Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

How do I update the OLED firmware and such without Windows?

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pisymbol View Post
    EDIT: I was confused. 9964 is the old one. Alright, straight to 9980. But I don't know how to update the Aura stuff.

It's an executable. Run it from the Windows desktop.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I don't have a Windows desktop. The box is running Linux.

Or are you saying I can remotely update from another machine running Windows?

Or are you saying I can remotely update from another machine running Windows?
    Where is it implied this would be possible? I didnt say run it remotely from the Windows desktop...You need a local Windows install to use the tool.

Or are you saying you'll program your own tool for linux?

Always wise to keep a Windows install handy. Generally speaking, motherboards do not have firmware update tools or software utilities for linux operating systems. If that's the only install you have, you're stuck unless you're willing to install Windows.

ROG Enthusiast Array

What is the ramification of not updating the OLED firmware but still updating to 9980?

I again don't have Windows.
    Last edited by pisymbol; 08-22-2017 at 08:12 PM.

The update is recommended regardless of the uefi version your board is using. You're going to need a Windows install to do it. No choice if you want to update the aura/oled firmware.

I'll await your updates on performing these updates and whether unplugging the fan hub helps with the issues. No need to reply until you do. Good luck!

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

@pisymbol: http://uk.pcmag.com/operating-system...om-a-usb-drive
    Prereqs: >=16GB USB stick and another computer with Windows 10 installed.

ROG Enthusiast Array

@Ljugtomten: Thank you so much! That's what I did and it worked!

@Raja:

Still broken. I updated to the latest BIOS and firmware as per your request and neither fixed it. I then disconnected power from the fan hub and that does indeed prevent the chassis fans from running (expected), but the CPU fans and LEDs are also running even though the box is technically still off (again, ZERO power to the hub). I then disconnected the PWR cable from CHA_FAN2 and still no change. I then disconnected HDD Audio connector - no change. I then rechecked the pins on the Asus Q-Connector to make sure those were all right (and they indeed follow the key map exactly). I did not take out the USB 2.0 and 3.0 connectors because they are both working correctly AFAICT (I plugged in both a USB 2.0 and 3.0 dongle and both were recognized without issue on two different operating systems no less).

Again, I have the EATX 24-pin and two 8-pin 12V EATX connectors connected and I am using CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT to connect my two Noctua fans as well.

I am at a loss on why both the LEDs and CPU fans are always on as long as the power supply is on (regardless if the machine itself is turned off).

Note that when the power is on but the machine is off the OLED display reads CPU Code 00.

Any other info you would like?
    Last edited by pisymbol; 08-24-2017 at 12:21 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Speak of the devil:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...-running/page3

This definitely sounds like a BIOS issue.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Speak of the devil:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...-running/page3

This definitely sounds like a BIOS issue.
    That does look like the root cause and good for everyone with an ASUS motherboard to know.
    If I were you, I'd create shortcuts that reboots / poweroff / suspend and observe if a full poweroff is performed when executing that command.
    You could try that with the USB-stick you created for the Aurora FW-update.

As you are using Linux as an OS, does it behave differently if you use "shutdown -h now" or "poweroff -h"?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast