cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help. My CPU is going mad hot.

domfather
Level 7
Not sure what's going on or how to go about this. My system according to the Asus suit was ideling at 36. Then out of no were the fans started getting loud and my temp was showing 75c. I quickly shut down the computer. The turns it on again went into bios and my temp was at 80c. And rising so I shut system of...I ddunno what to do and need help. Am using my phone to send this. My spec is I7 7700k 4.5ghz. No overclock. The motherboard is Asus z270 maximum ix formula and the CPU cooler is a corsair h100i v2. Please advise..
CPU: i7 7700k
GPU: EVGA 1080ti Kingpin
Ram: GSkill TridentZRGB 2x8 3200mhz
cooler: NZKT kraken x52
Psu: EVGA G2L 850watt
HD1: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB
HD2: WDCB 1T
HD3: WDCB 4T
Case: HAFX
14 REPLIES 14

Korth
Level 14
Is the AIO pump powered? If so, has it seized? Check all power connectors.

You might need to replace the TIM (thermal paste) between the AIO block and the processor IHS, the old stuff could've been incorrectly applied or just cooked off.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Is the AIO pump powered? If so, has it seized? Check all power connectors.

You might need to replace the TIM (thermal paste) between the AIO block and the processor IHS, the old stuff could've been incorrectly applied or just cooked off.

I doubt thermal paste was applyd incorrectly since iv had this upgrade since July with no issues...i was litraly on my desktop pluging in a ps4 controller and that's when it happend. I'm unable to get hold of corsair either to get an RMA also this unit is only 3 months or so old. I had an issue with the previous unit and they sent me this one....at this rate..I'm considering to just by a nzkt kraken... I'm afrade to turn it on.

domfather
Level 7
I turnd on the PC again and it said CPU fan speed error detected. Ensure CPU fan is properly installed on CPU fan header it adjust disable fan speed low limit options in the uefi bios. Everything is connected though. The fans on the radiator are spinning. I'm not sure about the pump though. I feel a slight vibration on the tubing. Not sure what to do. Any advise. I'm not sure what that message meens .

domfather
Level 7
I managed to check in the monitoring section in the bios and under water pump+speed to start with it said 4000 then 2055 then 3000 then it stoped on 650 and stays there...any ideas? Could it be a simple fix with a setting in the bios? Why would it suddenly do this???

davemon50
Level 11
Assuming you have your AIO pump plugged into your CPU_FAN header, make sure you have Q Fan control off. You need to make sure you have constant voltage to the pump and that it is not under control. Pump should read constant RPM all the time. The pump block will control the fan speeds. If you have that set up correctly and you are still getting wild fluctuations like that on the pump RPM then I suspect either your pump block has failed (or in process of failing) or you have a cable problem. Remove your pump block and power connection and reseat them, and make sure there are no "pinched" wires.

As stated above, if the TIM was not applied correctly it could've given you temporary stability while it was cooking off, and now this problem has exposed itself. So that could also still be your issue.

Another problem is sometimes the pump block is either screwed down too tightly or unevenly. Try resetting the standoff screws and not too tightly.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
Assuming you have your AIO pump plugged into your CPU_FAN header, make sure you have Q Fan control off. You need to make sure you have constant voltage to the pump and that it is not under control. Pump should read constant RPM all the time. The pump block will control the fan speeds. If you have that set up correctly and you are still getting wild fluctuations like that on the pump RPM then I suspect either your pump block has failed (or in process of failing) or you have a cable problem. Remove your pump block and power connection and reseat them, and make sure there are no "pinched" wires.

As stated above, if the TIM was not applied correctly it could've given you temporary stability while it was cooking off, and now this problem has exposed itself. So that could also still be your issue.

Another problem is sometimes the pump block is either screwed down too tightly or unevenly. Try resetting the standoff screws and not too tightly.

Thanks for replying. I went ahead and took the cooler of and I found that when I was doing this the top left screw of the cpu block would not come of but the othets came of fine and that screw only came of after the others and when it did the standoff came of with it..(one of the things that go in the 4 holes around the cpu). I screwed it in again but unlike the others it dose not tighten fully it just turns endlessly and the backplate feels Loos because of this....is this what could cause it.? Or is the lossnes of the backplate normal. I have not applyd the Tim as of yet because I'm not sure about this and I have limited Tim and don't want to waste it. Thanks

davemon50 wrote:
...then I suspect either your pump block has failed (or in process of failing) or you have a cable problem...

From my post above. It's speculation, but if you rule everything else out...
Davemon50

domfather
Level 7
K...I dunno. I took it all apart cleand the radiator reinstalled the stand ofs applyd Tim did everything from scratch. Turnd on PC and I get the same exact error message and temps still climbing..i looked in qfan controle and under aio pump and water pump there is no option for silent standard etc. the graph is blank...what should I do? Also should I of been using the corsair software to moniter it? I thought since Asus suite did all that for me I did not need the software....mad confused..

davemon50
Level 11
Yeah that can be problematic. It "could" work but if the backplate is loose then all you would need to do is sustain vibrations in the house and all can change.

Does your board have a built in backplate, or did you have to install one youself?

In the end, you should have a snug evenly applied fit off the backplate to the thumbscrews. No looseness, but not overtightened either. Personally the way I do it is I use thumbs only, alternating tightening in a star pattern a little at a time, until each thumbscrew resists tightening with a firm finger pinch (not all my might, just firm). Then I take a screwdriver and lightly turn it just a tiny bit more. If you hold the end of the screwdriver instead of wrapping your whole hand around it, then you can feel the comparison of tightness between the corners.

Anyway if you have a broken backplate standoff you need to resolve this.
Davemon50