cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VMK Multiple Displays and Ports

xelas_bigmac
Level 7
I bought a GL502VMK a few weeks ago and ordered a minidisplay to vga adapter which simply doesn't work with absolutely no signal on the external display. However, a friend of mine is able to output a video signal, although can't do FullHD, which was supposed to. I tried checking if I have thundebolt or not. I installed the software and when I go check the details, nothing shows up. I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with this laptop as far as multiple displays are concerned. I'd like to use the MiniDisplay port or/and (if possible) the USB-C port as well, which would give a total of 4 displays. It's for work, not gaming. Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

link626
Level 7
I've never used a mdp to vga adapter, but I can confirm the gl502vm/k supports 4 displays simultaneously with other adapters.

there are 2 displayports... one mdp, the other dp over usbc.

Getting a working adapter requires luck, as some active converters (like your vga) are just not compatible.

Are you using a monitor with only a vga port?

If you can avoid it, get a mdp-hdmi adapter instead. They are cheap, and can be had regularly for a few cents on ebay. This is the one I have, and I believe it is a passive adapter and does full hd just fine.

I also have a usb-c hdmi 2.0 active adapter. The adapter chipset is Via VL100 paired with Parade ps176.
these are the ones I can confirm that work. There are a bunch of usb-c hdmi adapters that are only hdmi 1.4.

You can also use a passive usb-c displayport adapter.

As for thunderbolt, you need to update your software and firmware from the asus website for your laptop model.
If your bios has a thunderbolt entry, you have thunderbolt.

link626
Level 7
I've never used a mdp to vga adapter, but I can confirm the gl502vm/k supports 4 displays simultaneously with other adapters.

Getting a working adapter requires luck, as some active converters (like your vga) are just not compatible.

If you can avoid it, get a mdp-hdmi adapter instead. They are cheap, and can be had regularly for a few cents on ebay. This is the one I have, and I believe it is a passive adapter and does full hd just fine.

I also have a usb-c hdmi 2.0 active adapter. The adapter chipset is Via VL100 paired with Parade ps176.
these are the ones I can confirm that work. There are a bunch of usb-c hdmi adapters that are only hdmi 1.4.

As for thunderbolt, you need to update your software and firmware from the asus website for your laptop model.

link626 wrote:

I bought a passive adapter from ebay which doesn't work. I'm not sure why and the seller said he'll send another one since it seems to be a defective part. USB 3.1 is there at the USB-C port so I think that a USB-C 3.1 adapter to video output (vga, hdmi, dvi or mdp) can be used, although I haven't tested it. As for Thunderbolt, I can see just an option at the BIOS (User authentication, Video Output and another option), but when I install the software and check the details, nothing shows up. Also, there's nothing regarding Thunderbolt in the Device Manager. So I think my Unit has no Thunderbolt and only the BIOS has some kind of option since it suits both models, I don't know. The reason why I nees VGA is sometimes I use a second monitor at school which only has VGA port.

xelas_bigmac wrote:
I bought a passive adapter from ebay which doesn't work. I'm not sure why and the seller said he'll send another one since it seems to be a defective part. USB 3.1 is there at the USB-C port so I think that a USB-C 3.1 adapter to video output (vga, hdmi, dvi or mdp) can be used, although I haven't tested it. As for Thunderbolt, I can see just an option at the BIOS (User authentication, Video Output and another option), but when I install the software and check the details, nothing shows up. Also, there's nothing regarding Thunderbolt in the Device Manager. So I think my Unit has no Thunderbolt and only the BIOS has some kind of option since it suits both models, I don't know. The reason why I nees VGA is sometimes I use a second monitor at school which only has VGA port.

That's normal for the thunderbolt software to show no information. They stopped showing information starting from the kabylake gl502vm.

The same thing happens with the GL702, and those for sure have thunderbolt.
so rest assured you have thunderbolt.

So you bought a passive adapter.
Google shows that several adapter manufacturers say you need an active adapter.

hitardo
Level 7
I have my laptop connected to an external monitor through HDMI 90% of the time.

The other 10%, my laptop is connected to a projecto through VGA.
I bought a mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter and it works very good:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B013UULUL4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It also has HDMI and DVI.

I also purchased a HDMI to VGA adapter, but in order for it to work I would have to reboot my laptop every time, which is not acceptable.
So, I highly recommend a mini DisplayPort adapter to the port you want in order to have a good experience.