Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pisymbol View Post

You didn't ask and your comment above about a "switch" was unclear. I wasn't sure if you were talking about the motherboard or the chassis or what.

Wait, I'm supposed to ask you if you've rtm? Ai yi yi...

Alright, now we are getting somewhere. I will move around the fan connections on the hub and see if that helps.

Must've missed this in the earlier post: "You will need to insert a fan onto the correct header on the hub. Not all of them will send a tach signal back to the motherboard. You've only got a few headers there, so I can't imagine it will take you too long to move a fan from one header to the next."

If you still don't get a reading, would also try a different chassis fan header (yes, on the motherboard). Chassis header 1 or 2 should be fine. The Pwr header can sometimes have stipulations for control/monitoring.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Lane 1417

It is still not working.

The hub is connected to CHA2_FAN toward the bottom of the MB. I moved all of my fan hub connections up one and they still remain on when the unit is powered but off.

MOREOVER, the CPU fans remain on even if the machine is turned off (the power LED light is off).

That is really strange to me.

I can move to CHA1_FAN but I rather not. It's a bit of a stretch. Regardless of the hub, what about my CPU fans? Why do they still remain on when the unit is off?

I have two Noctua fans connected to CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT. Shouldn't they turn off when the system is down?

ROG Enthusiast Array

One more thing, as soon as I turned on the power supply, both the chassis and cpu fans turn on. Before I even press the power button. I've never seen anything like this before (my CPU temp according to the BIOS is around 30ish C).

I also notice that when I turn the machine on, the CPU fans stop. And then suddenly go on. I assume this is part of POST.
    Last edited by pisymbol; 08-22-2017 at 12:09 AM.

It is still not working.

The hub is connected to CHA2_FAN toward the bottom of the MB. I moved all of my fan hub connections up one and they still remain on when the unit is powered but off.

MOREOVER, the CPU fans remain on even if the machine is turned off (the power LED light is off).

That is really strange to me.

I can move to CHA1_FAN but I rather not. It's a bit of a stretch. Regardless of the hub, what about my CPU fans? Why do they still remain on when the unit is off?

I have two Noctua fans connected to CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT. Shouldn't they turn off when the system is down?

A few questions.

1) What happens if you remove power to the fan hub card or unplug cable A (to the hub) from the motherboard? Wondering if it's leaking power back into the motherboard. Sounds like the logical place to start the debugging process. If cable a supplies power from the board to the hub, then the hub shouldn't need it's own power connection. The hub manual should stipulate this, though.

If that doesn't help:

i) which uefi version are you running? Update to the latest beta that is linked in the sticky thread in the zenith extreme subforum (uefi 9980). Also update the aura/oled firmware which is also linked in the same thread.

ii) And if that doesn't help, either, I'm going to need a complete list of everything plugged into the board.

One more thing, as soon as I turned on the power supply, both the chassis and cpu fans turn on. Before I even press the power button. I've never seen anything like this before (my CPU temp according to the BIOS is around 30ish C).

Suspect something is leaking power into the board, unless it's due to the firmware not being up to date (not heard of this as a bug before, though).

I also notice that when I turn the machine on, the CPU fans stop. And then suddenly go on. I assume this is part of POST.

It's normal for the fans not to spin up until a few seconds into POST.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

@pisymbol -

Corsair Link (with a Corsair PSU) can cause strange fan/LED/USB behaviours like those you describe. Are you using Corsair Link?
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Korth View Post
    @pisymbol -

Corsair Link (with a Corsair PSU) can cause strange fan/LED/USB behaviours like those you describe. Are you using Corsair Link?
    Nope. EVGA SuperNova P2 1200.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    A few questions.

1) What happens if you remove power to the fan hub card or unplug cable A (to the hub) from the motherboard? Wondering if it's leaking power back into the motherboard. Sounds like the logical place to start the debugging process. If cable a supplies power from the board to the hub, then the hub shouldn't need it's own power connection. The hub manual should stipulate this, though.
    Hub is powered by an external SATA connector. Not sure how the hub could effect the CPU fans though but I can disconnect it from CHA_FAN2 and see what happens.

If that doesn't help:

i) which uefi version are you running? Update to the latest beta that is linked in the sticky thread in the zenith extreme subforum (uefi 9980). Also update the aura/oled firmware which is also linked in the same thread.
    Whatever was shipped. I am on 503 BIOS though which did seem to change the fan behavior - the calibration tool works with the chassis fans through the hub via CHA2_FAN. I just can't get an RPM reading. But it has stepped those fans down quite a bit.

I assume I can load the CAP file on a USB stick and update the UEFI through the BIOS? I am not on a Windows machine.

ii) And if that doesn't help, either, I'm going to need a complete list of everything plugged into the board.
    Not a whole lot:

- All three ATX power connectors are connected to the MB/CPU ports on my modular EVGA SuperNova P2 1200 PS.
    - Asus Q-Connector is filled with power LED, hard disk LED, pos and neg LED jumpers (bottom right) and they seem to working just fine (power LED turns on when you press the power button, when accessing the NVMe I see the HD LED flash, and all LEDs are turned on the board).
    - USB 2.0 and 3.1 is also connected and work fine (bottom and right)
    - CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT are connected to the Noctua fans on the NH-U14S TR4-SP3 heatsink (top left corner)
    - Speaker audio is connected to the AAFP connector (bottom left)
    - PWR cable from port A on the hub is connected to CHA_FAN2 on the motherboard (bottom middlish)

I will double check the above when I get home but I'm 99% sure the above is correct (this will be a triple check).

Suspect something is leaking power into the board, unless it's due to the firmware not being up to date (not heard of this as a bug before, though).
    Note that the Power LED light does turn off when I hit the switch.

Hub is powered by an external SATA connector. Not sure how the hub could effect the CPU fans though but I can disconnect it from CHA_FAN2 and see what happens.

As stated in my earlier post:

"Wondering if it's leaking power back into the motherboard."

So, as stated in the previous post, I'd start with unplugging of the SATA power cable to the fan hub or unplugging it from the board fan header (lest the hub is leaking power to the board).

If that doesn't help, then go with the UEFI update AND the firmware update for Aura/the OLED panel (this is kinda important).

Yes, you can save the 9920 UEFI .CAP file to a USB drive and update the UEFI by using EZ Flash (within the firmware - as shown in the motherboard manual).

Based on what you've stated so far, I'm leaning towards leaking power or the board/Aura/OLED firmware causing some microcontroller funk. The former you can check by unplugging the cables (as already advised), and the latter by updating the board and aura/oled firmware.

ROG Enthusiast Array

EDIT: I was confused. 9964 is the old one. Alright, straight to 9980. But I don't know how to update the Aura stuff.
    Last edited by pisymbol; 08-22-2017 at 06:10 PM.

Go straight to 9980. Make sure you download and update the aura/OLED firmware that is linked in that post, too (you can't miss it!).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast