cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 - Share Your Thoughts...

SlackROG
Level 10
We all know, those of us who are long time Windows users, that's there's always been negative talk on every version that has come out, so is Windows 10 really any different?

The privacy/spying issues have been going on with many versions of Windows.

Ok maybe privacy/spying isn't any worse, but then you have to learn a new system, to lock it down if you are concerned, just another pain to deal with.

Also the word going around is that Windows 10 is the last version, and as such is a now considered a Service, meaning Windows will never be considered complete, which means that the operating system will continue to be a work in progress.

If Windows is now a Service, and will constantly be a work in progress, well you can kiss your stability good bye, that is a pretty easy given in the world of software and bugs.

As xeromist pointed out, I ended up sounding contradictory with a statement of not wanting anything to do with Windows 10, but what I really meant was, what choice do I have if I want the latest OS.... So I edited this post over to clarify what I was really trying to say, which originally didn't come out right, my bad...
😞

Regardless of how true any of this is, I can say for at least myself, I'm not happy with what I'm hearing in regards to the same old stories of past, that seem to continue on, spying and privacy and how that relates to Windows 10, but if I want the latest OS, it doesn't leave me, or anyone for that matter much choice when it comes to gaming.

I'd like for others to share what they know about this system and their own personal experiences.

Should we continue supporting this company, or is it long over due, that it's time to embrace Linux? The truth is, we will have better Privacy, Security and Stability with Open Source Software, that's also another given, and the nature of Open Source.

Check out these links from the Freedom Software Foundation;

https://www.fsf.org/news/the-fsfs-statement-on-windows-10
http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/windows
https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html
66 REPLIES 66

haihane
Level 13
i'm not sure what to reply to you, so imma go on a self-rant about win10 experience:

i've already fogotten the winXP's shortcuts to most stuffs due to me not using them for a prolonged period of time.
recently, i had to deal with windows 7, and there is this feeling of... i know i used to use this, i loved this to death. now that i see you again, i feel like we both moved on with our lives. and here i stand reminiscing about the good old days we both had.

Win8, win8.1 -> best summed up in this anime snip below:

whenever i had to deal with win8, i'd first google Classic Shell and install it before anything else.

i've gotten used to Win10, and could not care so much anymore about Microsoft's data collection jerk-move policy.
i can't picture myself abandoning windows platform anytime soon and go for Linux.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

SlackROG
Level 10
It's a shame that more people don't discuss on a topic like this as Windows users. In an Open Sourced community people do share and discuss more on the subject matter of an Operating System.

For those that have never heard of the Free Software Foundation, they present some interesting reading;

https://www.fsf.org/news/the-fsfs-statement-on-windows-10

I'm a Windows user, because the choices for gaming are limited in Linux, but games that run on Linux, I choose it anyday over Windows.

In the meantime I'm really digging to find real facts here, not just tinfoil hat nonsense, because I'm only trying to be open minded here.

I do think that as big as MS is, if something was going on, then something would be done, afterall that was the impression the USA gave the people when it stood up to the NSA spying on the American people.

Maybe the Privacy/Spy issues aren't really that bad, but who really does know the facts over this?

The biggest concern I have is over the stability and security of the system, since the concept of Windows seems to of changed now to an OS as a continual work in progress... I guess Windows has now become a Rolling Release...

Hmm

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
I do not have a choose for the moment. My gamming Pc has windows 10 and for the rest of all things, including the server is mac. period. but the MS windows OS will be more and more like MACOs. There will be always bugs in windows. always. I have being fighting with bugs since I start using PC again last year. bug after bug after bug. after 200plus updates what I can expect. all software manufactures will adapt on the changes of windows. like MACOS. is hard work, and a lot of it. Concerning the privacy/spy issues, well. you install it, live with it! that is what I can say. is not the US. is everyone that use windows 10. the only important issues here. It is ASUS forums. play ,enjoy, learning teaching and have a good time with our products. and that is how these site as to be.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

davemon50
Level 11
It's a good topic, thanks for posting. My experience with W10 (-64 Pro) has been mostly a good experience. I've always used Windows, and I really liked W7 for its stability and new features, as well as how you could customize it to your liking. As Admin you had some pretty good control.

I never used W8 or 8.1, jumped directly from 7 to 10, and I haven't been disappointed. I am still learning how to use tiles in lieu of desktop shortcuts, although I use both. I didn't really have any stability problems with W7, but W10 is pretty solid. Loooooong shot from W95 back in its heyday.

I am disappointed with two aspects of W10 right now. The first is the updates procedure. In W7 you had much more transparency and easy control over updates. And this should be how it is, with Windows' history of some updates screwing things up for you. In W10 I have policy changed to the way I want it, but you actually have to download an additional tool from MS if you want to hide certain updates. It's just more difficult overall to take more control over updates. And unfortunately, that seems purposeful by MS, and I'm not happy with that decision.

