Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisChild View Post
    This was normal behavior on previous platforms when cutting off power to the board.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about.
    Fair enough but it wasn't normal behaviour on any other bios for this board , I don't see why it would need to power on , power off ( and presumably load some bios changes ) and then re-power on every time , it should be set once and forget .
    The behaviour is same as if you set bad OC setting and it powers off to reset .
    In any case I have gone back to 3401 and all is back to normal .

New ROGer Array zebulon2 PC Specs
    zebulon2 PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus VIII Gene
    ProcessorIntel 6700K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R)
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX970 SC (04G-P4-1972-KR)
    Storage #1Samsung SM961 256MB
    Storage #2Samsung 850 PRO 512MB + HDDs Hitachi/Seagate
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-U9S
    Power SupplyCorsair RM850i
    OS Arch Linux 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by AndyVee View Post
    Upgraded M8F to this and have noticed an issue if anyone can help .

When powering on from cold boot ( power switch at wall was off ) system powers on then off after a second and then powers on and boots .
    I am reassured to see I am not the only one. I noticed this issue from BIOS 3503. I have found that many other users have reported the same behaviour: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...oblem&p=667772 or http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...ops-spin-again or http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...-start-problem or https://forums.anandtech.com/threads...lugged.200091/.

Each time this is an ASUS board, and this has been reported for many years, again with specific BIOS versions. Would be great wif ASUS could provide an explanation, but they seem to do this for some reason.

I noticed this happens either from cold, or by using the reset CMOS button, which shuts down the motherboard completely (as seen by the lights going off), probably having a similar effect to a cold boot.
    Last edited by zebulon2; 08-21-2017 at 10:02 AM. Reason: new link

zebulon2 PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel 6700K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R)
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-U9S
    OS Arch Linux 64bit

In any case I have gone back to 3401 and all is back to normal .
    The problem with older BIOS is the obsolete Intel microcode. Unless you use Linux where you can load the microcode from the bootloader.
    Last edited by zebulon2; 08-21-2017 at 09:51 AM.

ROG Member Array

How long should the bios update take? No matter which one I tried it seemed to take forever. I only ask because when I tried update to 3504, it wouldn't proceed after it rebooted - code D0. Had the same issue when trying older bioses as well. I don't know how, but I did eventually manage to get 3504 flashed and the Bios says it is on there. Used the system for 5-6 hours after, gaming, benchmarks and general use - seems okay to me.

What could have been the issue?

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array ondersma80 PC Specs
    ondersma80 PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus VIII Hero Alpha
    Processori7-6700K
    Memory (part number)F4-3000C15D-16GTZ
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Sound CardXonar DSX
    MonitorPG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #2Assorted SSD & HDD
    CPU CoolerNH-D14
    Power SupplySilencer MK III 850W
    Keyboard G105
    Mouse G700S
    Headset/Speakers Bose Companion 5
    OS Windows 10 - I moved on from the technology of the previous decade.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrmind5 View Post
    How long should the bios update take? No matter which one I tried it seemed to take forever. I only ask because when I tried update to 3504, it wouldn't proceed after it rebooted - code D0. Had the same issue when trying older bioses as well. I don't know how, but I did eventually manage to get 3504 flashed and the Bios says it is on there. Used the system for 5-6 hours after, gaming, benchmarks and general use - seems okay to me.

What could have been the issue?
    Should only take a minute. If longer: slow USB, USB problem, system instability. D0 is CPU initialization error.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array ondersma80 PC Specs
    ondersma80 PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus VIII Hero Alpha
    Processori7-6700K
    Memory (part number)F4-3000C15D-16GTZ
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Sound CardXonar DSX
    MonitorPG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #2Assorted SSD & HDD
    CPU CoolerNH-D14
    Power SupplySilencer MK III 850W
    Keyboard G105
    Mouse G700S
    Headset/Speakers Bose Companion 5
    OS Windows 10 - I moved on from the technology of the previous decade.

I don't get any of this cold startup power on then off then back on business during normal usage. In the past it was usually the new UEFI not working great with your memory or a failing battery. You have to use the UEFI release that works, manually tune the memory, replace the battery, or buy a more compatible kit.

