Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Cladmaster,

Thanks for chiming in again. It would be easier to just ignore my seemingly unique plight. :-)

I have been doing all this while logged in as Admin. There is no normal user account on this machine yet. I'm also running clean, all other software shutdown, Sonic Studio shutdown, no devices plugged into any ports.

As you might have guessed, using the "Run as Admin" menu option makes no difference. Still the same message, still displaying NVM firmware 10.00, PD firmware 1.03.00.

When I run either the normal firmware or the prototype, The Windows chime sounds to indicate a device has been mounted and the USB icon shows up next to the clock. Not sure why the system sees a new USB device. Then about 20 seconds later, the "firmware update halted" error message pops up in the firmware update tool and the alternate chime sounds to indicate a device has been dismounted. At that point the USB icon disappears. Also, the Thunderbolt software exits and no longer shows in the system tray after the failure message.

I have seen the Thunderbolt software exit once in a while when simply clicking on the "Settings" menu item on the right-click menu. That, combined with the NVM firmware rev 0.00 appearance (a few times) is beginning to make me wonder if the Thunderbolt device itself has a problem.

I read somewhere in a forum that somebody with G752VL had updated his firmware using an Intel Thunderbolt firmware update - not the ASUS tool. I can't find anything like that on the Intel site.

Another thought. I am running the dreaded Windows 10 Version 1703 - Creators Update. I wonder if that could have broken something. It totally bricked another machine that I had to reimage. :-)

Did you do your firmware updates before or after 1703?

Scott
    Last edited by ST9752; 08-20-2017 at 02:52 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I even tried launching from a command window. Again, same result.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Hmmm !!! I wonder .......

Download this Thunderbolt firmware (ASUS Thunderbolt firmware Update NVM_v13_TI_v1.3) from the support site for the G752VL and see if it will update the firmware from 10 to 13. (Link below)
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/...635.1503214431

If the above works, delete the one that fails to flash and re-download it and try again.
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/...635.1503214431

I've flashed my Thunderbolt firmware (downgrade and upgrade) running Windows 10 Version 1703 to make sure it works on my G752VL.
    Last edited by CladMaster; 08-20-2017 at 07:50 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I'll give that a try

Thanks for the link!

BTW, I did connect a USB C adapter and a USB 3.0 flash drive to the port earlier and that worked fine. Obviously not a definitive test of the Thunderbolt hardware as it wasn't a TB device and I have no idea how the USB and TB channels are shared if at all.

I'll report the result shortly.

ROG Enthusiast Array

HOLY CRAP!!! That worked!

Quote Originally Posted by CladMaster View Post
    Hmmm !!! I wonder .......
    You wondered correctly! As soon as it passed the 30 second mark I knew something was different. Wow. I now have NVM firmware 13. Far from the latest, but a step forward.

THANKS VERY MUCH. I was seriously considering taking this thing back to Best Buy after so many brick walls with the Thunderbolt.

Now I will download the latest again and see what happens. FYI, the second link you posted is for BIOS 303.

ROG Enthusiast Array

NVM firmware 21! Woohoo! PD firmware still old though

So, now I have...

NVM: 21.00
    PD: 1.03.00
    Ext. GPU support: Yes

So your hunch was correct. It appears the new version of the firmware update is expecting a more recent firmware to update from and hits an error when older NVM firmware is installed. Poor error handling in the software IMO.

So, almost there. I guess I will try the firmware again to see if the PD firmware updates.
    Last edited by ST9752; 08-20-2017 at 06:13 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Cladmaster - YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! NVM and PD fully updated!

So, this appears to me a multi-stage firmware delivery mechanism with several dependencies. It may be that portions of the NVM firmware are responsible for updating the PD (power delivery) section of the firmware. That alone is rather counter-intuitive and ASUS did a horrible job of documenting this procedure.

I am now fully updated!

This information should really be added to your excellent Thunderbolt update thread.
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...de-(2017-5-12)!

Without that link to the earlier firmware there are, no doubt, others who will be unable to update their Thunderbolt port to modern operation.

I can't thank you enough! You put in the time and mental effort to help me figure this out. Most would have simply found all the trouble I had annoying and stopped replying. Without that link I would likely never have been able to update this machine.

Thanks again!

Scott
    Last edited by ST9752; 08-20-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Scott,

Your PD should read 1.07.06

If it does not, flash the Thunderbolt 21 firmware again and power down the laptop and pull the power lead, wait 30 seconds then power the laptop back up, make sure the laptop is not going into sleep or hibernation mode after the flash update, the laptop needs to do a complete power cycle for the firmware to set.

(Typo corrected here)
    Last edited by CladMaster; 08-21-2017 at 09:05 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Yeah, that's what I had after the second run with the latest update Software. The first run updated the NVM. The second run updated the PD.

I'm at 21.00 and 1.07.06

Again, thanks for working through this with me!

Scott

Glad to have helped.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast