Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: RAID Support

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

I have a feeling the option to initialize the virtual disk which prepares the physical disks are in "Array Management" or the other option there..
    Never fiddled with RAID on this board, only on Dell servers with dedicated RAID card where you assign physical disks to a virtual disk and then initialize the virtual one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dell_RAID.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	67223
    Last edited by Ljugtomten; 09-06-2017 at 08:48 PM.

Ultimate Elite ROGer Array Zarrku™ PC Specs
    Zarrku™ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus K501UX
    MotherboardAsus ROG Zentih Extreme
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 1950x
    Memory (part number)32GB Gskill Ripjaws
    Graphics Card #1AMD Radeon R9 295
    Graphics Card #2AMD Radeon R9 295
    Sound CardSupremeFX S1220
    MonitorASUS PB258Q Black 25"
    Storage #1Samsung 840 Evo x2 250GB
    Storage #2Samsung 960 Evo 256GB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100iv2
    CaseCorsair Graphite Series 780T
    Power SupplyCrosair HW1000i
    Keyboard Logitech MK550
    Mouse Logitech MK550
    OS Windows 10 64bit
    Network RouterNetgear Nighthawk x8

Unhappy No options to Initialize in the Array Management Menu

No. There is no options in Array Management to Initialize the drives. There is an option to initialize the drives on the other menu. But you cant use that option once you make an array. I wish you could. Asus Technical support response was to use AHCI instead of raid. Which I told them was ridiculous. I didn't buy a gaming machine to run non raided disks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ljugtomten View Post
    I have a feeling the option to initialize the virtual disk which prepares the physical disks are in "Array Management" or the other option there..
    Never fiddled with RAID on this board, only on Dell servers with dedicated RAID card where you assign physical disks to a virtual disk and then initialize the virtual one.

Name:	Dell_RAID.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	67223

New ROGer Array derrickmehaffy PC Specs
    derrickmehaffy PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Zenith Extreme
    ProcessorAMD Threadripper 1950x
    Memory (part number)32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200
    Graphics Card #1Asus GTX 1070 OC
    Graphics Card #2Asus GTX 1070 OC
    Monitor6x 24" LG Neo Blade (Yes 6 of them)
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Evo 500GB
    Storage #24x Intel Enterprise SSDs 800GB
    CPU Cooler(Temp) Corsair H100v2
    Case(Temp) Corsair Obsidian 750D
    Power SupplyCorsair AX860i
    Keyboard Logitech G19s
    Mouse Logitech MX Master
    Headset Logitech Artemis Spectrom
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterCustom PFSense
    Accessory #1 TrakIR 5

Quote Originally Posted by Zarrku™ View Post
    No. There is no options in Array Management to Initialize the drives. There is an option to initialize the drives on the other menu. But you cant use that option once you make an array. I wish you could. Asus Technical support response was to use AHCI instead of raid. Which I told them was ridiculous. I didn't buy a gaming machine to run non raided disks.
    Just to confirm when your attempting to install windows and you point to a device for the raid drivers you have the usb key that came with the board and your point to the root of it? (I believe its been a while that I have had to do it, you also select all sub files/folders ect)

I know it can be done, given I used an nvme drive to setup the raid (booted into windows and followed the steps on the 1st page) then rebooted and installed windows on top of that.

Have you tried booting into a live version of linux and confirming it can see the virtual disk?

Also Asus support hasn't been very smart in regards to this, I've had to have my case escalated about 6 times now and get different responses from the general stupid script response to a "uhhhhhh. I don't know"

The last email response being (and I specified this was for 4x SATA SSDs)

Hello Derrick Mehaffy,

Thank you for your response.

Thank you for your patience, after making checks, we're seeing where NVME RAID does not support with this platform due to platform limitation and EZ Wizard is disabled in the BIOS. We apologize for the troubles caused by this.

