cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VL can't update Thunderbolt firmware - ERROR 0x10430004

ST9752
Level 10
I've just about got my new G752VL updated but this Thunderbolt port is really giving me trouble.

I updated my BIOS to 3.03 no problem.

I followed all the instructions in this post.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?93231-Asus-ROG-G752VY-Thunderbolt-3-firmware-upgrade-(2017...!

Once I start the "Update.exe" in the "Update_V1.0.1.0 G752VL" folder, it runs for a moment. I hear the standard Windows sound that happens when a device dismounts and then I get this error message.

"Update error. Firmware update process is halted. (0x10430004)"

The thunderbolt port doesn't appear to be bricked or anything. The thunderbolt driver still show the info, however I get the following the "Details" panel

----------------------------------------------
Software Package: 16.2.55.275
Application Version: 16.2.55.1
Service Version: 16.2.55.5
Controller Driver Version: 16.2.55.1
Networking Driver Version: unknown

Thunderbolt generation: Thunderbolt 3 (1575)
Number of ports 1
Security Level: User Authorization Level (SL1)
NVM Firmware version: 10.00
PD Firmware version: 1.03.00
External GPU's supported: No
----------------------------------------------

As opposed to what is shown in the post, it seems odd that my Service and Controller versions are "unknown"
UPDATE: After a full power cycle, those value came back. So it would appear that the device is certainly seen
by the driver software, but I just can't update the firmware beyond that old version!

Yeah, there is the "prototype" version of the firmware included but I have not tried that because I'd rather have the official firmware running as opposed to some weird patch version.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
26 REPLIES 26

CladMaster
Level 7
Uninstall the Thunderbolt driver via the Control Panel >> Programs and Features then shut down the laptop, remove power lead wait 20 seconds.

Remove any devices connected to the USB / Thunderbolt port.

Restart laptop, reinstall the Thunderbolt software, do not connect anything to the USB / Thunderbolt port.

Start the Thunderbolt software.

Run the flash program to update the firmware, wait for it to complete, takes 2 mins or so.

When done, shut laptop down and remove power lead and wait 30 seconds before you power laptop back up.

CladMaster
Level 7
If the above fails, make sure you are running the latest ATK package (64 bit version). You can get it from here >> http://ivanrf.com/en/latest-asus-drivers-for-windows-10/

Thanks for the instructions. I'll give it another try.

Okay, I have run through this a few more times now with the same results.

I followed the instruction you gave above exactly. I also disabled anything running prior to doing so. Specifically, that was Sonic Studio in the dock.
After the normal firmware failed I finally tried the "prototype" firmware. Big surprise, it failed with the same error. 😞

I am running in an Admin account.

I double checked that I am running BIOS 303. The TB driver software is the latest version 16.2.55.275. I am running the latest version of ATK as well.

I should note I am not a newb at this stuff. I'm an electrical engineer. I write firmware! I've torn down and built many PC's including recent systems.
These things aren't a mystery to me. Thunderbolt is new, but nothing I can't handle.
Needless to say this is a bit frustrating.

Is there a BIOS setting that can interfere with this process?

I uninstalled the ATK package and the TB software and for grins tried the firmware update. It complained about the lack of an ATK package. Okay, at least the error message means something in this case.

I installed the ATK and again, for grins tried the firmware update. It complained about the lack of Thunderbolt firmware. Again a reasonable error message.

I installed the Thunderbolt software and launched it. This time the update failed with 0x10430002. Probably had something to do with the fact that I didn't reboot after installing the ATK package.

I rebooted, tried the update again and the familiar 0x10430004 failure appeared. Wouldn't a descriptive error have been nice here. 🙂

I Googled the error, but virtually no hits - that's never a good sign.

The thunderbolt device certainly is recognized by the TB software, but I'm getting nowhere trying to bring it up to date.

Any help would be appreciated. I have my doubts ASUS will be helpful with something obscure like this.

Just to cover all the bases, I made sure I updated absolutely everything available on the Asus site for the G752VL. So I updated, card reader, Bluetooth, LAN, WLAN, etc. ASUS LiveUpdate shows no updates available.

Absolutely everything is updated on this machine except the Thunderbolt firmware. I tried it several times after the other updates were complete. Same error message.

Where to go from here I do not know but this TB port is basically useless until I get the firmware updated.

Haven't hit this kind of impass with a PC in a long time. Really frustrated.

Amusing... I'm so frustrated I typed in the Captcha as the title. 🙂

Just reaching, but I decided to update the Chipset drivers (inf files) to the latest from Intel. That is 10.1.1.14 as opposed to the latest on the ASUS site which is 10.1.1.9.

Still no joy. Same stupid error when attempting to update the firmware.

During my attempts to update this firmware I have usually seen revision 10.0 for the NVM firmware version as I posted above. A couple times I have seen the "Details" page of the TB software show:

NVM firmware version: 0.00

At that point I wondered if I had somehow corrupted the NVM firmware memory while attempting to update it. However after rebooting, the NVM version went back to 10.00

That made me wonder if the utility is actually looking at a valid NVM firmware version number.

QUESTION: Has anyone here actually seen NVM firmware version 10.00?

If not, then maybe my NVM firmware memory is bad or corrupt and it's not really reading a valid firmware revision at all.

CladMaster
Level 7
OK, try this.......

Make sure you are logged into the laptop as Admin

Start the Thunderbolt software from the Start bar and make sure it's running and on the task bar next to the time / clock

Right click the update file for the firmware and run it as Administrator, it's the second option down in the list.