cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutdown of system has fans and LEDs still on

pisymbol
Level 7
Any idea why shutting down my system will still leave the LED and fans on? Is this a BIOS bug or did I not connect something right?

Updated to latest BIOS doesn't fix it.
57 REPLIES 57

Mikan02
Level 7
LEDs can be controlled by the AURA software and from UEFI, but AURA have more advanced options.
You can make LEDs turn off when turning off the computer if wanted I think. But their on by default.

There is a firmware update for the AURA and LiveDash, first download on utilities. Unless you already updated it.
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-ZENITH-EXTREME/HelpDesk_Download/

Your pc case fans or? If so my fans stops like normal at shutdown.

My fans are connected to the he be quiet 900 pro fan hub via a PWR cable. I am wondering if that is the problem? I just noticed I don't see chassis fan speed output in the BIOS.

Raja
Level 13
Yep, likely due to the fan hub getting standby power for some reason. Seems there are options for connecting it to a motherboard header, but you need to set a switch and also make sure you have a fan plugged into the master header on the hub (that's the one that sends back a tach signal).

Can you please be more specific? What do you mean I have to set a switch?

I've attached the diagram in the be quiet 900 manual. The PWR cable (port A) is suppose to go to the motherboard. Right now I have it in Chassis Fan 1 or 2 (I forgot, but it is one of those). Some guidance would be appreciated?

Raja
Level 13
Looking at this post (quick Google search): http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3153127/dark-base-pro-900-fan-hub-problem.html

seems you need to disconnect the front panel switch from the board if you want motherboard control.

You will need to insert a fan onto the correct header on the hub. Not all of them will send a tach signal back to the motherboard. You've only got a few headers there, so I can't imagine it will take you too long to move a fan from one header to the next.

I don't have this fan hub here, so can only go by what i can find on Google. I havent checked the manual, so that part will be down to you.

Funny enough, AFAICT, the manual does not say that.

It says that the front panel switch has to be set to the "0" position (all the way to the left) to be controlled by the MB and that:

"Automatic PWM control of the fans requires cable “A” of the PCB panel (4.3) is connected to a PWM connector on your MB. Lacking such a connection the speed of the fans connected can only be regulated manually."

So my question to you is what is the official PWM connector on my MB? I thought it was any of the PWM fan connections such as CHA1 or CHA2 etc.? I will definitely see if fan is connected to the first port.

Btw, I have to verify, but even without the hub, I think my CPU fans (Noctuas plugged into CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT) remain on as well. What is that about? (I will double check though when I get home).

pisymbol wrote:
Funny enough, AFAICT, the manual does not say that.

It says that the front panel switch has to be set to the "0" position (all the way to the left) to be controlled by the MB and that:

1) So that alludes to the switch I mentioned in my initial post. I take it you hadn't read the manual before the initial post?..heh

pisymbol wrote:

"Automatic PWM control of the fans requires cable “A” of the PCB panel (4.3) is connected to a PWM connector on your MB. Lacking such a connection the speed of the fans connected can only be regulated manually."

That's self-explanatory. You connect a cable from the hub to an onboard fan header.

pisymbol wrote:

So my question to you is what is the official PWM connector on my MB? I thought it was any of the PWM fan connections such as CHA1 or CHA2 etc.? I will definitely see if fan is connected to the first port.

Any of the chassis headers should be fine. Yep, you need to make sure the fan is on the correct hub header. Only one will send a tach signal via cable A.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
1) So that alludes to the switch I mentioned in my initial post. I take it you hadn't read the manual before the initial post?..heh

You didn't ask and your comment above about a "switch" was unclear. I wasn't sure if you were talking about the motherboard or the chassis or what.

* * That's self-explanatory. You connect a cable from the hub to an onboard fan header.

And that's what I did. I used the CHA[12] connections which is listed as PWR.

*** * Any of the chassis headers should be fine. Yep, you need to make sure the fan is on the correct hub header. Only one will send a tach signal via cable A.

Alright, now we are getting somewhere. I will move around the fan connections on the hub and see if that helps.