Please make note of your case number for future reference: NULL

Regards,

ASUS Technical Support

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by derrickmehaffy View Post
    Just to confirm when your attempting to install windows and you point to a device for the raid drivers you have the usb key that came with the board and your point to the root of it? (I believe its been a while that I have had to do it, you also select all sub files/folders ect)

I know it can be done, given I used an nvme drive to setup the raid (booted into windows and followed the steps on the 1st page) then rebooted and installed windows on top of that.

Have you tried booting into a live version of linux and confirming it can see the virtual disk?

Also Asus support hasn't been very smart in regards to this, I've had to have my case escalated about 6 times now and get different responses from the general stupid script response to a "uhhhhhh. I don't know"

The last email response being (and I specified this was for 4x SATA SSDs)
    I don't think Zarrku™ is at a point where OS can be installed on the drive no matter the amount of drivers.
    The step to initialize the created virtual disk seems to be missing from UEFI, a step that you performed from the RAID tools within Windows.

See step #2 in the guide for Dell PERC H730P that I mentioned I am familiar with:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/...=en#initialize

derrickmehaffy PC Specs
    Keyboard Logitech G19s
    Mouse Logitech MX Master
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Accessory #1 TrakIR 5

Quote Originally Posted by Ljugtomten View Post
    I don't think Zarrku™ is at a point where OS can be installed on the drive no matter the amount of drivers.
    The step to initialize the created virtual disk seems to be missing from UEFI, a step that you performed from the RAID tools within Windows.

See step #2 in the guide for Dell PERC H730P that I mentioned I am familiar with:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/...=en#initialize
    Aye yeah I do work with the Dell PERCs often, I also am thinking this is the problem, hence why I was wondering if he can boot a live linux and initialize from there instead. Generally on these "fake raid" motherboards the initialization is done automatically once the array has been created but as you also have guessed, it seems to be missing.

ROG Member Array

Well it does seem like we are in a pickle here then...
    Non bootable RAID arrays is close to a deal breaker on the AMD platform if you are forced to run "Bugdows"
    So it seems like I will need to plan for that GPU purchase and run a proper OS under the hood that can handle good software RAID, and throw Win 10 into a virtual machine.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Zarrku™ View Post
    I cannot get the Windows 10 64bit raid drivers to work. I have successfully created the raid 0 array in the bios. When installing Windows 10 64bit and loading the raid drivers, none of the raid drivers make my raid 0 array appear. I have tried all the different raid drivers on usb stick. I have downloaded the raid drivers off the asus website tried to use them. None of the drivers make my raid 0 array appear. I am not using NVMe SSDs. You can not initialize drives once the array has been created. I have contacted asus support in this matter but have not received a response.
    I found the drivers in the amd chipset drivers under packages/drivers/xxx. I forget which folder under drivers exactly, but the install will check all the sub folders. Hope that points you in the right direction.

derrickmehaffy PC Specs
    Keyboard Logitech G19s
    Mouse Logitech MX Master
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Accessory #1 TrakIR 5

Just noticed this:
    UEFI build 0603
    Includes Ai suite patch, RAID driver update, and a patch for Inateck 7-port KTU3FR-5O2U to solve POST issues.
    In the Beta Bios thread: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...Beta-UEFI-0603

Link to Bios 0603 beta: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz2...lvSERwdk0/view

Not at home right now, but will test when I get back in a few hours.

New ROGer Array

Now available: Free NVMe RAID upgrade for AMD X399 chipset!

"There will be a new menu in your BIOS, or a new menu accessible with a hotkey during POST. "

https://community.amd.com/community/...?sf118247405=1

NOTICE: Any user that has an existing SATA RAID config must back up the array’s data and break down the current array before proceeding with driver install and BIOS upgrade.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Disappointed at benchmark results with NVMe RAID 0.

Name:	nvme-raid-2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	67835

4K Q32T1 is about 30% slower than when using a single drive.
    System feels slower and has micro stutter in file explorer.

Also don't try to install the Samsung NVMe drivers, it will nuke your system if you are using RAID.

Going back to single drive for now.
    Last edited by Saturn7; 10-03-2017 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Added condition.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast