cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(cold double boot) factory reset after turn on

Chazy_Chaz
Level 7
Hi there, I have a problem with my computer (not sure if is the psu, cpu or mobo). A couple of weeks ago my computer started doing a cold double boot, that is when I turn on my computer (after turning on the psu) it reboots before or after the post (not sure, 2 seconds or so) and then when it boots I see the screen that it asks me to press F1 to enter setup (a factory reset, if I'm not mistaken).

Some days ago, I decided not to turn off the PSU to make sure it's not the cmos battery and it isn't, the computer has kept double booting (although not always happens, I can't tell if it's time related or what). After researching on google (and a couple of forums) I decided to tear it apart and clean the dust, and making sure everything is well connected (and that there are no shorts anywhere). I saw a couple of strange things in the rear:

1. A bit of a circuit is peeled, like a scratch but just the black (protective?) layer, the copper is visible but just for less than half an inch of the circuit (this is on the top edge).
2. Behind the armor, just on the other side of where the liquid cooling install block is, I can see how the board has a burnt-like color, though the solderings are just fine, that color had me worried. Tried cleaning it with alcohol (96%) but I wasn't able to clean it (didn't want to force the cotton).

I was using the computer before cleaning it, so it was on. After that, it happened again, I turned it on and it did reboot (doing a factory reset). Not sure if worth mentioning, but the anti-surge feature was triggered two times that day after reassembling the compter, does this have something to do with the PSU? If it's broken or has some damage (or maybe it was just the electricity, but it was only my computer what was shut down) how can I test it (the PSU)? I know seasonic offers many years of warranty so I just have to contact them.

The computer is more than 3yo and I've never had a problem. After it started happening, I decided to strictly configure UEFI, things like disabling features I don't need/want (fast boot, all related to legacy --CSM, USB-legacy, etc--, wifi/bluetooth adapter, secure boot --cleaning the keys and then selecting "other os"--, etc...). It bothers me that I have to re-configure everything every time it happens...

Does someone know where the problem might me? I don't know what more to try, can someone tell me what tests can I perform to try and find the problem? The specs are there under my username.

Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

davemon50
Level 11
For your PSU question I would suggest borrowing a power supply from a friend or someone, and eliminating that as the problem. Also make sure you have enough power at the main outlet you are using (not overloaded somehow). You probably don't need to find another 1000W to test PSU, that's way more than enough based on your listed specs.

Are you on the latest BIOS ?
Davemon50

You're right, I should've tried another PSU already. I'll take one from another computer. Can the power cable be the cause? It's an old one (it's different physically but not the connector per se) but it's been more than 1 year with this cable (the only one that is large enough to get to where the power strip currently is). The PSU power has always been stable (the only problem I've had have ben those two cases with the anti-surge feature of the mobo) although there have been many random power outages due to reaching the watt limit but I don't think that can damage such a high quality PSU.

About the outlet, I have a power strip connected to it with the following: the PSU, 3 monitors, 5.1 sound system, 1 switch and the mobile charger. I don't think that's overloading it, right?

Yes, I'm on the latest bios revision (1603) since it came out. And I did re-flash it (using windows) recently to discard malware or firmware corruption/problems.

davemon50
Level 11
In theory if your circuit can handle all that then you're good, but everyone's house wiring is not up to code install. If all wiring is good the breaker will throw regularly if you are overamping and overloaded. But if not then the other scenario would be generating a spike on startup, which might de-power the board momentarily and cause the reboot.

Check the PSU however with replacement to rule it out. If it's good, can you say if you have reset your memory and CPU to clock speeds and tested? Also may be worth resetting all your BIOS settings to stock and retesting.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
the other scenario would be generating a spike on startup, which might de-power the board momentarily and cause the reboot.

That makes sense, it has a high probability of being the case, my house is 30+ yo and the installation is not ideal. The last house renovation was a botch job (including the electrical renovation). I'm capable of doing some electrical work so I may consider try and find a solution to whatever is going on, I'll need to test the outlet and see if it's stable.

I've actually never overclocked the CPU nor the RAM, I prefer stock settings for those. I did load the default UEFI settings when it started happening, and checked if it was fixed but it was not.

I'll start by replacing the PSU right now, and also I'll replace the cmos battery (just in case) once I receive them.

Edit: Curious thing, I've forgot to mention: yesterday I switched off the PSU before going to sleep, and today it did the cold double boot but it didn't do the factory reset... interesting, right?

Edit 2: I just did some more tests and it just does double boots on cold boot, it seems it has stopped doing factory resets.

I'm not sure about swapping PSUs, I've had bad experiences where the whole system (mobo, cpu, psu) died while trying the PSU on another computer... And it wasn't static, I wear cotton, nor leaving the psu mounted while connected to the other mobo...

I just saw another post here in this forum, it says that the cause for the double boot is the RAM, more specifically some Gskill models. And I happen to use Gskill (F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL). I can try some kingston sticks from my father's computer, I'll edit or reply once I finish testing.

About the PSU, it doesn't really feel like it's faulty nor the reason for this. It's a really good quality PSU (Seasonic Platinum) that has been working rock-solid for 3+ years. If it was another manufacturer (cheaper) I would seriously consider it. Also, part of the reason I don't want to replace it is laziness but more important, I don't consider it's worth the risk (anything could happen :p).

I did change the battery, and I did discover that it's no longer called CMOS battery but RTC battery as UEFI mobos don't use battery-backed memories anymore. The settings are stored in NV memory. At least that's what I got in clear from my research.

Also, the reason as to why the factory resets stopped (at all) will remain a mystery 'till the end of time... (And just in case: I noticed this on Monday 21, and I received the batteries on Tuesday 22)

And, for the first time I did record the debug code display and saw that the last two numbers before the reboot are 69, and 00 (this one like a millisecond) before the reboot (or shutdown, cuz it stays off for a couple of seconds before booting again).

davemon50
Level 11
That's a good power supply, and yeah now that you mention it I remember a similar thread to the one you linked (more recent?), thanks for linking it here.
Davemon50

I tried the kingston sticks but it started happening again right after configuring UEFI, so it wasn't the RAM, at least this case scenario.

So I just had hunted down the UEFI setting that what was causing the cold double boot (when de-powered only).

Enabling/disabling settings one by one, saving, shutdown, switching off the PSU, wait for the mobo to de-power and turn on again the PSU and mobo... That until I found the one causing it.

These two were the culprits (well, I disabled them both at the same time and it happened, I didn't bother disabling them separately):

- ASM1061 Storage Controller (SATA6G_E12 and SATA6G_E34)

What I don't understand is why it happens when it boots from a de-powered state... I mean, since mobos don't use battery-backed memories anymore, what does it matter if it's de-powered?

I would really appreciate if someone could explain this behavior. Also I don't use those ports, I don't even know the differences between the normal ones, so is there any way to disable them without having double boots? I guess that would require a firmware update... It's really not worth it if it doesn't affect anything being enabled but not in use.

davemon50
Level 11
Consider redownloading / reinstalling the Asmedia controller driver. There's another post today about this same issue on a different board. Coincidental? Did you happen to do a BIOS update recently around when this started?
Davemon50

I though OS drivers didn't affect low level stuff, like UEFI-related stuff.

I use Linux (4.9) mainly so the next time I boot Windows I'll reinstall it. I just noticed Asus updated the drivers web section but I don't see the Asmedia driver anywhere, what name does it have? I also noticed that the drivers for Windows 10 are more recent than the ones for 7/8.1, so the question is, do you know if they're compatible with 7 and/or 8.1? The only problem in Windows that I've had with drivers is the installation of the Intel chipset package (http://i66.tinypic.com/2j2gp6r.png), I read the solution was to uninstall a windows update but it didn't work. So in the device manager I have a yellow warning thingie (I think it was SM Bus Controller).

I did reflash the firmware (1603 - but it's almost 3 yo) in case it was infected with malware. But this was after all of this started happening.

Do you mind linking that other post? I can't find it.