologies. Free Macrium Reflect works 100% Paid version to allow more options but with free you can make drive/SSD images, Partition images and restore without issues.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Darnassus wrote:

You have had bad experiences. I cant speak for all versions but I had no issues at all cloning drives on my G752VY with the retail version of Acronis True Image 2016.

If you dont want to buy aanything Macrium works perfectly fine too. For Samsung Drives the Samsung data migration if probably one of the fastest cloning softwares Ive seen.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein