cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAID Support

legendarypoet
Level 7
Everything I've read (including the manual) says this board supports RAID.
I cannot find a utility on the driver flash drive & AMD's RAIDXpert says there are no eligible components installed.
In the BOIS the utility that says it creates RAIDs just tried to apply an overclock.

Anyone know if RAID is actually supported
Thanks.
58 REPLIES 58

pisymbol
Level 7
You aren't using NVMes are you? That isn't supported by x399 as of today.

pisymbol wrote:
You aren't using NVMes are you? That isn't supported by x399 as of today.

No, that much I knew. These are 8TB 7.2ks.

Figured it out. For anyone else that needs to use RAID on this board in Windows (assuming you've already enabled in BIOS):

Go into device manager and install all missing AMD RAID drivers by scanning the driver USB drive.

Download Crimson RAIDXpert from AMD site (chipset section).
Run installer. Installer will claim no supported hardware.
It will extract to C:\AMD\
Open up the RAIDXpert folder> Packages> Apps> RAIDXpert2_TR> Setup.exe

Install should go through just fine, then launch the web console.

Not sure why the USB installer doesn't pick up anything RAID related.
The BIOS implementation doesn't seem to be accessible either. At least not as stated in the manual.

legendarypoet wrote:
Figured it out. For anyone else that needs to use RAID on this board in Windows (assuming you've already enabled in BIOS):

Go into device manager and install all missing AMD RAID drivers by scanning the driver USB drive.

Download Crimson RAIDXpert from AMD site (chipset section).
Run installer. Installer will claim no supported hardware.
It will extract to C:\AMD\
Open up the RAIDXpert folder> Packages> Apps> RAIDXpert2_TR> Setup.exe

Install should go through just fine, then launch the web console.

Not sure why the USB installer doesn't pick up anything RAID related.
The BIOS implementation doesn't seem to be accessible either. At least not as stated in the manual.

I too can't seem to find it in the Bios, after talking with Asus over support it should be in the EZ Tuning Wizard like other Asus boards, hovering over it also said it is for setting up storage but it doesn't seem to list it there. Asus has bumped me up to Tier 2 support and I should get an email in the next day or so. Sounds like it might be disabled in the bios for some reason. Mildly annoying for those of us without nvm-e drives to run as a boot drive.

derrickmehaffy wrote:
I too can't seem to find it in the Bios, after talking with Asus over support it should be in the EZ Tuning Wizard like other Asus boards, hovering over it also said it is for setting up storage but it doesn't seem to list it there. Asus has bumped me up to Tier 2 support and I should get an email in the next day or so. Sounds like it might be disabled in the bios for some reason. Mildly annoying for those of us without nvm-e drives to run as a boot drive.

Yeah. EZ tune just tried to OC. Never showed me any RAID options even after I let it OC.

You could install the OS on a spare drive, then do the RAID in windows as I listed, then install the OS on that RAID if you don't want to wait for support.

legendarypoet wrote:
Yeah. EZ tune just tried to OC. Never showed me any RAID options even after I let it OC.

You could install the OS on a spare drive, then do the RAID in windows as I listed, then install the OS on that RAID if you don't want to wait for support.

My problem is I only have my 4 SSDs, and as far as I know if you set the BIOS to raid none of the Sata Drives will show up to even install windows on. Are you saying to disable raid in the bios, install windows to one of them, then use the utility to setup raid, reboot, and -hopefully- the raid is setup to reinstall windows on?

Lmfao come on Asus, your crosshair v didn't have the best nor easiest raid setup but at least it worked lmfao. Not all of us can afford nvm-e ssd if we want speed, coming from the enterprise world these onboard raid controllers make dell look like a saint. I have an old LSI raid card laying around but it is certainly not up to par with with my SSDs I believe it only supports sata3 not sata6.

derrickmehaffy wrote:
My problem is I only have my 4 SSDs, and as far as I know if you set the BIOS to raid none of the Sata Drives will show up to even install windows on. Are you saying to disable raid in the bios, install windows to one of them, then use the utility to setup raid, reboot, and -hopefully- the raid is setup to reinstall windows on?

Lmfao come on Asus, your crosshair v didn't have the best nor easiest raid setup but at least it worked lmfao. Not all of us can afford nvm-e ssd if we want speed, coming from the enterprise world these onboard raid controllers make dell look like a saint. I have an old LSI raid card laying around but it is certainly not up to par with with my SSDs I believe it only supports sata3 not sata6.

Yeah it was certainly disappointing. Intel definitely spoiled me with their no-nonsense setup.

Mikan02
Level 7
Have you tried to load the raid driver while installing Windows after setting to raid in bios?
There should be an option for it on the left when you choose what SSD/HDD to install to.
There is a some drivers under "Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\RAID_BR\RAID_driver" when
you extract the chipset found on Zenith support page.
On the USB they are located at "Drivers\RAID\PT_RAID\RAID_driver"

I think some old chipset with raid required the same, maybe it works on the Zenith and other X399 too. 🙂

Mikan02 wrote:
Have you tried to load the raid driver while installing Windows after setting to raid in bios?
There should be an option for it on the left when you choose what SSD/HDD to install to.
There is a some drivers under "Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\RAID_BR\RAID_driver" when
you extract the chipset found on Zenith support page.
On the USB they are located at "Drivers\RAID\PT_RAID\RAID_driver"

I think some old chipset with raid required the same, maybe it works on the Zenith and other X399 too. 🙂

The problem is making the RAID to put the OS on (for the other guy, I have my OS on an NVMe). Option is supposed to be under EZ Turning, but it never lets you get past OC settings.