Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh nevermind

thisismyusernam
Level 7
4 REPLIES 4

Boggy
Level 7
Just a thought, but it's possible you may have a short somewhere, audio can be particularly sensitive to that. It wouldn't hurt to check that there isn't a loose screw or washer that was misplaced during the build. When you have a black case and black screws that dont glint when you shine a torch on them they can be easy to misplace. I've also had issues in the past with a motherboard stand off not being secured to the case properly when I had to improvise and use one from an old PC I had in the loft.

My 6700K volts that high on auto and I do the same as you: 1.25 on adaptive. I spent a night trying to convince myself I had a bad one, but research says its not uncommon for 6700K to volt that high on auto.

I know how maddening these kind of issues can be as you trawl through the forums going down one blind alley after another. If it was me and I had a problem like this I would strip and rebuild the PC and give myself plenty of time. That way you can start the PC with minimal components: motherboard, CPU, memory (1stick) and PSU and use on-board graphics, on-board audio and add in the other stuff. That way you can be systematic and rule things out.

That's what I would do, but I have no life, love fiddling with my PC and take it personally when I cant solve a problem on my PC.

I had the same problems. Swapping the mainboard (ASRock to Asus) & PSU (same model) didn't work.

Maybe try to disable C-States of the CPU and use the USB port for audio sources (external DAC, Adapter etc.) to avoid the noise.

From what I've tested so far, the only thing I've noticed has any effect on the whining noise being there or not are those two BIOS settings I mentioned above. The noise is there even with the bare minimum components required to make the PC boot, I even disconnected the CPU cooler's fan since I read someone talking about the possibility of a noise like this coming from low fan speeds or something. I've tested it in and out of the case, several cares, several power supplies, 1 stick of RAM in every slot, 2 sticks of RAM, with or without storage drives,different SATA ports, different outlets, different power cables, etc.

I also updated to the latest 3504 BIOS that just came out, no difference.

Of course, the GPU has so much coil whine, which just makes this even worse. I feel like I should RMA the GPU now, if that doesn't change anything, I need a new mobo. Or I need to get my hands on another GPU and test that first...

Edit: And I don't feel like disabling a bunch of features of the products I have just to circumvent some fault in them. I could test that just to see what it does, but it's not a solution. And same goes for buying extra stuff, I might as well replace the board, but that I don't want to do either when it still has over a year of warranty left.

I only meant disable while you troubleshoot. You need to be sure because if they find nothing wrong with it they will only send it back. I had that once with a Striker Extreme and it turned out to be my Razer mouse with a certain bios. Fart arsed about for weeks trying to sort that out, even bought a temporary mobo.