The other thing is power management. It's really poorly coordinated in W10. There are numerous issues with conflicts between the power management and other software. And it's too complicated. Plus, as mentioned in some other threads, MS has deliberately hidden many of the power management features that you could control if they were visible. You have to hack the registry to change that, so it really is deliberate on MS' part. Seems sneaky or underhanded. When I pay my own money for an OS, I want to have my control over it. And I want it transparent.

Other than that, I like W10. It's stable, good looking, efficient, and capable. Not sure if that's what you were looking for, but it's my initial reaction.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm not worried about privacy. In 2017, privacy is a fallacy. There is none.
Davemon50

SlackROG
Level 10
Thanks for the input Itzycharles, and bugs are everywhere on every system out there, there's no getting away from that.

Thanks too Davemon50, anything you can share is great!

It's great to hear anything, especially to help users getting a better understanding of what's going on.

It almost sounds like MS is dumbing down Win10 like how Apple has been doing with OSX.

Control and Transparency, I couldn't agree more.

I guess you could say it would be nice if MS showed the world out there, by the choices it made, that not all users are clueless and needed to be spoon fed simple little options. But allowed users the choice of picking and choosnig, based on user level experience.

I guess to simplify it for the OS, Advanced & Beginner options, click a button and see what you want... 🙂

But again, getting back to what I think this community is going to be most concerned over is the stability and performance of Windows 10 for gaming, and from the information I've read online, I've seen quite a bit of negativity in regards to this.

Again, is Windows 10 the last version, and it's going to be this continual work in progress kind of an OS, rolling release? Well, I wonder if that's going to make for more problems. Like will it be more bleeding edge now, or MS will still wait to make sure of stability before a release/update/patch occurs...

Nate152
My personal experience with windows 10 has been good, that is with the standard version which I'm using now. The anniversary update worked ok but the creators update was messed up for me.

I'm not sure if directx 12 is fully up to par, it seems to do better with games that use the cpu more such as ashes of singularity, but other games like battlefield 1 directx 12 actually hurts performance.

Look for games that support Vulkan like Doom 2016, there aren't very many that support it right now, I'd like to see more games supporting Vulkan.

SlackROG
Level 10
Thanks Nate152

@davemon50, you mentioned; "I'm not worried about privacy. In 2017, privacy is a fallacy. There is none."

Well I do understand many people feel this way, but as a person you have a right to your Privacy. I think that's something everyone should respect.

I don't believe the issue is "Worrying", I think the bigger issue is, what information someone has, and uses against someone, and information that also becomes distorted, and not correct, bad information used against someone, and this has happened.

I personally think the world is trying to shape our views into thinking being open and transparent is the way of the future, just like how we think about wanting an OS to behave.

In the end, no matter what our own beliefs are, I believe what is true is "CHOICE"! That everyone has the right to choose what they believe is best, and that no system, OS, media/news, or government can shape, and tell us what we should be doing, it should always be our choice to pick and choose!

I'm a firm believer in privacy and security, because I should have a choice, it is afterall, suppose to be my right! I believe if we give up our rights, then there will always be those that use them against us!

SlackROG wrote:
@davemon50, you mentioned; "I'm not worried about privacy. In 2017, privacy is a fallacy. There is none."

Well I do understand many people feel this way, but as a person you have a right to your Privacy. I think that's something everyone should respect.

I don't believe the issue is "Worrying", I think the bigger issue is, what information someone has, and uses against someone, and information that also becomes distorted, and not correct, bad information used against someone, and this has happened.
I'm a firm believer in privacy and security, because I should have a choice, it is afterall, suppose to be my right! I believe if we give up our rights, then there will always be those that use them against us!

Well I don't disagree with your philosophy necessarily, but my point was there's nothing you can do about it unless you move into a cave and disconnect everything electronic. The fact is datamining about you is going to happen, and in more ways than you'd like to think. Unfortunately though, MS has not cornered the market on that kind in invasion, they are just another entity taking advantage of it. I dare say it matters not what OS you use in that regard. This is why I said I'm not worried. I am not worried as it pertains to operating systems. MS just puts themselves out there a little bit more so they're more conspicuous. But the fact is no matter what OS you choose you're going to be subject to similar scrutinies. So I view it as a non-issue as it regards OS'. Not to say that I don't feel privacy is precious and that I don't want to maintain it as much as possible, because I do.
Davemon50

xeromist
SlackROG wrote:
I don't want anything to do with Windows 10

SlackROG wrote:
I'm only trying to be open minded here.

I haven't replied because these two statements are in direct contradiction to each other. Sounds like you've pretty much made up your mind already.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…