cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG 751 JY not recogizing Samsumg M.2 960 PRO 2TB SSD

ButchN
Level 7
Hi, subject says it all.
The laptop boots to the BIOS (211) screen & does not show the new 2TB PCIE M.2 SSD drive.
It is a 3.0 x4 interface, so it should see it & work.
I tried enabling & disabling fast boot & the same with Launch CSM, still, nothing.
I plugged in my USB stick & it goes through what looks like the backtracker process copying to the hard drive, so it says, yet when it says remove USB & reboot, it comes right back to the BIOS screen.

Any ideas?
27 REPLIES 27

NeoBeum
Level 9
ButchN wrote:

Hi, the BIOS doesn't naively support NVMe. Also, with Secure Boot turned on. The 960s will have a harder time getting windows to install on them from a clean install on them because ss didn't sign the 2.2 drivers properly for boot critical. The 1.4.6 drivers are, but they weren't 960 WHQL. Unless someone else knows Samsung Consumer nvme driver 2.0 and above are needed for 960s

My G752VY runs fine on RST drivers no Samsung driver needed?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Darnassus
Status Under Review
... is it just the BIOS that cannot see the NVMe's? You can still boot to OS, correct? :f

NeoBeum
Level 9
I was implying having the laptop be able to see and give the nvme drive its own menu in BIOS.
You can still get it working, its just a few tweaks.
but the seperate bios menu doesn't appear for the 751.
im testing the difference driver signing has for windows major version update and secure boot
I have a feeling this is whats causing some problems during updates

edit: ah crap.. just realised I need to get installation images for 1607 to use with 1703.. I might use 1511...

ButchN
Level 7
The laptop boots to the BIOS with the 960 in its slot.
When I put the boot drive in slot 2, then the laptop boots, & in disk manager sees the drive.
But I can't seem to get the this much faster & better drive to work as the boot.

And Acronis doesn't seem to want to clone to this drive.
help please!

NeoBeum
Level 9

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?95535-Samsung-NVMe-2-2-Drivers-Not-Signed-WHQL-Required-fo...

The 960s need Samsung Driver 2.0+ to be able to operate in Recovery Environment. I deleted my version of 2.0, and only have 2.2. You might be able to use 1.4.7 (Ask one of the other guys that has a 960. I only have a 950)

ButchN
Level 7
Thanks, but while am somewhat pc literate, where would this driver be installed, to the SSD that does not boot to begin with?
Would I load the SSD as teh 2nd drive, then install the driver?

As it stands, & I have win 8.1, the BIOS is what is not recognizing the new SSD.

This confuses me.

Julskey
Level 10
I think the G751 does not support the NVME m.2. I think you need the AHCI version?

NeoBeum
Level 9
Not in a native sense, but you can get it to boot by loading the nvme drivers in the pre installation environment and recovery environment.
Ahci in bios is required for the moment, and disabling secure boot will help.

I'll have a solution ready for the g751 next week that users can compile themselves or use a prebuilt template on my github