By cold startup I am referring to shutting down the OS and having the system turn off. No sleep, etc. If by cold startup you mean shutting down in your OS then turning off your power supply or pulling the cord out of the wall, then yes a turn on then off then on is normal and it does the same on previous releases.

ROG Enthusiast Array Shenny PC Specs
    Shenny PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VIII Ranger
    Processori5-6600K @ 4.4 GHZ (Skylake)
    Memory (part number)2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666 MHz
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming
    MonitorAsus ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Intel SSD 330 240 GB
    Storage #2Seagate External HDD 4 TB
    Power SupplyCorsair RM 850x
    Keyboard Logitech G15
    Mouse Logitech G9
    OS Windows 10 x64

So far, I am quite happy with my current BIOS 3401 on Maximus VIII Ranger. I am wondering whether it is worth updating to the new BIOS. AFAIK, the main benefit in this version is the fix for the Hyperthreading bug. However, I am with i5-6600K CPU and, of course, I don't have this issue. So what do you think - is it worth trying it out?

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Upgraded M8F to this and have noticed an issue if anyone can help .

When powering on from cold boot ( power switch at wall was off ) system powers on then off after a second and then powers on and boots .
    This only happens after I have set O/C to XMP profile , if I set to defaults then it doesn't occur but then my memory ( Corsair Dom's ) aren't running at full speed .

This has not happened with all other versions I have used since getting this board ( only BIOS I didn't use was the beta 3101 )

Anyone any idea's or shall I roll back ?

UPDATE -- Issue confirmed , I have rolled back to 3401 and the above behaviour goes away so something not quite right with this
    I have to ask you. What is the point turning power off at wall? No reason to do that at all. I find it very strange to do that. When you turn off Windows, computer goes to standby. Next time you start computer you just hit the power button. That's normal behaviour. If you want to save power, go in to bios and change ErpReady to S4+S5 or S5. This will make the computer go into deep standby and save power. And it will also turn all LED off, so your motherboard is complete dark when turned off.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array HeroVIII PC Specs
    HeroVIII PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus VIII Hero - BIOS 3802
    Processori5 6600K, 3,9 GHZ
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z 3.200 MHz CL16 4x8GB (F4-3200C16D-16GTZ)
    Graphics Card #1Asus STRIX 1070 Ti Advanced
    Sound CardSabre SS9023P SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorSamsung SMART TV 55" 4K
    Storage #1Samsung SM 961 NVMe 256GB OS
    Storage #2Seagate Barracuda 4TB. ASUS HYPER M.2 X4 MINI CARD with Samsung SM 951 NVMe 256GB Game
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-U12S
    CaseCorsair 450 D, NZXT Sleeved LED Kit White
    Power SupplyCorsair RM850x ( 2018 ), FURUTECH Evolution Power II, with FURUTECH F1 50 R NCF, F1 E 50 R NCF
    Keyboard Rapoo E2000P
    Mouse Rapoo Optical Mouse
    Headset Sennheiser HD 595, Sony MDR 1 AB
    Headset/Speakers Onkyo TX-NR5009, 7.1 B&W 603 s3 Series and ASW 750
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64Bits UEFI 1903
    Network RouterMitrastar
    Accessory #1 ASUS ROG FRONT BASE - FW 48
    Accessory #2 ASUS PCE-AC56, ASUS DRW-24F1MT
    Accessory #3 Microsoft Xbox One Controller + Wireless Adapter for Windows 10

I confirm that the same thing happens to me with the "RE-Power", but I do not worry, although it is not something out of the norm, otherwise everything stable and with some slight improvement that I noticed in the macrodynamics of the sound, And the fans change speeds more smoothly when going from eg Standard mode to Turbo mode.

zebulon2 PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel 6700K
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-U9S
    OS Arch Linux 64bit

It is difficult to know what is going on without logs. Would UEFI provide some records of the POST process? Hence helping with pinpointing the reason why the motherboard needs to shortly stop.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast